Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does a retailer have to repair under warranty

Options
  • 05-05-2016 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Was just wondering if there was a defined time period that a retailer must repair an item under warranty?

I bought a mouse from an online seller in the UK, which came with a 12 month warranty. 8 months into said warranty, the mouse stopped working. The online seller does not produce this item, but simply resells it. They opted to have it sent for a repair.

It has now been a month since they have gotten the mouse from me, and it is still away for repair.

Is there a legally defined time period they have to return it? I've checked their terms and conditions, and have found no exacting time period so was wondering what the law said

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

sorry to be pedantic, but was this some sort of special super duper gaming mouse or something, that you wouldn't just buy a new one?

On your question, it has to be reasonable, but as to whats reasonable thats another question, it really depends again on the price of the mouse, but I would think a month is on teh border of "Where the hell is my mouse?"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Warranties are offered in addition to Consumer Rights. If this was being repaired under your consumer rights, then it should be done in a reasonable timeframe. I don't see why the same logic shouldn't apply to a warranty repair. I personally would consider a month to be too long

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭confusicus

sorry to be pedantic, but was this some sort of special super duper gaming mouse or something, that you wouldn't just buy a new one?

On your question, it has to be reasonable, but as to whats reasonable thats another question, it really depends again on the price of the mouse, but I would think a month is on teh border of "Where the hell is my mouse?"

Thanks for the reply

It was indeed a specially adapted mouse, costing 89 euro

dudara wrote: »
    Warranties are offered in addition to Consumer Rights. If this was being repaired under your consumer rights, then it should be done in a reasonable timeframe. I don't see why the same logic shouldn't apply to a warranty repair. I personally would consider a month to be too long

Thanks for the reply.

I also consider the month too long, but I'm at a loss for what to do.

I emailed the company there saying it had been a month since they have it, and is there an update, and they replied

"Thank you for your message. The mouse has been sent off to the manufacturer. We will give you an update as soon as we hear back from them."

I'm not really sure how to proceed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I wouldn't accept that response on an expensive mouse after a month. Can you phone them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

confusicus wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

I also consider the month too long, but I'm at a loss for what to do.

I emailed the company there saying it had been a month since they have it, and is there an update, and they replied

"Thank you for your message. The mouse has been sent off to the manufacturer. We will give you an update as soon as we hear back from them."

I'm not really sure how to proceed
    Yeah that's not acceptable. Don't back down, be polite and persistent but a call would be best.

I wouldn't accept that response on an expensive mouse after a month. Can you phone them?
    Yeah that's not acceptable. Don't back down, be polite and persistent but a call would be best.

Their phone number is one of those special UK numbers that I can't seem to call from here.

I have sent them a polite email stating that it seems an excessive amount of time and could they chase the repair up for me.

Will see what they come back with.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I'd be inclined to take the approach that after a month the item is not repairable and that you should have received a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

confusicus wrote: »
    Their phone number is one of those special UK numbers that I can't seem to call from here.

Have a look at saynoto0870 they might have an alternative number for it, if you can't find it search in google.co.uk for alternative number 0870xxxxxxx (what ever number) or post number here, someone might find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have never had trouble calling an 0870 or similar number from Ireland. Try a landline if a mobile won't do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement