Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying click

• 05-05-2016 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

I can't work out the click on my bike. I have spent hours on it. It is on every downstroke of both pedals when out of the saddle.
    I have had the lads listen to where it comes from and they say the back, which is where I reckon.
    I have changed the rear wheel, the pedals, the bottom bracket, the rear cassette, the chain and the jockey wheels. Greased te wheel drop outs.
    I have taken the headset apart and serviced, taken the bar stem clamp off and cleaned.
    Taken the front chain rings off and cleaned and tighten all the screws. Took out the seat post and also cleaned the saddle rails.
    Lubed all the places where the cables enter the frame.
    It's not the shoes as it happens when using trainers.
    Don't know what else to try, suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Have you tried switching it off and switching it on again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've had rattles/squeaks/groans from many places. Bottle cages, cables rubbing the frame, seat post and probably others. A recent thread on noises from shoes might be worth a read.

As you have tried almost everything, maybe it's time for a new bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Z_a_x

Rear skewer nice and tight? My Dt Swiss rear skewer needs to be very tight, the press fit bb was blamed for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,007 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...I have changed the rear wheel, the pedals, the bottom bracket, the rear cassette, the chain and the jockey wheels. Greased te wheel drop outs.
    I have taken the headset apart and serviced, taken the bar stem clamp off and cleaned.
    Taken the front chain rings off and cleaned and tighten all the screws. Took out the seat post and also cleaned the saddle rails...
    Left crank?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Ah, the mystery click- the cycling equivalent of 'dr., I feel tired all the time' :-p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭niley

Have you checked your knee's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

could be the bearing for the pedals. when you apply torque does it click?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So it doesn't happen when seated?

Try pedalling with just one foot (unclip the other) and see if it's side specific which would suggest BB if it is.

Does it happen in both the big and small Front ring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

OP I'd suggest trying a different rear wheel, I had some issues when the freewheel on mine needed to be cleaned and lubed, trying a known good rear wheel would let you know whether more investigations are needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I get this and know it's one of the nuts on the front chain ring. have pulled it apart, stripped and cleaned it, degreased, copper greased and rebuilt, even overtightened it to really force the parts together.

Always comes back after a short period. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭guanciale

Signal Rabbit
    What type of skewers do you have?

I had a similar issue a few years back and it drove me spare. A guy I cycled with took one look at my bike and said it was my Mavic Ksyrium skewers - they have a spring mechanism that rattles like crazy.
    I replaced them and it stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I can't work out the click on my bike. I have spent hours on it. It is on every downstroke of both pedals when out of the saddle.
    I have had the lads listen to where it comes from and they say the back, which is where I reckon.

Have you checked that the rear mech hanger is not slightly bent/out of alignment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I have had this on a couple of wheels. When pedaling hard a regular click from back wheel area. The first time it happened I didn't know what it was and it got progressively worse. Turns out bearings in hub were almost completely dry.

Each time it has been solved by greasing bearings (Ultegra hubs)

I notice you say you changed the rear wheel. Was the wheel you put on new?

If not check bearings for grease.

Long shot but worth a go..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

A new Bike, New Pedals and New shoes will sort this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭hesker

New bibshorts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Everytime I read this thread's title, "c" and "l" mysteriously blend together....

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

could be the bearing for the pedals. when you apply torque does it click?

Got new pedals ... Still the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Got new pedals ... Still the same

I'd put money on the mech hanger not being fully aligned...!

Left crank?

You little beauty!

I had greased the spline but there was some ****e in where the pinch bolts were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,007 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Left crank?
    You little beauty!

I had greased the spline but there was some ****e in where the pinch bolts were.
    Do I get a prize! :D

Good to hear it's sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

I have changed the rear wheel, the pedals, the bottom bracket, the rear cassette, the chain and the jockey wheels. Greased te wheel drop outs.
    Taken the front chain rings off and cleaned and tighten all the screws. Took out the seat post and also cleaned the saddle rails.
    Lubed all the places where the cables enter the frame.
    It's not the shoes as it happens when using trainers.
    Don't know what else to try, suggestions?
    I must be tired, as I read the title of this post as Annoying dick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You little beauty!

So that sorted it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What are the pinch bolts? Am getting a clicking noise while pedaling hard, would like to eliminate that as a possibility.

What are the pinch bolts? Am getting a clicking noise while pedaling hard, would like to eliminate that as a possibility.

See here .....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers; that would explain why i didn't cop what they are; i don't have them.

turns out that my generic bottom bracket clicking/creaking noise was actually a spoke in its final throes.
    well, the noise has pretty much stopped since the spoke broke, and i had it replaced and the wheel trued.

Advertisement