Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs

Options
  • 05-05-2016 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi

Once goods pass customs clearance, do they follow up on them after?

i.e. if I bring in 10000 of product X will revenue then keep tabs on that and can I expect to be questioned on the purpose?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Would depend what product x was. For most things that sort of quantity is unlikely to be raising any flags but I am sure they would if there was reason too but just the fact it was 10k units alone would not be enough sure 10k items might only be €50 worth! Why you're asking the question raises more flags than the number of units though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

mufc1993 wrote: »
    Hi

i.e. if I bring in 10000 of product X will revenue then keep tabs on that and can I expect to be questioned on the purpose?

What are you trying to hide?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

What are you trying to hide?

Product X definitely sounds sinister. Hopefully it's not "apples" they definitely raise flags now!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hi

Hello mufc1993,

A couple of things to bear in mind ;

1. Customs brief is to protect the borders from illegal or unauthorised imports.
    2. As part of their screening process they will be able to establish prior to importation if 'product X' carries a risk - or not
    3. The screening process prior to importation is a highly sophisticated process and many factors are taken into consideration. You can be sure they know in advance what is coming in if a commercial means of transport is used (e.g. courier, airfreight or oceanfreight)
    4. Once the goods are declared to Customs on arrival, Customs will assess the entry / declaration. If their screening process has not thrown up anything, they are likely to be allocated a green routing. Once it is green, the goods will be released. If the screening process raises a flag, an orange or red routing is allocated. In case of an orange routing, they will look for all original documentation for inspection. If a red routing is allocated they will physically inspect the goods.
    5. Besides the screening process Customs randomly selects a percentage of Customs entries for inspection (orange or red routins)
    6. In principle, if everything is in order and the goods are released by Customs, they will take no further interest in the goods.
    7. From time to time, Customs will do what is called a Post Entry Audit. Generally speaking, if you are importing on a regular basis, they may contact you, provide you in advance with the Customs Entry numbers they want to audit and will visit you to inspect all your documentation, payment records, purchase orders, purchase invoices related to the customs entries and look if the product was correctly classified and the correct duty and VAT was paid.
    8. Bear in mind that Customs are the only legal force in Ireland that can enter ANY premises, without a search warrant.

I am sure you are aware of the case where somebody went to jail for declaring onions when apples were imported? That case started with a post entry audit that raised questions.

In closing. Don't think you can slip something in that will not attract attention. I could really amaze you with how sophisticated Customs is when it comes to knowing what is being brought in. If you have any doubt about the legality of 'product X' my recommendation is : DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Hi

Customs are part of revenue. If you are bringing in 10000 of product X for personal use then there is nothing to follow up on.

If its 10000 Ipad cases for example for resale then you need to register as a business and pay your taxes.

Do customs pass information to their colleagues in revenue as to who is importing what - you bet they do, so there will always be a paper trail for them to follow back to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Drover

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I have a question. I am using a agent to clear my goods and the goods (2 Stand Up Paddles Boards) have being selected for the red route. Just wondering why they were selected? Can anyone provide me with information.

How long with it usually take for after being selected for the red route will customs clear the goods.

Thanks

Drover wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking this thread but I have a question. I am using a agent to clear my goods and the goods (2 Stand Up Paddles Boards) have being selected for the red route. Just wondering why they were selected? Can anyone provide me with information.

How long with it usually take for after being selected for the red route will customs clear the goods.

Thanks

You can take it that a percentage of all imports are screened. There are a variety of criteria applied to select shipments for inspection. It can be commodity related, it can be related to shipper / consignee paring, it can be that the agent you are using for the clearance have done something to upset customs and all their clearances are on red routing for this week. It can be entirely random. There is no way to know to be perfectly honest.

The length of time it takes is entirely dependent on the inspecting officer and how many depots he/she has to visit and the amount of shipments to be inspected. It can take anything from 24 to 72 hours.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Thanks Rudolf289

Just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the shipping cost for a 40ft GP Container from China Shenzhen port with Delivery to Dublin or Cork Port. Would like to get a idea of the cost which includes the following.

Collection at factory in Zhongshan, China
    Port of lading Shenzhen, China
    Destination Port, Dublin or Cork
    Destination Charges including an estimate for the Cisf charge

Thanks in advance.

Drover wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the shipping cost for a 40ft GP Container from China Shenzhen port with Delivery to Dublin or Cork Port. Would like to get a idea of the cost which includes the following.

Collection at factory in Zhongshan, China
    Port of lading Shenzhen, China
    Destination Port, Dublin or Cork
    Destination Charges including an estimate for the Cisf charge

Thanks in advance.

Hello Drover,

my recommendation would be to agree FOB (Free On Board) terms with your supplier. On the basis of FOB, the supplier is responsible for delivery to the port, but more importantly also is responsible for providing the export quota and export formalities. Having to organise quota and export formalities from this end is usually a good bit more expensive than if the exporter arranges these formalities.

You could agree FOB Zhongshan, as Zhongshan has a terminal from the shipping lines can arrange collection / feeders to connext with the mainline vessels out of Shenzhen.

Also, refer to my PM from this morning.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Carib201

Sorry for hijacking the post but I'm hoping to get in contact with Rudolf289.

I am looking to import flatpacked boxes from China. 500 units.

The supplier told me FOB shipping is free with a $250 port destination fee.
    I thought this sounded too good to be true so questioned it and she informed that the following are covered:

CFS
    THC
    CISF
    Inward agency
    ERS
    ISPS
    Bond discharge fee.

Is everything covered or will I still be liable for fees at dublin port? I'm a complete novice so I've no idea what I'm dealing with here.

Carib201 wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking the post but I'm hoping to get in contact with Rudolf289.

I am looking to import flatpacked boxes from China. 500 units.

The supplier told me FOB shipping is free with a $250 port destination fee.
    I thought this sounded too good to be true so questioned it and she informed that the following are covered:

CFS
    THC
    CISF
    Inward agency
    ERS
    ISPS
    Bond discharge fee.

Is everything covered or will I still be liable for fees at dublin port? I'm a complete novice so I've no idea what I'm dealing with here.

So the free shipping is not really "free shipping" if you have to pay Us$ 250 costs on arrival for the above ?

Also, not included in the above is the costs for customs clearance or delivery to your door. And then ofcourse there is Duty / VAT to consider.

If I may suggest, PM me the details of the shipment and let me have a look at what the costs ex FCA/FOB Chinese port would be and give you something to compare.

You will find that in our quote you will only have the following elements ;

1. Ocean Freight
    2. THC/Handling
    3. Agency
    4. Bond Fee

plus than Clearance and delivery.

I would lay odds of about 50 to 1 that our quote will be inside the "Port Destination Fee" as quoted above. Making the point that you are NOT getting "Free Shipping". They just include it in the charges you pay at destination, the only one who gets Free Shipping is your supplier.

Nice try on their part, I am glad you posted before you committed

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 11 gordonalt

Hi All,
    Hope I can find answers here.
    I want to buy floor lamps from alibaba it’s from either India or China.
    I want to order 5-10 items of same lamps.
    Do you think I would have any problems in customs or they will just arrive as normal kargo!?
    Any help will be great each item it’s around 70-90$
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Any Import from outside the EU have to have a import tariff codes which you can obtain from Revenue in Nenagh. No tariff codes means that revenue/ customs will either assign one or your goods are returned.

Kind regards Oliver

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Any Import from outside the EU have to have a import tariff codes which you can obtain from Revenue in Nenagh. No tariff codes means that revenue/ customs will either assign one or your goods are returned.

Kind regards Oliver

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭corigi

Sorry for Hijack but seems most relevant place to post.

I can't work out how to calculate customs %? I want to order some different products that consist of MDF, Metal, Other wood types etc so how does one work that out with so many materials in each/one product?

I got code of 44111490 for MDF greater than 9mm from tarif numbers site but when I try that code on below link it returns error Invalid format for the goods nomenclature code.:
    http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=en

The supplier quoted €1000 delivery for 20 size container that will fit 100 products. Each product is €40, so final cost will be €5000+Insurance*Customs% correct or?

I then will have to pay VAT, we are VAT registered so will it just be same as buying or Ireland Supplier at this point, as in pay VAT and offset then on VAT return?

Anyone recommend place that could manage this process for us, as newbie that usually buys of Ireland/Northern Ireland suppliers I can see this not ending well!

At moment I just want to work out rough price per product but not easy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

corigi wrote: »
    Sorry for Hijack but seems most relevant place to post.

I can't work out how to calculate customs %? I want to order some different products that consist of MDF, Metal, Other wood types etc so how does one work that out with so many materials in each/one product?

I got code of 44111490 for MDF greater than 9mm from tarif numbers site but when I try that code on below link it returns error Invalid format for the goods nomenclature code.:
    http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=en

The supplier quoted €1000 delivery for 20 size container that will fit 100 products. Each product is €40, so final cost will be €5000+Insurance*Customs% correct or?

I then will have to pay VAT, we are VAT registered so will it just be same as buying or Ireland Supplier at this point, as in pay VAT and offset then on VAT return?

Anyone recommend place that could manage this process for us, as newbie that usually buys of Ireland/Northern Ireland suppliers I can see this not ending well!

At moment I just want to work out rough price per product but not easy :(

Hi Corigi,

Rate of duty is 7% for that tariff code, but not sure if it will apply to your product as that is for MDF rather than finished products.. duty is payable based on the so called landed value, which is the sum of the invoice value, freight and insurance..

VAT is payable to customs at the time the customs entry is filed, and can then be reclaimed from you annual VAT return

Also, re the delivery price of €1000, what freight terms is this and who quoted it? Be very careful if it is your Chinese supplier, as it likely doesn't include all of the costs for delivery to your warehouse and there could well be some very high hidden costs.. Best to get as much information as possible, and ask the right questions before the container is loaded and shipped

If you want to PM me what the product is, I can check if the tariff is correct..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi

Depends if X is Garlic or Apples

Anyone used or heard of these?

http://m.sourceinchina.eu

Looks like they can manage the whole process but really can't find much on them

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

Rudolf , on this thread is worth sending a pm , he comes highly recommended here on boards.
    And search his posts as there is plenty of info on him.

• Advertisement

Rudolf , on this thread is worth sending a pm , he comes highly recommended here on boards.
    And search his posts as there is plenty of info on him.

Cheers for that I'll reach out to him

Advertisement