Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling and TEFL

Options
  • 05-05-2016 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey!
    I will be finishing a four year degree next month in an area that has nothing to do with teaching but I'm not quite ready to begin a career in the area just yet, I want to take a year and go travelling but in most countries, my degree will be useless. I'm contemplating taking a TEFL course but does anyone know how good they are on their own without a proper teaching degree, are they worth the money and what part of the world would accept just a TEFL cert to teach?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Online TEFL certs are fairly useless I find, BUT there are places that will take them as the minimum requirement. They won't really prepare you much for actually teaching a class, but places like Vietnam, Hong Kong, China, etc. you can definitely find a job simply with a degree and a TEFL cert.

I'd definitely recommend doing the CELTA, CELT OR TESOL if you were willing to pay a bit more money and put a bit more time in, though (4 week courses).

Advertisement