Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat Balance Problems

• 05-05-2016 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,

I adopted a wonderful 7 year old male cat from <snip> last week. A few days after moving in, he developed a problem with his balance. He was very shaky when standing up and was unable to walk for more than a few seconds.

The vets put him on a drip and that seemed to improve him that day. He was then on an anti-biotic for a few days. I brought him back yesterday for a check-up and he had definitely improved, however his balance was still off.

I arrived home this afternoon and he had once again deteriorated. It's as if he was drunk-like, as he keeps stumbling and is a bit spaced. He is an incredibly affectionate cat, but isn't looking for affection like he normally does.

I had checked the house initially for all things that were toxic for cats and made sure to remove anything that might be causing him trouble. Unfortunately, someone had inadvertently plugged in an air freshner all day, so the house stinks of the stuff. Could this be the issue that is making him feel funny? It hasn't been on in a while so could it have originally stayed in his system. It is now in the bin and I'm bringing back to the vet again this afternoon.

The vets have been fairly stumped with what might be causing his balance problems. They have suggested poisoning, meningitis, a slipped disc, parasites...

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this with their cat? Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm becoming increasingly worried about him.

Thanks,

JM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

There is something cats can get, ill have to google to get the name of it. I know one of the rescue gangs had a cat called tumbles who used to fall down a lot...

Sorry it was Wobbles he has cerebellar hypoplasia maybe that is worth looking up..

That would be like worst case scenario now I must say. Other than that I cannot think what would put him out so much to cause this... Have you checked around the areas where he spends most of his time to make sure there is nothing around like even that wood lice powder or something like this.

The only experience like that I saw in a cat was after it ate so slug pellets and some asprin....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Have his eyes checked out; we got a foster cat who's blind / half sighted and she could fit in on your description at times esp. if she goes into a new space or we re-arrange furniture etc. If your furry companion has lost some eye sight and is moved to a new environment this could be a potential cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭beanie.

Could be vestibular, have them check his ears/ear drums.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 JimSmash

Thanks very much for the responses, it is much appreciated!

His eyes and ears have both been checked and they seem to be normal. His bloods were also done and it showed he perhaps was fighting some kind of infection, but it was so slight, the vets couldn't be sure.

We checked the house for any pellets/poison and he also hasn't had access to aspirin. The obvious one is cleaning products so I bought cat friendly sprays etc.

I will look into 'wobbles'....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭beanie.

Are his eyes flicking? Can he focus?

I've PMed you a video of a cat that might be similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I think wobbles might be the name of the cat and not a nickname for the disease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Has the cat had a complete blood test with blood gas analysis and electrolytes balance? Ask the vet to check the serum sodium and potassium level. A low level of these two parametres is responsible for muscle weakness and cramps, tremor, myalgia. Check if he feels pain when you massage his hind legs, his thigs.
    Also ask the vet for a test for toxoplasmosis. He might have had it and still carries the consequenses.
    Is he eating regularly and enough? What does he eat?
    Is he drinking? How much water is he drinking per day?
    Do you think that your cat has the right weight or you see him a bit underweight?

Strange one, yes sorry Wobbles is the name of the cat not what he has...

I hope you find what is causing this doesn't sound great for the cat or you trying to figure it out..

Strange one, yes sorry Wobbles is the name of the cat not what he has...

I hope you find what is causing this doesn't sound great for the cat or you trying to figure it out..

• Advertisement
Advertisement