Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 Virtual Machine - Can I use my current W7 key?

• 06-05-2016 5:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭

So I don't want to move to W10 and I'm fine on Linux with some dualbooting to W7. But thanks DX12, W7 is may not be the go-to for games just working out of the box so... I may need to VM W10 for certain DX12 games if I ever want to play them.

What I want to know is if I VM W10 can I use my W7 key to activate it and also keep my W7 full install valid, too?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you upgraded to 10 then you loose the right to use 7.

Not sure if this is any use but you could use the windows server 2012 preview for about 240 days DirectX 11.2 is included in Windows 8.1, Windows RT and Windows Server 2012 R2.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-technical-preview
    180 days of server 2016 - not sure if you can stick DX 12 or are stuck with 11 on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I haven't upgraded from 7 to 10. I wanted to know if a fresh installation of 10 standalone would accept my 7 key. If it does I assume my W7 installation would start to give me license warnings?

DX12 is W10 exclusive. No other OS has it right now hence why I need VMs or wait for huge leaps in Wine which I don't think will happen anytime soon.

Upgrade licences don't allow you to use both copies at the same time; the upgraded copy is done on the same terms as the original licence. It's even debatable whether you can legally downgrade back to the original OS.

Also, if your Windows 7 key is an OEM key then it can't legally be installed in a VM either. Only the physical hardware that it shipped with.

Advertisement