Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you think Doctors should practice what they preach?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'll follow none of the doc's advice about healthy living because he's a fatso himself.

When I die that'll really show him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

diomed wrote: »
    They passed exams. They have the knowledge. Obey.

yep, very intelligent, highly paid public servants .... yet they cant look after their own general health!

The evidence suggests that the factors leading to, for example, obesity are not all under conscious control and have a considerable genetic component.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I only care about my health not the doctor's. If he's a competent physician I don't care if he's fat or smokes fags.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I absolutely agree with op. And if I was looking for breast implants, I wouldn't even speak to a surgeon who doesn't have at least DD size breasts. They are definitely not qualified to advise you otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

meeeeh wrote: »
    I absolutely agree with op. And if I was looking for breast implants, I wouldn't even speak to a surgeon who doesn't have at least DD size breasts. They are definitely not qualified to advise you otherwise.

Are there many surgeons like that?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickarooney

You'd better get yourself a medical ID bracelet Andy. God forbid you were ever in an accident and couldn't speak for yourself, it would be essential for you to speak up and let the medical team know that you'll only accept help from a team of doctors with a BMI of 25.

I have a funny feeling that Andy isn't as trim and healthy as his posts would lead you to believe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Are there many surgeons like that?

Absolutely.

And I think people should only buy medicines from a pharmacist who tried them all. I'm mean how could you otherwise trust them it works. Studying for years has absolutely no value if you don't practice what you preach. I mean how could anyone advise treatment for cancer if they didn't go through it themselves.

That or maybe this thread only further confirms my theory that exercising makes people stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Doctors have a fierce idea about themselves. A couple of years ago I was working in a hospital specialing a person.
    This person had MRSA and was under infection control measures for anyone entering the room ( gown, gloves etc).
    3 doctors came to see this person. They just strolled in. I said to them that there was infection control measures in place and they looked at me like I had 50 heads.
    They proceeded to review them. They all used their stethoscopes , all were in contact with the patient and all walked out of the room without washing their hands or wiping their equipment with alcohol, antiseptic wipes.
    They then proceeded straight into another room to examine another patient.
    So I know for a fact it's doctors that are spreading all our super bugs in our hospitals with no regard for patients, colleagues or themselves.
    I pointed it out to the CNM on the ward but she Just shrugged her shoulders.
    So next time your in hospital always ask the doctor to wipe Their equipment and wash their hands before They examine you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭CFlat

idnkph wrote: »
    Doctors have a fierce idea about themselves. A couple of years ago I was working in a hospital specialing a person.
    This person had MRSA and was under infection control measures for anyone entering the room ( gown, gloves etc).
    3 doctors came to see this person. They just strolled in. I said to them that there was infection control measures in place and they looked at me like I had 50 heads.
    They proceeded to review them. They all used their stethoscopes , all were in contact with the patient and all walked out of the room without washing their hands or wiping their equipment with alcohol, antiseptic wipes.
    They then proceeded straight into another room to examine another patient.
    So I know for a fact it's doctors that are spreading all our super bugs in our hospitals with no regard for patients, colleagues or themselves.
    I pointed it out to the CNM on the ward but she Just shrugged her shoulders.
    So next time your in hospital always ask the doctor to wipe Their equipment and wash their hands before They examine you.

I'm sorry but I find that hard to believe.It's not just the fact that they could have spread MRSA to other locations but they could have contacted it themselves. And if that did happen it's surely a firing offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

When little fat arse Mary Harney was Minister for Health I constantly thought that she was the worst possible person to be in charge of Health when she couldn't even look after her own health.

The little fella in charge now looks fairly healthy and in shape, political affiliations aside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Similarly - if a Doctor reeks of fags (thats cigarettes not gays lol) can they honestly preach to 'patients' that smoking is ruining the patients health?
    The cigs is often due to the massive stress.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

My local dentist has awful teeth which I find very off putting.

Not quite the same but you never really trust a hairdresser with bad hair or a nail technician with a dodgy manicure.

But obviously your dentist has a crappy dentist. My mechanic's car is a banger but he could resurrect a 1980 trabant engine found in a bog.

CFlat wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I find that hard to believe.It's not just the fact that they could have spread MRSA to other locations but they could have contacted it themselves. And if that did happen it's surely a firing offence?

MRSA is carried in the nose and groin by a fairly huge amount of people. It's not a problem to carry it. The person who posted is probably carrying it themselves. It only becomes a problem when it's introduced to a wound.

Washing hands and instruments should be standard whether a patient has confirmed MRSA or not.

Nurses and health care assistants can be as bad as doctors, and patients' visitors are the biggest risk to the patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

CFlat wrote:

If you don't believe me that's ok. Don't ask the doctor to clean their equipment or wash their hands when they examine you.
    I've been in hospital myself for an operation in the last 8 months and I asked the doctors to do it for me.
    They had no problem and when they came to see me again they did it with out my asking.
    My bloods all came back clear. I practice a high level of hygiene in my job as I respect my patients and colleagues but most of all I respect my family.
    It's true that there are some health care workers who are not great at hygiene but when I work with someone I point it out to them and only ever one had to refuse to work with them because of refusal.
    This thread is about doctors practicing what they preach. I gave my view. Won't lose sleep over not being believed but I bet you will think twice about what lv said if (hopefully you don't) you find yourself in hospital.

idnkph wrote: »
    If you don't believe me that's ok. Don't ask the doctor to clean their equipment or wash their hands when they examine you.
    I've been in hospital myself for an operation in the last 8 months and I asked the doctors to do it for me.
    They had no problem and when they came to see me again they did it with out my asking.
    My bloods all came back clear. I practice a high level of hygiene in my job as I respect my patients and colleagues but most of all I respect my family.
    It's true that there are some health care workers who are not great at hygiene but when I work with someone I point it out to them and only ever one had to refuse to work with them because of refusal.
    This thread is about doctors practicing what they preach. I gave my view. Won't lose sleep over not being believed but I bet you will think twice about what lv said if (hopefully you don't) you find yourself in hospital.

Your bloods coming back clear does not mean you're not carrying MRSA, it just means it's not in your bloodstream.

Unless you had a nasal and groin swab then you don't know if you are carrying it.

A good hospital should swab you in both these areas before your operation to ensure that if you are a carrier, they can treat it before you go to theatre. It's very easily treatable if not introduced to the bloodstream.

I agree with you entirely in that all healthcare workers - clinical and non clinical - should clean their hands and equipment before entering and leaving a patient's room (note the "entering" part, they should be doing this before bringing any outside bacteria into the patient area, not once they get there). So should visitors.

Advertisement