Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS setup help

Options
  • 06-05-2016 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

I've set up a free DNS at https://freedns.afraid.org/

it works fine if i connect from my phone (ie, I am on 3G). However if I try to connect to the address (mydomain.homenet.org) from internal wifi or external wifi it just times out.

I'm guessing this is due to various WIFI networks using different DNS lookup?

How do I make it work everywhere without having to type in the public IP every time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

I assume mobile and wifi connections are using different DNS servers and somehow your freedns host has not been propagated properly or your DNS cache needs flushed. Turn off/on airplane mode and this should flush the DNS cache on your phone and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

degsie wrote: »
    I assume mobile and wifi connections are using different DNS servers and somehow your freedns host has not been propagated properly or your DNS cache needs flushed. Turn off/on airplane mode and this should flush the DNS cache on your phone and try again.

Thanks.

It actually worked eventually. I think I needed various DNS caches to refresh etc.

Advertisement