Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling to Dublin Airport - Bike Racks?

Options
  • 05-05-2016 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭

Hi, planning to cycle to Dublin airport tomorrow afternoon with just a backpack for a weekend trip. Anyone have any tips on where to leave my bike locked?

Searched online but any material I found is >3 years old!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There are bike racks in one of the corners of the ground floor of short term car park A - on the terminal end of the car park - just left of the central car park mall as you walk towards the terminal.

(Just to note - any bikes there are usually lower end stuff. I wouldn't be leaving a good bike there).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

There are bike racks in one of the corners of the ground floor of short term car park A - on the terminal end of the car park - just left of the central car park mall as you walk towards the terminal.

(Just to note - any bikes there are usually lower end stuff. I wouldn't be leaving a good bike there).

Great, thanks. I'll keep an eye out for short term A. Is that the one just between terminal 1 and 2? I think the long term car park coaches pull up alongside it?

My bike isn't the best, should be ok (being Dublin you never know though).

jive wrote: »
    Great, thanks. I'll keep an eye out for short term A. Is that the one just between terminal 1 and 2? I think the long term car park coaches pull up alongside it?...
    Yes, you can enter the central mall along where the long term buses pull up. Go to the end of the mall (staying on the ground floor) heading towards the exit for the terminal. Just before the exit of the mall take the pedestrian entrance to the car park on the left. The bike racks are to the left of this entrance. There are usually motorcycles parked in the vicinity.

Alternatively just enter the car park where the cars enter (you'll have to walk around the barrier) and proceed to the far left corner area.

Yes, you can enter the central mall along where the long term buses pull up. Go to the end of the mall (staying on the ground floor) heading towards the exit for the terminal. Just before the exit of the mall take the pedestrian entrance to the car park on the left. The bike racks are to the left of this entrance. There are usually motorcycles parked in the vicinity.

Alternatively just enter the car park where the cars enter (you'll have to walk around the barrier) and proceed to the far left corner area.

Cheers, appreciate the detailed description, if I can't find that I have no business hopping on a flight!!

Cheers, appreciate the detailed description.....
    I hope it hasn't changed - it's been a while since I last used it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭thewiseowl12

Hi,

Sorry to hijack a thread - have a decent bike that I got through the bike to work scheme - reckon it would be safe there for 2-3 days midweek with a couple of locks on it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Hi,

Sorry to hijack a thread - have a decent bike that I got through the bike to work scheme - reckon it would be safe there for 2-3 days midweek with a couple of locks on it?

Thanks

How decent are your locks? someone could clock it and come back with equipment.

Hi,

Thanks

I think it would be to be honest. If the bike is worth a few grand then definitely not worth the risk though. I left mine in a secure car park (somebody could walk in though) presumably it has some cameras in too, there were a few other bicycles there and some scooters.

It is lovely cycling up to the airport with just a bag on the back and hopping on a plane though, takes about half an hour or so from the city centre and you're right at the terminal entrance. No traffic worries or anything, tis the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭thewiseowl12

Completely agree - I've done it a few times myself, but with my old bike that probably wasn't going to get robbed! I have decent locks, kryponite and abus but as you've pointed out if it's clocked it's gone. I just thought it might be reasonably okay in suspecting that thieves are not bothered to go to the airport to rob bikes. I've never heard of someone losing a bike at the airport anyways?

I'll just have to use an old rust bucket so (just didn't want to for a 20km cycle under time pressure!)

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

What route would you use to cycle to the airport from the GPO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

m50 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Chuchote wrote: »

http://goo.gl/ui4akq
    data%3D!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x48670e8441acbc79:0x377a23c877cf03a6!2m2!1d-6.260721!2d53.349349!1m5!1m1!1s0x486711b5ba39e585:0xb40d3cb55db3b5f7!2m2!1d-6.2349301!2d53.4245714!3e1?hl%3Den&a=AIYkKU-HFYFCAY5OWbLutXWvNca0jyHiJg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

fryup wrote: »
    m50 ?

You are joking?

Chuchote wrote: »
    Parnell Sq West, Dorset Street, Drumcondra, Whitehall, Santry, Collinstown etc. Pretty straightforward route.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

m50 ?

Yeah and make sure you cycle right in the middle of the centre lane and pay your toll!:rolleyes:

Yeah and make sure you cycle right in the middle of the centre lane and pay your toll!:rolleyes:

Ha you'd know your a cyclist, you don't know the rules of the road. Keep in the furthest left lane unless overtaking on the M50 guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ha you'd know your a cyclist, you don't know the rules of the road. Keep in the furthest left lane unless overtaking on the M50 guys.

Actually it's worst, I am a runner:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Didn't you hear that they are turning the centre lane into a dedicated cycle lane on the M50;):D

Didn't you hear that they are turning the centre lane into a dedicated cycle lane on the M50;):D

Class, a dedicated lane! Usually they just pour out red paint into the side of a lane, they must have read the thread on Irish roads not being safe for cyclists and have taken action.

just out of interest has anyone been caught cycling on the m50??

• Advertisement

just out of interest has anyone been caught cycling on the m50??
    Depends what you mean by 'caught' - prosecuted or simply spotted cycling on it?

^^^^^^^^^^^

either

Advertisement