Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish naval recruitment 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Larryr001

mikeym wrote: »
    Theres a class starting near the end of the month.

Thank you for your reply that's good to know fingers crossed I'll be in that class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Larryr001 wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply that's good to know fingers crossed I'll be in that class

Looks like its pushed back again.

Before Christmas.

mikeym wrote: »
    Looks like its pushed back again.

Before Christmas.

Thanks mickym I appreciate your insight . The waiting is a killer if they would only give an update

Has anyone got an update on next class start date?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Svejk90

Larryr001 wrote: »
    Has anyone got an update on next class start date?
    Nothing yet...

• Advertisement

Hopefully in january!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Ciaran.m

Svejk90 wrote: »
    Hopefully in january!

Its starting mid december

Usually its the Garda Vetting part that hold up everything.

Taken from Defend Defence Forces Pay & Conditions Facebook Page.

A lot of people in the service are sharing this.
    Hi lads i would you to post this but not use my name I am an Ordinary Seaman in the navy i have just finished my first couple of patrols at sea and i am now getting my paper work ready to leave.
    I knew joining the wages were bad enough but was told once i get to sea that would change i take home €290 after deductions but i pay €150 to my girlfriend to support our little girl and keep things going i live up the country so fuel costs insurance is paid monthly and costs €80 per week which leaves me with €60 to survive on and pay for my fone car tax etc and i might treat myself to a mcdonalds once a week when im down on the base as good as the food can be u need a break too.
    Any way lads when i went to sea i thought things would change how wrong i was i now work twice the hours if not more i get an extra €21 per day from what i have seen so far from the few patrols i have done .
    My day at sea can be on average 14-16 hrs long when not on duty and 26hrs when i am on duty which is every 3 days or sometimes less over a patrol which is 24 days long .we dont get much time off or down time at sea sometimes the ship will go 8 or 9 straight days without stopping that means i could do over 130 hrs work wihout a proper break .
    When i seen an able seaman on the ships payslip who joined in 2011 he was making 5 euro less than me on a flat week than i do with my seagoing allowance of €21 per day included .
    So i know lots of lads my class are leaving and lots more are planning to go in the new year so i just wanted to share my experience to date and hope people can see the **** pay is not worth the **** hours and been away from family at sea i want to live again so i am leaving .Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Tommf

Really starting to look like it's not worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Robert m

Got offer of enlistment email there told to report to the base the 19th Dec for An attestation meeting with a officer whatever that's about .. Anyone else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 D.Crotty

Robert m wrote: »
    Got offer of enlistment email there told to report to the base the 19th Dec for An attestation meeting with a officer whatever that's about .. Anyone else ?

Ya I got the same email, any idea what an attestation meeting is about?

First I heard of it , hopefully they send the next email fairly sharpish they havnt Said a time to arrive or how long it takes etc either

First I heard of it , hopefully they send the next email fairly sharpish they havnt Said a time to arrive or how long it takes etc either

Ya hopefully once we confirm our acceptance on the offer they send us out the booklet with times and dates

We are emailing you to update you on the current recruitment process.

We would be anticipating calling you for the Medical Stage Mid February 2017

As the competition are still ongoing we cannot at this time speculate whether or not you will receive a job offer in 2017. If you do not receive a job offer you may be placed on a panel for recruitment in 2018, pending successful completion of all phases of the competition. Please note that recruitment is subject to Government sanctioning and there is currently no confirmation on when there will be an intake in 2017.

Candidates will be informed immediately by email if they have been found unsuccessful in this competition.

We appreciated your continued patience

I got this today. Anybody else got the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mrmanor

D.Crotty wrote: »
    Ya I got the same email, any idea what an attestation meeting is about?

The attestation interview is simple. You'll arrive on base, where you'll be met by naval personnel. Usually the attestation day is day 1 of training. Since your a Christmas class you'll be attested then get Christmas leave. On the day you'll go to a room where you'll have to read and sign a load of paperwork... Pay, address, personal details, etc.. Then once completed you'll stand in front of an officer and swear your oath and your then part of the Naval service. You'll get your leave and come back to start recruit training.

mrmanor wrote: »
    The attestation interview is simple. You'll arrive on base, where you'll be met by naval personnel. Usually the attestation day is day 1 of training. Since your a Christmas class you'll be attested then get Christmas leave. On the day you'll go to a room where you'll have to read and sign a load of paperwork... Pay, address, personal details, etc.. Then once completed you'll stand in front of an officer and swear your oath and your then part of the Naval service. You'll get your leave and come back to start recruit training.
    Thanks a million for clearing that up much appreciated

Thanks a million for clearing that up much appreciated

No problem bud, if you've any questions ask away. I'm sure you've heard of some negative stories about the navy but you have to experience life here first. Recruit training is the hardest but most memorable thing you'll ever do, and the day you pass out will be your proudest day.

mrmanor wrote: »
    No problem bud, if you've any questions ask away. I'm sure you've heard of some negative stories about the navy but you have to experience life here first. Recruit training is the hardest but most memorable thing you'll ever do, and the day you pass out will be your proudest day.

Sound as a bell lad, ya I had a buddy in there for a year but couldn't shake the sea sickness he tried everything but it never worked so he left the navy but he absolutely loved every bit of it he said the start is tough but once you get the swing of things it's good crack

• Advertisement

Sound as a bell lad, ya I had a buddy in there for a year but couldn't shake the sea sickness he tried everything but it never worked so he left the navy but he absolutely loved every bit of it he said the start is tough but once you get the swing of things it's good crack

Thanks a million MRmanor for your input. It was a long wait but I got my e mail yesterday also . All set for the 19th

Anyone get the second email about the attestation day ? Just wondering times and dress etc

Anyone get the second email about the attestation day ? Just wondering times and dress etc

I think they will arrive by post this week according to older board messages

I think they will arrive by post this week according to older board messages

atestation email got

Svejk90 wrote: »
    We are emailing you to update you on the current recruitment process.

We would be anticipating calling you for the Medical Stage Mid February 2017

As the competition are still ongoing we cannot at this time speculate whether or not you will receive a job offer in 2017. If you do not receive a job offer you may be placed on a panel for recruitment in 2018, pending successful completion of all phases of the competition. Please note that recruitment is subject to Government sanctioning and there is currently no confirmation on when there will be an intake in 2017.

Candidates will be informed immediately by email if they have been found unsuccessful in this competition.

We appreciated your continued patience
    Svejk90,
    I believe this means that you are being considered at a later stage. So the first recruit class has been selected and you will be placed on a later one , just when the government sanctions it.

Got the attestation/ training email there, it says there's no parking for recruits on the base during basic training , is there anywhere to park at all or are we expected to get the bus to and fro ?

Got the attestation/ training email there, it says there's no parking for recruits on the base during basic training , is there anywhere to park at all or are we expected to get the bus to and fro ?

Hey, you'll only be allowed park on base once your recruit training is done and you start branch training. During recruits you can get dropped off by car at the front gate, there's the 223 bus from cork to the naval base, of you can get the launch from Cobh. There's limited spaces on base at the moment. Hope that clears it up.

Thanks mrmanor , while I have you and your experience here however is there anything you'd recommend comes in handy to bring down to training, obviously we've got the basic list on the attestation email but is there anything you found yourself having to run to the shops and get your first weekend pass ? Or just came in handy during training

• Advertisement

Thanks mrmanor , while I have you and your experience here however is there anything you'd recommend comes in handy to bring down to training, obviously we've got the basic list on the attestation email but is there anything you found yourself having to run to the shops and get your first weekend pass ? Or just came in handy during training

Lads if any of yea have questions ask away, i know what it was like having question but not getting answer's. What they tell you on pretty much covers it. Bring good quality cotton balls, the softer the better, beings the bull on the boots up better. Also a pair of tights, there great for bringing up the shine as well as getting rid of the dust prior to inspection.

Bring money as well. You won't be let out every weekend and you won't get your pay until the 2nd or 3rd week of Christmas, there's a shop on base and it's always handy to have money on you.

Bring plenty of white and black socks, you change them a couple of times a day when in DPMs and when in PT gear.

Lint rollers, make sure to bring them you won't pass morning inspection without them.

That's all really

Advertisement