Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whooping cough vaccine in pregnancy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

I had my whooping cough last week at my GTT and it was free, they reccomend it from 28 weeks onwards I think. I'm not bothering with the flu vac as I've never had it, as it only vaccinates you against a few strains when there are tons out there, so no point imo and my GP isn't pushing it either, but is advising strongly for WC as there have been a lot of cases recently, I remeber getting it as a 3yr old and it was really bad so can't imagine a baby getting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Wc was €20 at our local Gp.
    So far our little one has had her 2 month vaccination which was free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The vaccine itself should be free but they can charge you for the administration of it:
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/adult/pertussis/pertussisfact.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have had flu twice in the last five years. Once really bad. Im probably fairly immune now as a result but I really wouldnt want to get it during pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Merkin wrote: »
    Quick question ladies. For my first pregnancy I lived in the UK so I'm not sure of process here. On this pregnancy I'm attending Holles Street as a private patient. Do I pay my GP for the whooping cough vaccine or is it given as standard and is it free like immunisations? And what about flu vaccine in pregnancy? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for all the replies. I don't think I was very clear in my OP. There's no question, I'll definitely be getting the whooping cough jab and the flu jab but was just wondering where I get them/how much they cost. Seems like it's from the GP and then price is variable, thanks for help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭unichick

Hi girls, had the flu jab last Thurs in my GPs and talked about the whooping cough one. The nurse said I may not have to get it again as DD will be 3 in Dec & I had enough immunisation from that one but on the leaflet I read afterwards it said to get it on every pregnancy. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

My youngest is 9 months and oldest is just turned 2, so sixteen months between them and I was advised to get the wc vaccine on second pregnancy also as gp advised it does not carry between pregnancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Getting mine this afternoon, is the arm pain bad? Would I be best to get it in my non dominant arm?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

I found my arm felt heavy afterwards around the site of the vaccine more so than sore if that makes sense, would not say it was painful at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Maybe get a second opinion as my GP advised that you need to get a new vaccine with every pregnancy for the baby to be immunised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

I found the pain after WC really bad for about 3 days afterwards. No hassle with the flu one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Gatica wrote: »
    Maybe get a second opinion as my GP advised that you need to get a new vaccine with every pregnancy for the baby to be immunised.

This is correct, immunity is passed to the baby through the vaccine so it is protected from birth. So you need to be given the vaccine in each pregnancy to pass immunity to each baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

PS: Here's the HSE guideline on Whopping cough.
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/pregvaccs/

unichick, unfortunately, it doesn't sound like your nurse at GP was well informed.

I got mine yesterday, the nurse was very nice, but had zero information on the vaccine, I asked for a pamphlet after , she said they never got them. They also were not sure on the charge as not many people had taken it up... they charged me €15 which they said was standard for administrating...

Arm is a little sore this morning, but other than that no symptoms at all. They tried to talk me into the flu vaccine, which I declined.

stickybean wrote: »
    They tried to talk me into the flu vaccine, which I declined.

Can I ask why you declined it? Just interested. I've had flu twice in last four years, so am probably quite immune, but at the same time there is absolutely no way I would want to catch it during pregnancy or afterwards. Its absolutely debilitating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I personally know of two women who went into premature labour because they contracted the flu in their third trimester. One of the babies was very small and had to spend her first 48 hours in NICU and her mother couldn't visit her as she could have passed on the infection. I got it and will again in any future pregnancies

fits wrote: »
    Can I ask why you declined it? Just interested. I've had flu twice in last four years, so am probably quite immune, but at the same time there is absolutely no way I would want to catch it during pregnancy or afterwards. Its absolutely debilitating.

For me, I have never got it before. My dad (who is never ever sick) got it the last two years and was out sick for two weeks each time following it. It was more a personal thing for me... Also the nurse told me it only protects against the 3 most common strains and not all...

stickybean wrote: »
    For me, I have never got it before. My dad (who is never ever sick) got it the last two years and was out sick for two weeks each time following it. It was more a personal thing for me... Also the nurse told me it only protects against the 3 most common strains and not all...

It's obviously your choice, just so you know not only is it more dangerous to catch the flu when you're pregnant for many reasons but you are more at risk of catching it. Pregnant women's immune systems are decreased naturally in pregnancy so you are much more at risk of catching something like the flu

For me I feel that I am due coming into peak flu season. And it is quite likely the virus will be present in the hospital at that time of year also. For the pster who mentioned the premature deliveries, it must be horrendous while in the throes of flu. I was so so weak when I had it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Pamphlet is available on the HSE website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

I got the whooping cough vaccine at 28 +4. Its administered after 28 weeks. Doc said she would talk to me next time about the flu vaccine (at 30 weeks) wondering whether to get it or not. Reading the above posts however I think I will get it. I remember last winter here in the office so many people out sick with flu and don't want to be paranoid thinking I'll pick it up from them.

I got both jabs today. All grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My gp told me that he doesn't do the whooping cough jab on it's own as he only stocks it as part of the 6-in-1 :rolleyes: He isn't too keen on vaccines during pregnancy anyway. Is there anywhere else I can get it?

Afaik it's only available in the 6 in 1

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

its not you can get it on its own. i got it last pregnancy and ill be getting again this time when the timing is right. I got the flu jab yesterday, personally know of a colleague who ended up in intensive care with the flu.

Just double checked as I knew the one they use was a combination one - it's actually a 3 in 1, whooping cough, diphtheria and tetanus.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/adult/pertussis/pertussisfact.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Is there anywhere besides the gp I can get it? Boots hardly do it do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I had the same problem mrspostman and no one else would do it. The rotunda don't offer it, other gps won't unless you're they're patient and it's not available in pharmacies.

It's the tdap vaccine is recommended for pregnancy. It's more than just whooping cough but can't remember the others.

I complained to the hse and my GP caved amid many dire warnings, muttering and signings of disclaimers.

Not sure if the caving was related to the hse complaint, but I'd say it did no harm.
    I think the midwives would have sorted me somehow if my GP hadn't caved.
    Other option ask your GP to refer you to another GP who will do the vaccine.

Advice would be switch GP or keep at your GP combined with a complaint to the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I got mine today. Left arm whooping cough ought arm flu so I'll be able to tell you all for sure which is worse! The wc I got has tetanus and something else in it- tetanus is notorious for giving you a dead arm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Can confirm - flu jab doesn't hurt, whooping cough does!

Advertisement