Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frame painting

• 06-05-2016 8:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

I'm looking into options to get an old frame repainted. It's an old Reynolds 501 frame with an 80's colour way and I want to get it stripped and repainted in a single colour. It's a simple build project so not looking for anything crazy expensive.
    I was thinking of Tallaght powder coating. Has anyone had a bike done by them and could recommend? I was also thinking of chroming/clear coating the forks and wondering if any one had any thoughts or advice on that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, used Tallaght Powder Coating myself about five years back to get a reynolds 531 frame done. Great job done, though I would talk through your options. I went as cheap as possible, think it was around €80 at the time. End result was a paint job that lasted about 3.5 years before rusting started coming through again. Next time I would probably get a second coat or a varnish coat to get a longer life out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭saccades

Cheap chrome on a prototype frame:

Picture118.jpg

After TPC had a play:

P3300007.jpg

7 hard years later as my "abuse" winter mtb I'm thinking about getting ti done again.

Edit to say: Chroming is a mental expensive option (loads of new, expensive to comply to regs) and that's before you add in the amount of work required as they will have to take the metal back to perfection by abrasive polishing before they can chrome. Not too bad on a 1950's bumper, but on a thin tubed bike frame...

powdercoat chromes are ok on a fast moving car wheel, 7 years ago they didn't look too good on a sample swatch thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Sounds like I'll stick with the same colour on the forks so! Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Smalltom

Effects wrote: »
    Sounds like I'll stick with the same colour on the forks so! Thanks for the help.

Check out some of the photos on 'Chris custom design' on face book. Serious work and great guy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

He's got some lovely work. I like the Trek resprayed in the 80's Raleigh style.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    He's got some lovely work. I like the Trek resprayed in the 80's Raleigh style.

Lol I was thinking that would catch your eye alright when you mentioned chrome etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Can anyone recommend someplace in Cork or Munster to get an old steel frame blasted and repainted? I'd be looking for a fairly top notch job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

And while are at it can anyone recommend somewhere in galway.... Also looking for a fairly top notch job

outfox wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend someplace in Cork or Munster to get an old steel frame blasted and repainted? I'd be looking for a fairly top notch job.

The mad clown in limerick?

Smalltom wrote: »
    The mad clown in limerick?

Just checked his website. His stuff looks good alright. There's a chance I'd get the bike back and it'd be all covered in skulls and scantily clad women LOL.

• Advertisement

Does anyone here ride an unpainted steel bike? Not stainless steel, just regular steel which was originally painted, but you've had the paint removed and a clear lacquer put on it.
    How did it turn out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Another option, from a couple of the original Klein paint maestros: http://www.kleinspainted.com/. They don't just do Kleins, but if you want a paintjob that'll turn heads, give them a call.

Advertisement