Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skellig Michael

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

embraer170 wrote: »
    The price is apparently €70 now.

Is the life jacket extra ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭trellheim

Bump.

I want to visit on 3 August . Can anyone recommend a good person to book in with , please ?

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

trellheim wrote: »
    Bump.

I want to visit on 3 August . Can anyone recommend a good person to book in with , please ?

Thanks in advance

I would think you're too late, wouldn't think anyone has free slots now unfortunately, unless there are late cancellations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭embraer170

I called one of the places yesterday (the Moorings) and they have places in mid-August.

I would think you're too late, wouldn't think anyone has free slots now unfortunately, unless there are late cancellations
    Can you tell me what this means please , cant you just give a lad a few quid to take you out ?

• Advertisement

Can you tell me what this means please , cant you just give a lad a few quid to take you out ?

Sure aldi have the 2 man kayaks at the moment, buy 1 of those and off you go,

Wonderful answer - I hadn't thought of that , well done , you've certainly opened my eyes with being helpful like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

Bump.

Thanks in advance

Try these guys http://skelligtours.com/ I went with them last month and there were a couple of no shows on the day, you might be lucky.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I was passing through Portmagee last week and my wife asked how long is the wait. 5/6 weeks she was told. You're looking at September for going out I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Booked last week for a landing trip for 2 people 3 weeks thence.

A most incredible place.

Unfortunately more difficult to get a place on a boat due to Star Wars.

• Advertisement

First of all, it's miles out. You'd be paying them more than a few quid.

And secondly, afaik the island is owned by the OPW which only licenses certain operators to land on the island. So pretty sure other boats can't just rock up and fire people onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Ha!

Are you sure you haven't mixed up Skellig Michael, a rock 8 miles off the coast in the Atlantic Ocean, with Innisfallen Island in Lough Leane in Killarney.

Wonderful answer - I hadn't thought of that , well done , you've certainly opened my eyes with being helpful like that.

Ah no bother at all, if you're badly stuck I'd say one of the jarveys that does the ring of Kerry could take you out for a few quid extra, stick a few waterskis on the horse and you'll be there in no time, that's a proper seahorse

Ha!

Are you sure you haven't mixed up Skellig Michael, a rock 8 miles off the coast in the Atlantic Ocean

No. I have not. Same as the last time I booked an all day sea fishing trip at short notice for 8 lads. Ring a man and agree a price, job oxo, turn up and have a nice day out miles out from the coast, pay the man in cash at end of day. Crazy I grant you but there you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

No. I have not. Same as the last time I booked an all day sea fishing trip at short notice for 8 lads. Ring a man and agree a price, job oxo, turn up and have a nice day out miles out from the coast, pay the man in cash at end of day. Crazy I grant you but there you are.

I tried getting to skellig last summer - it's usually booked up months in advance as there's only a few operators licenced to land there.

From memory the OPW website has contact details for them. Expect about €70 - 80 per person for a landing trip i.e. Where you get to walk on the island. Trips around the island (i.e. Staying in the boat) might be cheaper and available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

The season, the boats and number of visitors per day are very strictly regulated.

15 boats each carrying 12 passengers may land once a day.

If weather is bad, the trip is cancelled and you get refunded.

No restrictions on boat trips sailing around the island without landing.

Last year cost was €60 and before anyone says rip-off - think max 12 per day, short season, crew, vessel, insurance.

There are no boatmen with fancy cars in portmagee.

The season, the boats and number of visitors per day are very strictly regulated.

15 boats each carrying 12 passengers may land once a day.

If weather is bad, the trip is cancelled and you get refunded.

No restrictions on boat trips sailing around the island without landing.

Last year cost was €60 and before anyone says rip-off - think max 12 per day, short season, crew, vessel, insurance.

There are no boatmen with fancy cars in portmagee.

Many many thanks that was exactly what I was looking for and gives an insight into it. ( Apologies - 60 a head or a boat ? if its a head I dont mind just making sure )

Many many thanks that was exactly what I was looking for and gives an insight into it. ( Apologies - 60 a head or a boat ? if its a head I dont mind just making sure )

€60 a head - that was last year. Probably same.

Personally if its a nice evening, a fishing trip around the skelligs followed or preceeded by the visitors centre would be my choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

70 pp if you wanted to get on the island when I went and boat was booked for 12 people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,980 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Personally I think the Skelligs look far more spectacular from the sea than actually being on them. I did both. Didn't like the landside effort, too scary altogether, but that was years ago.

I have no real fear of heights, I was just a bit shaky because there was no handrail. That would have sorted me out! And the steps were a bit wet and mucky too back in the day.

But whatever you decide I hope you enjoy it.

Portmagee is a wonderful spot as is Valentia Island across the causeway. We got talking to a fella who had some of the underwater cable that went across the Atlantic. And there is a Jurassic beach (with footprints) and a huge cave at the old slate mines. Fascinating place.

Then the ferry across from Knightstown and up to Cahersiveen. I really enjoyed it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,786 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I was there last week, I'm scared of heights but still managed to get to the top it was amazing, i'd defo go again ,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We've booked for this year (September) it was €75 per person for the trip over + landing with OPW tour guide on the island. Bit sick reading it was only €60 last year :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

Are there any age restrictions for children(8 y.o)and do they charge adult rate for them?

Triboro wrote: »
    Are there any age restrictions for children(8 y.o)and do they charge adult rate for them?

Its discouraged to bring children under 12 (and even that is probably young) - its not the easiest stroll!. Of course if the 8 year old is fit and used to hikes and arduous walks, then its fine, ven unfit adults have difficulty.

Also remember there are no toilets on the island (there are on the boats)

I don't remember ever seeing a "child" fare for the landing trip, but there are for the sailing trips around the island.

http://www.worldheritageireland.ie/skellig-michael/faq/

http://skelligislands.com/booking-and-reservations-for-skellig-michael-boat-trips/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Its discouraged to bring children under 12 (and even that is probably young) - its not the easiest stroll!. Of course if the 8 year old is fit and used to hikes and arduous walks, then its fine, ven unfit adults have difficulty.

Also remember there are no toilets on the island (there are on the boats)

I don't remember ever seeing a "child" fare for the landing trip, but there are for the sailing trips around the island.

http://www.worldheritageireland.ie/skellig-michael/faq/

http://skelligislands.com/booking-and-reservations-for-skellig-michael-boat-trips/

That's great,thanks for all the info and links.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Could someone post some of the BEST videos of the steep walk up and down those steps please.

Advertisement