Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 Shay Elliott Memorial

Options
  • 05-05-2016 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

se_zpspcd6d67q.jpg

Time for one of the biggest races of the year again and I am delighted to announce that Bray Wheelers have secured a new title sponsor for the Elliott this year with New Ireland Assurance coming on board.

Sunday May 15th
    Sign on is at the Bray Wheelers clubhouse on Schools Road, Bray between 0900 and 1030. Parking will be available BEHIND St. Killian's Community School which is adjacent to the clubhouse.

Shower and changing facilities are available in Bray Wheelers clubhouse.

We have two new routes for 2016. The A1/A2 race will now descend into Ballinaclash after Rathdrum (as the SHA3 has for the previous two years) and will then complete 3 x 21km circuits around Ballinaclash - Woodenbridge - Avoca before going on to tackle the Elliott. The A3 race follows the route last year until Annamoe and then both races take on a revised final 20km to finish at Djouce woods on the top of Old Long Hill. This takes riders off the N11 and brings them back much closer to Bray. Once finished it is almost all downhill back to the clubhouse.

A1/A2 Route 152km: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12624145
    SEMAP_zps7vre3bf1.png

A3/Jun Route 89km: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12623600
    SHA3_zpsgjldvbol.png
    • Racing will commence in the A1/A2 race at 1100
    • Racing will commence in the A3/Jun race at 1105
    • Ladies to race in whichever Cat1/2/3 race their licence says
    • €15 entry
    • No pre entry
    • No A4 race
    • Both races will start with a 3km neutral roll out from the Bray Wheelers club house until all riders are on the N11.
    • There's a sprint prime for both races on the N11 at the top of the Newtownmountkennedy bypass at 13.5km approx (inc roll out)
    • There's a KOM prime at the top of the Shay Elliott for both races
    • A1/A2 race will have Neutral Service and Broomwagon support

Tough route and always a great race, right up there with the best in the country. While the organisation that goes into every race is mammoth and something that you'll never grasp until you're involved with running one, the organisation that goes into a race that covers such an amount of distance and diverse roads is absolutely epic. Over 100 marshals covering a number of different junctions each throughout the day.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Glenmalure_zps2l70pg7y.png

:)

Not only do Bray Wheelers bring you one of the best one-day races of the year ANYWAY :pac: but we are delighted to announce that Velo Moto TV will be in attendance recording drone and motorbike footage for a 30 minute show of the 2016 Shay Elliott Memorial which will air on TG4 this June.

Make sure your kit is matching, your socks are clean and of appropriate length, the legs have been waxed, and you're in a Merckx frame of mind to go up the road and get yourself on national TV!

Plastik wrote: »
    Not only do Bray Wheelers bring you one of the best one-day races of the year ANYWAY :pac: but we are delighted to announce that Velo Moto TV will be in attendance recording drone and motorbike footage for a 30 minute show of the 2016 Shay Elliott Memorial which will air on TG4 this June.

Make sure your kit is matching, your socks are clean and of appropriate length, the legs have been waxed, and you're in a Merckx frame of mind to go up the road and get yourself on national TV!

That sounds really cool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Fair play to you in Bray Wheelers for organizing that, even though I am unlikely to appear on TV unless they have one of those back of the peloton motos that spend far too long looking at the agonised faces of dropped riders. You can let the crew know that I am willing to offer my views on the race as Gaeilge, though they may have gone home by the time I'm finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

I better get my hair cut for the big day so Plastik!

As a lowly A4 I'm looking forward to this, it's the only time il ever be at the front of an A1 race (I'm in the lead car!!)

Quality field lining up for this one, it's gonna be a great race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jimmyjacob

Anyone know if there is online registration for this or is it on the morning only?

As per the first post, no pre-entry. Sign on is on Sunday morning in the club house.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jimmyjacob

As per the first post, no pre-entry. Sign on is on Sunday morning in the club house.

Ah. Thought I read it carefully. Obviously not! Many thanks Plastik.

https://youtu.be/vL1lNk3QbV4

A nice little promo video put together by Velo Moto TV :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I always thought glenmalure was about 60 km long..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

First time up the climb in a while - fair play on the facelift, and tidy up of the monument. Looking well for the race. I hope they don't get the same head wind as today!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

here's a photo of the facelift well done to the Bray Wheelers committee for organising this!elliott.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Muller_1 wrote: »
    here's a photo of the facelift well done to the Bray Wheelers committee for organising this!

The monument fell over back at the end of '70's.

A group of the young lads were driven up by two of the senior members and we reset it. Whilst we were up there working the circuit of Ireland Rally came along and closed the road. No one noticed we were there and when we were finished we set off down towards the vale of clara without knowing there was a rally on. Some of us were in the back of a flatbed V.W and we could hear a high revving engine coming towards us. The face of the driver and the navigator when they came around the blind corner and saw a V.W transporter pottering towards them was priceless :)

Roads are marked. Clubhouse is ready. We've arranged a convertible Aston Martin for Comm1. Wicklow Co. Cl. have swept the N11. And we've even arranged the weather.

@wheelers_bray & #ShayElliott for coverage on the Twittermachine live from Lead Car 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

Roads are marked. Clubhouse is ready. We've arranged a convertible Aston Martin for Comm1. Wicklow Co. Cl. have swept the N11. And we've even arranged the weather.

@wheelers_bray & #ShayElliott for coverage on the Twittermachine live from Lead Car 1.

Thanks and congratulations to the Bray Wheelers for the mammoth task undertaken today. Excellent marshalling and organisation for an event on a sunny Sunday in Wicklow. Great to see the Gardaí out in strength as their friendly presence really benefits the races.

It was nice to sign on at an actual clubhouse and see how clubs should operate within the sport. The last time I signed on in a real live cycling clubhouse was also a Bray Wheelers event when the old building was in use.

The spread of tasty treats and sandwiches post event was delicious.

Chapeau Bray Wheelers!

Beautiful day. Hard racing. I don't know if many had a chance to look around them but the Garden of Ireland was looking really well today. Thanks to everyone that signed on, biggest field for a long time with nearly 130 in each race.

Glenmalure. It never gets any easier, does it?

I hear the main event went off at lightning pace with 48 covered in the first hour and the first 100 clocked not long after 2h racing. One of the motos mentioned that riders were tipping 80 on the N11. Savage stuff. The A3 was easy by comparisson!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Well done Bray Wheelers. Epic event organisation!

The A3 was easy by comparisson!

Didn't realise you rode it - thought you were stuck with organisation. Sorry for just talking about my race when we were chatting afterwards!

And it was a brilliant show obviously. Thanks a million to everyone. When I looked down at my garmin and it said 100k up after 2 hrs 15 mins, I thought it was broken. Some craic climbing Glenmalure after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Great race - a lot of junctions and road to cover, all well marshalled. I punctured at just the wrong moment, but the broom was kind enough to stock me up with water and I continued merrily in the sunshine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 aworthycause

Well done to the lads and ladies of Bray. Planning the weather was a masterstroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Don't forget to post the date and time here it will be appearing on TG4 when you know it.

TX

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

buffalo wrote: »
    Great race - a lot of junctions and road to cover, all well marshalled. I punctured at just the wrong moment, but the broom was kind enough to stock me up with water and I continued merrily in the sunshine. :)

Karma for not leading the beginners spin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Few pic here from Rathdrum and The Shay Elliott climb itself

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142604725@N07/albums/72157668396887446

That was really good day for Bray Wheelers on Sunday, fair play to everyone who contributed - I know that organising a route like the Shay took a lot of planning. The biggest fields in a long time started both races, and the attacks started within 3 seconds of the start.

I had serious craic in one of the lead cars and really enjoyed the experience. Hopefully next year il be pedalling in the Sha3!

I think this video is class and well worth a look, it was taken on the loop section of the course as the riders went down a steep decent into a left turn over a very narrow bridge and then an immediate right turn. Proper racing roads!

https://youtu.be/zVbn_KT0plM

TG4
    Friday 1st July
    7.50pm

Advertisement