Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish naval recruitment 2016

Options
  • 05-05-2016 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi I'm just looking for a bit of info on Irish navy, sent my application in and I'm turning 27 next month so this is my last chance to join fingers crossed! Is there anyway to prepare for the tests or is it mostly common sence kind of thing? I know bout the fitness tests I'm training for that at the minute. When the seaman are based onboard a ship how often would they get home for weekends? I know they mite be at sea up to 4 weeks at a time but will they get couple days off then r what's the story there??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Celticlily

Tests are mostly commun sense. The psychometric tests are very easy (maths will be 3 + ? = 10) and the English part of it is very basic (a foreign student learning English will be able to pass it no problem). Fitness test is grand. For the run be careful to not start to fast. Everyone does. I started at my normal pace and everyone was way ahead of me for the first lap and then some of them were walking as they had lost all their energy...finished 3rd in 9 minutes (I am a female).

The interview is quite easy as well. Just be confident. If they ask you ''Why the naval service'' just mention the lifestyle as this is a big thing for them (you're away half the year don't forget that).

I wish ye good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Tommf

Celticlily wrote: »
    Tests are mostly commun sense. The psychometric tests are very easy (maths will be 3 + ? = 10) and the English part of it is very basic (a foreign student learning English will be able to pass it no problem). Fitness test is grand. For the run be careful to not start to fast. Everyone does. I started at my normal pace and everyone was way ahead of me for the first lap and then some of them were walking as they had lost all their energy...finished 3rd in 9 minutes (I am a female).

The interview is quite easy as well. Just be confident. If they ask you ''Why the naval service'' just mention the lifestyle as this is a big thing for them (you're away half the year don't forget that).

I wish ye good luck !

Thanks for reply much appreciated.
    When you say (your away half the year),
    Does that mean I won't get home that often within the year??

Well if I got it well, you're gone at sea for two weeks then back in a week end and two weeks away again. Then you're two week off sea but this doesn't mean you have the two weeks off.

You're on a ship for two years then off the ship two years and then back on it.

If you want a job where you can see your family in that case the army would be better for you.

Have a look at the FAQ : http://www.military.ie/naval-service/faq/

How much time will I spend at sea when I complete my Training?

When you complete your training and are posted to one of the Naval Service’s ships, you can expect to spend approximately 180 days at sea in any one year. A routine patrol is no longer than 4 weeks ( Two 14 day cycles) , after which the ship returns to the Naval Base. Ships, generally, remain alongside at Naval Base for 2 weeks before commencing the next patrol. Foreign deployments can range anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months. The Naval Service Personnel structure is designed around the aspiration for all personnel to serve 2 years in an appointment at sea followed by 2 years in a shore based appointment. Shore based appointments are designed to support the ships at sea in Training, Administrative or Maintenance roles.

Yes I understand but I'm over age now for army so navy is my only option, I think the navy sounds quite interesting so I'm gonna give it a go to see, thanks for the info!

Good luck !!

• Advertisement

Celticlily wrote: »
    Good luck !!

Sorry one more question if you don't mind, what's the story if you join the navy you can't just quit when ever you want can you??

They'll give you some time where you can quit when you want. But after that you'll either need to finish your contract or buy yourself out

Can anyone interested in joining the armed boarding units, join them easily or do they choose who joins them?

You need to pass some tests showing you're fit enough for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

Tommf wrote: »
    Can anyone interested in joining the armed boarding units, join them easily or do they choose who joins them?

All new entrants now complete their maritime interdiction team members training while in basic training.

This training coupled with the basic marksmanship training with the H&K USP 9mm serves as the foundation upon which skills are developed onboard the vessels.

When you complete your basic training and are posted to a sea going unit you will be selected as part of the maritime interdiction team by the gunnery officer.

for the most part everyone who is interested will get the chance to participate unless they are a bit tapped, in which case they will be politely giving other duties.

there is NO specified fitness test for the teams, you are required to stay within a normal fitness grade all the time while in service.

there is a very good fitness culture within the INS at the moment so you will have plenty of encouragement to stay active, fit and healthy.

• Advertisement

All new entrants now complete their maritime interdiction team members training while in basic training.

This training coupled with the basic marksmanship training with the H&K USP 9mm serves as the foundation upon which skills are developed onboard the vessels.

When you complete your basic training and are posted to a sea going unit you will be selected as part of the maritime interdiction team by the gunnery officer.

for the most part everyone who is interested will get the chance to participate unless they are a bit tapped, in which case they will be politely giving other duties.

there is NO specified fitness test for the teams, you are required to stay within a normal fitness grade all the time while in service.

there is a very good fitness culture within the INS at the moment so you will have plenty of encouragement to stay active, fit and healthy.

Thanks for reply, what do you mean by tapped lol?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

Thanks for reply, what do you mean by tapped lol?

"Tapped" as in not quiet right in the head.

As in those people you wouldn't be inclined to trust standing behind you with a loaded hand gun yet are more than capable in most other ways.

Everyone has a place in the Naval Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eanan89

Does anybody have their fitness test tomorrow?

Passed fitness last week, got email for interview dosnt mention medical though says this stage of competition will last 2-4hrs but says interview will last 25mins??

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Svejk90

Has anyone heard anything new?

Svejk90 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything new?

No and I don't think we will hear anything until 2017 anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mrmanor

No and I don't think we will hear anything until 2017 anyways.

Well word here on base is, is that there is a recruit class starting on the 14th of November. As I said that's only word going about the base.

mrmanor wrote: »
    Well word here on base is, is that there is a recruit class starting on the 14th of November. As I said that's only word going about the base.

That's the naval Base? I was told that the next recruit class will be 2017 and they didn't know a date until the government approves it, I've been put on the 2017 panel but mayb there will be another one before that I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mrmanor

That's the naval Base? I was told that the next recruit class will be 2017 and they didn't know a date until the government approves it, I've been put on the 2017 panel but mayb there will be another one before that I don't know.

Yeah, the naval base. I'm in the navy. There is talk of two classes coming in with the first in November so you could be in the second class. But then again they usually give shirt notice so you could get an email soon. I presume you've done your medial? The recruit accommodation block is empty now and is ready for the next batch.

mrmanor wrote: »
    Yeah, the naval base. I'm in the navy. There is talk of two classes coming in with the first in November so you could be in the second class. But then again they usually give shirt notice so you could get an email soon. I presume you've done your medial? The recruit accommodation block is empty now and is ready for the next batch.

Ah right I see, are u long in? No I don't have medical done yet

You are hereby informed that you have successfully passed all stages of the competition to date. Your name has been placed on a panel, which will meet vacancies as they arise in 2017. Recruitment is subject to Government approval and we cannot speculate as to when there will be a Recruit Class in 2017.

You may be contacted at a later date, should further recruitment to the Naval Service be sanctioned, to carry out the final two stages of the competition, namely medical and security clearance.

No further action is required of you until you are contacted by the Naval Service Recruitment Office

• Advertisement

That's what the last email said.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Larryr001

How long after medical can I expect to wait for word on start date? How much notice do they usually give to commence service ?

Larryr001 wrote: »
    How long after medical can I expect to wait for word on start date? How much notice do they usually give to commence service ?

I wouldn know, but word is you'll get word soon enough after medical, have ya done the medical yet?

I wouldn know, but word is you'll get word soon enough after medical, have ya done the medical yet?

Yes had a medical mid October but haven't hear a thing

Larryr001 wrote: »

Wer you told 2017 class? If there is a class starting this month could b good chance you'll be on dat

Yes had medical mid October but haven't heard anything to date . I will need to give notice to my current employer .

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Svejk90

Did you apply for the army or just the navy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Theres a class starting near the end of the month.

• Advertisement

Svejk90 wrote: »
    Did you apply for the army or just the navy?

Just the navy not the army

Advertisement