Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coldplay? Will they return to Ireland??

Options
  • 06-05-2016 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

** SHORT DISCLAIMER **
    I'm a massive Coldplay fan, know all their songs, love and adore the band. If you're going to post abuse about the band to me, don't bother.

So, as you all know, Coldplay last came to Ireland in '09 and played Pheonix Park. Honestly I think something is up since they haven't come back 3 tours later. Is it money? Is it the fans, the crowd?? Someone please shed some light! If they came they would probobaly sell out croker 4 times over I'm sure?

"You and me are floating on a tidal wave, Together.." ( Coldplay X&Y )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yeah its a funny one; you'd imagine MCD/Aiken would be able to make a gig like that pay. You'd sell it out easily at similar prices to Bruce Springsteen I'd say. The band must be looking for mental money is the only thing I can think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Hopefully not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

I'm a fan but I really don't think they would sell out Croker 4 times over. Maybe 2 nights in the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

From memory didn't they get Christy Moore on stage; one of the band was a big fan. And I know U2 gave them a lot of help when they were starting out.....probably down to the business end of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭argentum

They actually played here in 2011 as part of their tour for Mylo Xyloto but the problem was that it was on the Sunday night at the Oxegen festival and that was the night that they brought Christy Moore on stage.I do wonder why they haven't played here since especially since they could play The Aviva as part of their stadium tour in the summer since its available

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

Their gig with White Lies and Elbow in the Phoenix Park in 2009 is still one of my faves

Anyone see them in the Olympia all those years ago in 2000 before Yellow came out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

argentum wrote: »
    They actually played here in 2011 as part of their tour for Mylo Xyloto but the problem was that it was on the Sunday night at the Oxegen festival and that was the night that they brought Christy Moore on stage.I do wonder why they haven't played here since especially since they could play The Aviva as part of their stadium tour in the summer since its available

Yea it's strange, they skipped the stadium tour here from last album too. You'd imagine they'd easily sell out a night at the aviva maybe even two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

They'd easily sell out a couple of stadium nights here; they've a huge following despite what the haters on here would have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

They will almost certainly be back in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Don't think their latest album did you well here?..
    No point giving a band stadium shows unless they're a guaranteed sell. Not worth the risk for promoters (case and point being RHCP in croke park sold awfully. Brought back to play belfast but with fob as support to guarantee sales)(or so they hoped)

Coldplay are big here, but nowhere near Croke Park level.. Bruce would outsell coldplay here any night of the week.. despite what some fans may believe..

Surprised no Aviva show though, stage may be too big for it..

Doing arenas in the winter, so might do a 3arena show then..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

It is a bit surprising they haven't been back since 2011, I thought they'd been here more recently, not being a fan I haven't been following closely.
    With Radiohead, who haven't played here for a while too, you could put it down to the idiosyncrasies of the band. Can't really say that about Coldplay. If it's the beginnings of a trend, bands leaving Ireland out of their future tours, than it would be a huge shame.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Saw them in Marlay Park yonks ago. Would be decent to catch them again, good back catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

callaway92 wrote: »
    They will almost certainly be back in the near future.

Arent they rumoured to be breaking up after this tour though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Arent they rumoured to be breaking up after this tour though ?

They are rumoured to be having a conscious uncoupling alright (or at least an extended break)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Texas Jack wrote: »
    Their gig with White Lies and Elbow in the Phoenix Park in 2009 is still one of my faves

Anyone see them in the Olympia all those years ago in 2000 before Yellow came out?

Had tickets 1 + 2. Bought in Music City in DunLaoghaire. It was an amazing gig. I remember the spinning globe well.

Advertisement