Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skellig Michael

Options
  • 05-05-2016 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

I am planning to visit Skellig Michael this year. I have a few questions for anyone who has been there recently :

What boat company did you use? There seem to be quite a few and some seem more reputable than others

Would it be a bad idea for someone who is afraid of heights?! (namely .... me!). I am nervous of heights - i dont enjoy being out on balconies/ viewing platforms that jut out over nothingness. I am ok when i feel secure/supported when i am at a height - if that makes any sense?!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Don't go near it if your afraid of heights, plenty of videos on Youtube showing the cliffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

If you're afraid of heights don't even think about it! The paths are steep and narrow - and they seem even worse when you're going down. It's a magical place and I'd recommend anyone to go there - but in your case, probably best admired from a distance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

lottpaul wrote: »
    If you're afraid of heights don't even think about it! The paths are steep and narrow - and they seem even worse when you're going down. It's a magical place and I'd recommend anyone to go there - but in your case, probably best admired from a distance :)

i actually just watched some videos on YT .... seems you and the above poster are right. People are so brave - i would never be able to go up those steps!

I wonder would it be a total waste to get the boat out and chill out at the bottom of the steps?

Parchment wrote: »

I wonder would it be a total waste to get the boat out and chill out at the bottom of the steps?

Not really a waste and there used to be a nice level little walk along towards the lighthouse etc but it was damaged in last winters storms and I'm not sure what the state of repairs is - either way you can't really see too much from down below - plus it could be a long wait if you're with friends etc.
    There used to be some boats that did sightseeing tours around the Skelligs, Valentia etc but I'm not sure if they're still in business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Not sure what companies I have used in the past but I recommend looking for one of the fast boats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

Several boats are doing tours around the Skelligs even now before the "landing" season starts. All leaving from Portmagee.

bog master wrote: »
    Several boats are doing tours around the Skelligs even now before the "landing" season starts. All leaving from Portmagee.

Thanks - that might be a better option for me. Im such a chicken about heights!

Parchment wrote: »
    Thanks - that might be a better option for me. Im such a chicken about heights!

I'm not overly fond of heights and its not possible to get near the cliffs. They are fenced off. It's a path with steps up the whole way. You'd be on solid ground the whole way. The only dodgy area is accessible only by permit and I think with an OPW guide. I really think you'll miss so much by just going for a boat tour around the islands. Go for it and I guarantee you won't regret it!

traprunner wrote: »
    I'm not overly fond of heights and its not possible to get near the cliffs. They are fenced off. It's a path with steps up the whole way. You'd be on solid ground the whole way. The only dodgy area is accessible only by permit and I think with an OPW guide. I really think you'll miss so much by just going for a boat tour around the islands. Go for it and I guarantee you won't regret it!

I really want to but i watched some videos of people going up the steps on youTube and the sheer drop at the side of the steps seems awful!

I would be happier to get onto the island and see if i could see how i felt about the steps then. I would hate to freeze mid-way up or even at the top and then have to delay everyone getting back down.

The steps are quite wide and it's possible to walk on the land side. I've been there twice (attempted to get there twice more but the sea was too rough) and I think that the videos make the steps look much worse than they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The steps are grand, I was there last Summer and everyone flew up them, young and old. It's not as high as it seems either

I'm grand with heights but bad with exposure...as in I'd climb up mountains roped up no bother, but scrambling up a sheer face that might only be a few metres high but with no safety if I fall will leave me gripping any ledge. And must say while the Skelligs was fine...I was conscious of sticking to the path. The South Pinnacle was off limits at the time I was out there and that looks like a good nerve shredder without ropes. Really airy.

If you do go out, look for the hermitage on the South pinnacle. It makes the monastery on the North of the island look like the ritz!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Ron603

I went there a couple of years ago. I'm also afraid of heights but I managed to do it. Going down the steps is the worst since there are no railing and you can see the whole path, making it seems higher than it is. There is a narrow path on the side of a cliff at the top but there is a chain railing to hold on to. It is definitly worth it, but if you're extremely scared of heights than don't go, I had to sit on my bum to go down the steps :D

Here's an old thread that I made about the Skelligs, I had a different account back then. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78449223

And if you decide to go then buy high quality climbing shoes with a good grip.

It's a magical place. I wouldn't be the best for heights either but I made it. Book now!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

Definitely go. I'm not the best with heights either but I managed it. It's only the last quarter that's really steep and if you think it's too much you can stay at a level area three quarters of the way up called christs saddle (I think!). Coming down from the top quarter was the hardest bit for me, but I just took it really slowly. No harm in going there and seeing if you're able for it. If you are great. If not you get to spend a bit of time on a beautiful island. Either way it's a good experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭shalom

Hi,
    any recommendations for boat companies?

Thanks

Another rockfall on the island recently - it definitely won't be opening for the season for a few weeks yet I'd say.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/further-rockfall-at-skellig-michael-deems-site-deeply-unsafe/

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭shalom

Another rockfall on the island recently - it definitely won't be opening for the season for a few weeks yet I'd say.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/further-rockfall-at-skellig-michael-deems-site-deeply-unsafe/

I phoned one of the companies regarding booking a ticket. He told me he could take me out in September. He had a few places left. It was otherwise booked until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The worst part of the trip for me was the boat over and back, if you suffer from motion sickness, it'll be a hellish trip over (way back wasn't as bad). One poor woman was so sea sick that she wasn't able to discover the rock after we landed
    shalom wrote: »
    Hi,
    any recommendations for boat companies?

Thanks

I went with this guy http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/john-o-shea/88357

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

siblers wrote: »
    The worst part of the trip for me was the boat over and back, if you suffer from motion sickness, it'll be a hellish trip over (way back wasn't as bad). One poor woman was so sea sick that she wasn't able to discover the rock after we landed

I went with this guy http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/john-o-shea/88357

Same thing happened to me years ago when we went to the Aran Islands. I was severely sea sick & it lasted a few days. I hate going on boats since then!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Paschal Sheehy was on twitter today stating it will be open for visitors this Sunday , right here.

As for being able to secure a place on a boat though, I'd say that'll be tough-going with demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Has it always been €60 per person. Pity, it puts it beyond families.

http://www.skelligexperience.com/other-sea-tours/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Pinch Flat wrote: »

I think it used to be €55. It's not really a place for kids, too dangerous in my opinion.

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    I think it used to be €55. It's not really a place for kids, too dangerous in my opinion.

Agree 110% - it's really only suitable for the surefooted and I'd be very cautious about bringing either the very young or the very old out to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Pinch Flat wrote: »

€50 about 5 years ago, but when you consider that there's full refund if weather is too bad, season is not very long, restricted numbers and the boats stay at the Skelligs whilst people explore, it not hugely expensive. Its also not a massive money spinner for the operators, all of whom do other work off season to make a living.

“… the most fantastic and impossible rock in the world … the thing does not belong to any world that you and I have lived and worked in; it is part of our dream world.“ George Bernard Shaw

Better value if you have sea legs is the 3 hour sea cruises around the Skelligs without landing - not sure the price, but as they don't land, numbers aren't restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I was considering doing this in the next month or so. I was in Portmagee last year but the weather wasn't good so the boat was cancelled.

Did I read correctly that the boats are booked out till next year? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

py2006 wrote: »
    I was considering doing this in the next month or so. I was in Portmagee last year but the weather wasn't good so the boat was cancelled.

Did I read correctly that the boats are booked out till next year? :eek:

I contacted one operator who said he was booked up to September, which is presumably the end of the season.

As far as I know all the operators that hold the licence to land there are on the following link - some i contacted were offering spots on cancellations. But all were booked out that I contacted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

The price is apparently €70 now.

Advertisement