Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Programme for Government

Comments

spend. spend. spend. spend.

spend a bit more.

Then spend some more money.

Then if there's anything left (there won't be) spend that too.

None of it on anything tangible of course, no infrastructure upgrades, no great investment plans, just inflating the state again through the public purse.

woe betide me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

FF & FG are looking at the big picture and see the emergence of the independants as a future threat and now want them as the meat in the sandwich.
    Any independant that goes into bed with a FF/FG government is writing their own political orbituary.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

spend. spend. spend. spend.

spend a bit more.

Then spend some more money.

Then if there's anything left (there won't be) spend that too.

Don't forget making one of the most progressive income tax regimes on the planet even more progressive. Because if there's one thing we learned over the last decade, it's that broad tax bases are for pussies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Godge wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0505/786383-programme-for-govt-document/

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2016/exclusive-some-rural-garda-stations-to-be-reopened-as-part-of-new-minority-government-deal-34687928.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-talks-vote-on-taoiseach-to-take-place-friday-1.2635983

It seems that details of the new programme are slowly being leaked.

A heavy emphasis it seems on the regions outside Dublin.

"a €500 million regional jobs fund", "Increase the roads budget by 50 per cent", money which would be much better spent on DART underground.

They are also people living in the rest of Ireland who pay income tax,property tax,road tax,don't begrudge us a decent road at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Godge wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0505/786383-programme-for-govt-document/

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2016/exclusive-some-rural-garda-stations-to-be-reopened-as-part-of-new-minority-government-deal-34687928.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-talks-vote-on-taoiseach-to-take-place-friday-1.2635983

It seems that details of the new programme are slowly being leaked.

A heavy emphasis it seems on the regions outside Dublin.

"a €500 million regional jobs fund", "Increase the roads budget by 50 per cent", money which would be much better spent on DART underground.

I for one am glad that the new Dail does not share your Dublin-centric view of Ireland, and I say that as a Dublin native myself. Sure, I'd absolutely love an upgraded DART service, but given that it's adequate at the moment, although not ideal, I would regard it as wrong to allocate more resources to it while there are truly inadequate public transport facilities in other parts of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I for one am glad that the new Dail does not share your Dublin-centric view of Ireland, and I say that as a Dublin native myself. Sure, I'd absolutely love an upgraded DART service, but given that it's adequate at the moment, although not ideal, I would regard it as wrong to allocate more resources to it while there are truly inadequate public transport facilities in other parts of the country.

I wouldn't mind if they would invest in improving public transport outside Dublin..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I don't think there are many who would agree that public transport in the economic hub of the country is "adequate" or anything approaching same.

By delivering more investment and service in Dublin and thus bringing in more private investment by way of corporate headquarters and inward investment, this increases the tax intake and allows for more regional spending. DARTU and Metro North will also give plenty of jobs to rural construction workers, bolstering the economy outside of Dublin as well as inside.

A proper public transport in the nation's capital is a no-brainer to anyone with the remotest understanding of economics I would have imagined?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What is the makeup of Dublin independent/small party TDs ?

How many are of the left that have decided to abstain form any attempt to form a government ?

In a cycle where we see a lot of small party and non party TDs elected those that are willing to participate can have a voice in what gets done.

Is this an ideal situation, probably not, but its the situation we find ourselves in.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Finian McGrath, Shane Ross and Katherine Zappone have all been involved in government formation negotiations, so Dublin is fairly well represented in the Independent ranks.

Finian McGrath, Shane Ross and Katherine Zappone have all been involved in government formation negotiations, so Dublin is fairly well represented in the Independent ranks.

You'd hardly call them Dublin-Centric or even hint at them being a 'Dublin Alliance' though!

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

By delivering more investment and service in Dublin and thus bringing in more private investment by way of corporate headquarters and inward investment, this increases the tax intake and allows for more regional spending.
    Yes, because there will come a point when Dublin-dwellers will decide that the city has all the infrastructure it needs and that the regions should get more money.

I get it: there will always be competition for scarce resources between Dublin and the regions. But let's not pretend that if we just give Dublin a little more now, we will suddenly reach a tipping point where regional investment will make sense.

Dublin's infrastructure needs investment. So does the rest of the country's. It's not long since we saw someone suggesting that the best way to move freight from Limerick to Rosslare was via the M50, ffs.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Dublin's infrastructure needs investment. So does the rest of the country. ..

Nobody seems to understand this quite simple point.

We're not even talking about having 'rural only' infrastructure proposed, costed and built 'instead' of Dublin, nor are we talking about 'Dublin only infrastructure' being proposed and nothing elsewhere.

Instead we're once again back to the game of increasing the running costs of the state and inflating ourselves up again, instead of making the decision to invest in that state and improve its ability to cater for itself!

We have become a leaner state in recent years, and instead of capitalising on that leanness, through infrastructure upgrades (which themselves have the added benefit of job creation!!) and the multiple economic benefits of these projects, we are going to not bother, and instead just get fat again.

Choice between spending €500m on increased wages (which we then pay every single year from now on) or once off spends of €500m which reduces future spending and/or increases future earnings. We've gone for the former...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I don't think there are many who would agree that public transport in the economic hub of the country is "adequate" or anything approaching same.

By delivering more investment and service in Dublin and thus bringing in more private investment by way of corporate headquarters and inward investment, this increases the tax intake and allows for more regional spending. DARTU and Metro North will also give plenty of jobs to rural construction workers, bolstering the economy outside of Dublin as well as inside.

A proper public transport in the nation's capital is a no-brainer to anyone with the remotest understanding of economics I would have imagined?

I agree that it needs upgrades. What I'm saying is that right now it's ok - not great, but not appalling either, especially when compared with other parts of the country.

Godge and several others are always arguing that rents, property prices are too high in Dublin because people insist on living there when they could choose to live elsewhere, particularly with regard to a shortage of social housing. To claim in one post that people should have no problem leaving Dublin, while in another claiming that investing in any other part of the country is some kind of waste, is a fundamental paradox - unless those posters are openly suggesting that people should be ok with a drop in their quality of life.

Dublin is the capital city of Ireland but it's not the only city - why shouldn't other parts of the country enjoy a similar standard of public transport?

Again, I'm saying all of this as a Dublin native myself. To suggest that investing outside Dublin is wasted money is just ridiculous. Our fellow Irish people live in those parts of the country, FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

FF & FG are looking at the big picture and see the emergence of the independants as a future threat and now want them as the meat in the sandwich.
    Any independant that goes into bed with a FF/FG government is writing their own political orbituary.

If they can deliver for their constituency it might strengthen them, all politics being local and all that. Some people get very angry over their Independents going into power to try and implement some of their policies, bizarre!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement