Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons People are turning down Social Housing Offers !

• 06-05-2016 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭

Unreal the excuses I guess this sense of Entitlement that permeates throughout the Social Welfare Classes nowadays is further proof . No En Suites Bedroom for each child No room for Trampoline No South Facing Windows etc .Get a job save for a Mortgage like any other Tax Payer then get your Nice House!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Morning Derbhoy, how are you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Possible seasickness from looking out the window is my favourite, apparently legitimate, reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

where did ye see these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

“There is a housing crisis in Limerick. If you look at Daft.ie there is nothing to rent within the bands they are allowed or the bands they can afford,” she added.

I had a look at daft, there seems to be plenty of places to rent under the price caps in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The article is very one-sided and doesn't give context to the refusals. Should be taken with more than a pinch of salt, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Internet Ham

Am I the only one who finds it hard to take a poster seriously when they capitalise every second word? It doesn't really present well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Derbhoy wrote: »
    Unreal the excuses I guess this sense of Entitlement that permeates throughout the Social Welfare Classes nowadays is further proof . No En Suites Bedroom for each child No room for Trampoline No South Facing Windows etc .Get a job save for a Mortgage like any other Tax Payer then get your Nice House!

So, which one are you offering... jobs, mortgages, or houses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Derbhoy

dashoonage wrote: »
    Morning Derbhoy, how are you ?

Good day to u

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Are these excuses given in Limerick or elsewhere.

The seasickness one was Cobh I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,081 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In any non banana republic you would be put to the back of the list and those houses offered to those next in the list who could again accept or else reject and go back of the list with you.

zulutango wrote: »
    The article is very one-sided and doesn't give context to the refusals. Should be taken with more than a pinch of salt, in my opinion.

Now I know there very may well be a valid reason for some to refuse a house but in what context could “no space for a trampoline” be a valid reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

h3000 wrote: »
    Now I know there very may well be a valid reason for some to refuse a house but in what context could “no space for a trampoline” be a valid reason?

Apparently there was a case in Cork of a couple refusing some kind of therapeutic trampoline for their autistic child. The case here could well be the same one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Apparently there was a case in Cork of a couple refusing some kind of therapeutic trampoline for their autistic child. The case here could well be the same one.
    That was my recollection of it alright.

Never underestimate the eagerness of the Irish media to regurgitate a press release or a whisper in their ear from an influential source without checking the truth or context.

The seasickness one though... I don't see how that one could have been twisted! That person needs some evaluation to see if they are fit to looking after themselves, nevermind children.

Oh fair enough. I never realised there was such a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The big problem with social properties is the fact it's seen as a house for life which is why, I guess, people will be so picky.

A council property shouldn't be for life if your circumstances change and you should be made to change your property if your needs change. Such as your kids grow up and move out. That property should be allocated to a family and you should be moved to a smaller property.

I've relatives in council properties and they'd laugh at the idea of it. They'd probably agree that in an ideal world it should be like that but they'd tell you they'll be damned if they'd move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

We have to accept that there are people who cannot or will not provide for themselves and need support. Beggars cannot be choosers though.

Society should provide a living space that is adequate and humane but no more. A means tested rent that is paid by everyone in government built social housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

No room for de pieballs dere boss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Pkiernan wrote: »
    No room for de pieballs dere boss
    Truer than you might think, didn't happen in Limerick, but it did happen in Cork
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/video/news/video-travellers-refuse-to-move-to-euro5m-facility-in-cork-336241.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement