Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatic Capri

Options
  • 05-05-2016 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

I know nothing about autos.....my Capri was driving normally when the auto box stopped working and I coasted to halt. Gear selector doing nothing, feels very light....will start in any position, but no drive at all. Level in autobox looks OK and there were no noises or clues before hand....just stopped working.

any ideas what Is should look at?

1979 Mk3 1600auto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Starting in any position.. sounds like the box is in neutral and the linkage to it is broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

the odd thing is it was driving at the time....first thing I noticed was the engine stalled at 20 mph, restarted straight away, on the move still, but no drive . Does sound like it could be the linkage but it was already in drive....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I too have an automatic classic. Have you checked the 'kick down' cable?

If you have a Haynes workshop manual it should have a problems/solutions page at the end of each chapter to look up.

yeah, Haynes says the linkage or the fluid or take it to a main dealer. I can't check the fluid level when it won't drive, but I'm tempted to throw in a bit of ATF and see what happens.

The park function works so would that mean the linkage is OK?

0,25litre of ATF made no difference so I think it's broke.

• Advertisement

Follow up . My bad neck prevents me doing much but I finally got it jacked up and had a look. Linkage is working so I'm assuming it's a dead gearbox :-(

I sourced a gearbox from Pat Murphy in Ferns and Paul Buckley in Kanturk did the oily bits for me. Turned out the oil pump had failed, the gear sprocket had snapped. It's actually driving so much better now.

So I'm back on the road and looking for a show this weekend!

Advertisement