Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harmony Test Waiting Times

Options
  • 06-05-2016 12:30pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering for those who have recently had the Harmony test done in merrion fetal how long were you waiting for results/ They told me 5-10 working days, so just wondering what people have experienced. TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

pc7 wrote: »
    Just wondering for those who have recently had the Harmony test done in merrion fetal how long were you waiting for results/ They told me 5-10 working days, so just wondering what people have experienced. TIA

I had mine done in the Beacon so although not the same I wouldn't be surprised if they use the same lab for testing. Anyway I was told the same waiting time as you but had my results in 4 days after the test was carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I was told a week minimum so I'm still waiting. Probably had it on same day as you OP!

I'm less concerned about the results ( I know it's fine) more concerned when they ask the boy or girl question what I say!!!!!!

I was told a week minimum so I'm still waiting. Probably had it on same day as you OP!

I'm less concerned about the results ( I know it's fine) more concerned when they ask the boy or girl question what I say!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

I had my Harmony test done on a Wednesday and received a call the following Wednesday with the result. I was asked if I wanted to know the gender and said I'd wait until my next visit. When I went in I asked them to write it on a piece of paper and put in in an envelope. That was nearly a month ago now and still haven't opened it. My OH would like to know but I'm not so sure. I'm debating burning the envelope altogether and leaving it as a surprise.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Thanks Cornflake got the call exactly a week later like yourself. Is this your first? We kept it a surprise on our first, have found out this time but not telling anyone.

• Advertisement

Thanks Cornflake got the call exactly a week later like yourself. Is this your first? We kept it a surprise on our first, have found out this time but not telling anyone.

Sounds like I'll be waiting until Friday so. Ugh. Dying for the call!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Can I ask how much this test costs and when is the best time to get it done i.e. how many weeks?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I paid 550 in Merrion Fetal but I think the beacon are doing it for 450 best to ring round. You can have it done from 10 weeks 2 days.

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Sounds like I'll be waiting until Friday so. Ugh. Dying for the call!

Best of luck, I burst into tears with relief and happiness, the poor lady ringing me :D

It is my first pc7. Like you my sister kept it as a surprise on her first and found out for her second. I'm leaning towards keeping it as a surprise.

The Harmony test cost me 380 in the Cork Women's Clinic. Paid it directly to MedLab Pathology in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Im dying to ring them even though I know if my results came in they'd call. :o Defo finding out if its a boy or a girl!! Whether I shared it with everyone else I'll see

Mine are in! Thrilled it's all good. Worth every penny!

Great news Beanybabog! Such a relief when they're good.

And I found out the gender! I'm walking on air. I couldn't stop smiling yesterday. It feels Really REAL or something, and like I'm actually going to make it through this pregnancy and have a baby!

Just for information if anyone else is looking at this thread, my harmony test was on a Friday morning and the results issued the following Wednesday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

The waiting times seem to differ a little, even for the same clinic. Our friends had theirs done at same place as us and had them back in 2-3 days (on the phone, they called for the results on a Friday evening). However, ours took the full week. Test last Monday, result today... All excellent and low risk, most importantly, as a bonus hubby and I asked to know the gender and it's a GIRL! :p
    We had lunch together afterwards talking about names. It was such a great feeling, relief and excitement. Afterwards I popped into Monsoon baby section to look at all the pretty dresses.
    I hate to think what kind of lunch it would've been if it wasn't good news as we were really preparing ourselves for anything so we could try to deal with it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ruad

This is just a general observation, but I notice that some people who are long-term TTC or maybe even IVF pregnancies are getting this done. Is there a reason to get it done besides deciding whether to continue with the pregnancy? I'm very long-term TTC myself and I know if I did find myself lucky enough to be pregnant, I'd keep it no matter what as it may never happen for me again, and screening a baby you're keeping regardless of health issues doesn't make sense to me. Obviously anomaly scans are different because you're keeping the baby anyway at that point. I'm just trying to wrap my head around it all and maybe there's a reason I'm missing, feel free not to answer.

I think its a very personal decision, even though we waited years we wanted to know, I'd had a previous mc that was diagnosed as chromosonal. I'd rather find out at 10 weeks and have options/choices than when it was too late. Because it took us longer than expected to have a baby (currently expecting no. 2), we are older and that would also be something that if there was something wrong with the baby we wanted to be able to take into account. Its a personal thing, I don't believe you can say what you'd do 100% until in that position in my opinion.

Ruad wrote: »
    This is just a general observation, but I notice that some people who are long-term TTC or maybe even IVF pregnancies are getting this done. Is there a reason to get it done besides deciding whether to continue with the pregnancy? I'm very long-term TTC myself and I know if I did find myself lucky enough to be pregnant, I'd keep it no matter what as it may never happen for me again, and screening a baby you're keeping regardless of health issues doesn't make sense to me. Obviously anomaly scans are different because you're keeping the baby anyway at that point. I'm just trying to wrap my head around it all and maybe there's a reason I'm missing, feel free not to answer.

To decide if you want to proceed with the pregnancy or just to be prepared. To be honest, I'd do any new tests or scans going! :D I think the relief of not worrying the baby has X Y or Z is a big plus after the harmony, regardless of what you'd do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Ruad wrote: »
    Is there a reason to get it done besides deciding whether to continue with the pregnancy?

I (luckily) wasn't long term TTC and would most likely have kept the baby no matter what the outcome but I did not want any surprises down the line. My first labour was very long and traumatic and resulted in my son being in special care with suspected meningitis, all was fine but it was incredibly stressful and I dont think I could cope with being told anything was wrong with my baby after going through another exhausting labour.

By taking the harmony test at 10 weeks we were able to have plenty of time to prepare ourselves should something be wrong. Thankfully we got the all clear and now we have a couple less things to worry about.

On a side note, I would never judge parents who decided not to continue with the pregnancy if they received negative news, these decisions are not taken lightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I agree it's very personal and I'd never have a negative opinion of anyone who would choose to terminate their pregnancy for whatever reason. For me, I've no interest in getting it done and if I was told tomorrow that my unborn child has Downes or something it wouldnt change the love I have for them already. We've been patients of a fertility clinic for a few years. The harmony test was never mentioned to us and if it's in the literature, I must've missed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Kantava

Since we are expecting twins I was told doing it would give uncertain results and be sort of pointless. Further tests would carry double the risk (amnio) Even if they found a problem, they wouldnt be sure which baby had it, and you couldn't do anything without endangering the other.

It was nearly worth €550 just to be told the gender!!! I was walking on air that day. It was so real

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Beanybabog wrote: »
    It was nearly worth €550 just to be told the gender!!! I was walking on air that day. It was so real

This!!

I really wanted to know the gender :) By the time I'd read up on all the harmony info, I was only a few weeks away from having the gender identified on a scan. But if there was a test to determine gender at 10 ish weeks, I'd definitely have had that done. Not for €550 tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Kantava

they cant even tell the gender for certain with twins unless they are both girls.

Kantava wrote: »
    they cant even tell the gender for certain with twins unless they are both girls.

Yeah an if you get a Y you know you're having at least 1 if not two boys!!

Lucyfur wrote: »
    The harmony test was never mentioned to us and if it's in the literature, I must've missed it!

I think if you are over a certain age now they automatically advise you on it.
    Countries like New Zealand do it automatically as part of prenatal care.

I think if you are over a certain age now they automatically advise you on it.
    Countries like New Zealand do it automatically as part of prenatal care.

There has been discussions about putting it on the NHS also. My friend who lives in the UK said he heard an interesting debate about it. On the one hand there was a pro-life camp saying it shouldn't be available as it would encourage abortion. On the other hand you had doctors saying it was more reliable and safer than the current tests. Apparently there was also a woman who sadly lost a baby from getting the amniocentesis test.

I wouldn't have thought it was that controversial to be honest since Downs tests are already available, albeit much less reliable and less safe than this one. I personally think it's fantastic and if you are pro-life/don't want to know/aren't concerned for whatever reason just don't do it.

That's it each to their own, do what works for you and your family, people are too quick to give their opinions and push their choices on others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Even If you're keeping a baby with genetic problems, it makes sense to be prepared. Wouldn't it be better to get all the info you could on the condition? Find out what state help may be available, what charities provide help and info, decisions on whether one of you would need to give up work... These are huge enablers before you have your baby rather than finding out these sad news on what should be happiest moment after labour.
    The anti-abortion campaigners really annoy me, they push their agenda on every one.. I'm pro life, pro woman's life and her right to it..

Advertisement