Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enda Kenny Elected Taoiseach

• 06-05-2016 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

Enda Kenny has been elected Taoiseach by the narrow margin of 59-49.

It's hard to see this Government lasting long. I can see them getting through one budget anyway. It's hard to see too many independents sticking around when the going gets tough.

Link

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

We've had 70 days since the election and they barely got it across the line. Negotiations with the independents were still underway minutes before the vote was called. You'd have to wonder with all the drama and concessions that it's taken to get this far whether it'll last long at all. Having said that, they are to some extent locked in now. Whoever pulls the plug will want to feel sure they'll come out better next time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Indeed, pulling the plug will have to be for a good reason. Who are the Endapendents?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I gather it's Shane Ross, Finian McGrath, Seán Canney, John Halligan, and Boxer Moran of the Independent Alliance. Katherine Zappone. Denis Naughten and Michael Harty of the Rural Alliance. Michael Lowry.

One more than technically was needed, but they couldn't do a deal with Lowry, so really they only got the bare minimum.

A diverse bunch shall we say. Good point on Lowry, can't be seen to rely on him.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Interesting times ahead. First time we'll have independents in cabinet I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

K-9 wrote: »
    Indeed, pulling the plug will have to be for a good reason. Who are the Endapendents?

Independents could get away with pulling the plug for something weak. Halligan could withdraw support if there is no progress on 24 hour cardiac care for Waterford. He might come in for criticism around the country but that wouldn't damage his chances much in Waterford I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭roast222

Absolutely nuts to think that Kenny is back in for another term despite the unpopularity of the last government and the election wipe out. No freshness to this government, the mood is just one of despair.

Well SF, AAA and SD's didn't seem that bothered about Government so little option left barring another election, which is unlikely to change the numbers in any big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭roast222

Well SF, AAA and SD's didn't seem that bothered about Government so little option left barring another election, which is unlikely to change the numbers in any big way.

You've ignored the elephant in the room. The obvious option was FF & FG considering the lack of discernible difference in their policies and the fact that the numbers worked. For a small country, far too many parties exist with no real difference betweeen them.

FG have made a dogs dinner of this and FF will be the major victors as they can hold the balance of power without actually having any responsibility. They can already claim a small victory over the water climbdown forced on FG and I'd expect them to be once again the biggest party by the time the next election comes around.

• Advertisement

Well Kenny did propose a coalition to Martin and he rejected it, so an FG minority government was the last option standing.

But you're right. FF have played their hand very well since the election and if they continue to make hay like this, they could very well be the largest party next time out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Lowry might have to step down as a TD if his tax affairs catch up on him

Anyway, best of luck to Enda and his government.

I expect myself to disagree with them strongly on a range of issues, but maybe less so now that there are a few Independents in there to alter FG thinking

roast222 wrote: »
    You've ignored the elephant in the room. The obvious option was FF & FG considering the lack of discernible difference in their policies and the fact that the numbers worked. For a small country, far too many parties exist with no real difference betweeen them.

FG have made a dogs dinner of this and FF will be the major victors as they can hold the balance of power without actually having any responsibility. They can already claim a small victory over the water climbdown forced on FG and I'd expect them to be once again the biggest party by the time the next election comes around.

Tbh I prefer FF in, but not quite in, I wouldn't trust the 2 of them in a real coalition.

I suppose it's living in sin rather than tying the knot!

Interesting times ahead. First time we'll have independents in cabinet I think.

I was wrong. Harry McGee in the Times today points out that it's happened before:
    [Ross] too has Fine Gael roots and will now achieve the same as another semi-detached Fine Gaeler, James Dillon, who became minister for agriculture as an Independent in an inter-party government over six decades ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Absolutely nuts to think that Kenny is back in for another term despite the unpopularity of the last government and the election wipe out. No freshness to this government, the mood is just one of despair.
    the electorate didn't choose "freshness" as an option for the incoming government. The electorate voted for more of the same, in effect.

That said, it can be argued that the existence of so many Independents in cabinet and government adds a new layer of accountability which wasn't there before. They're not under a whip and prevented from publicly criticising the rest of the cabinet. Unlike a two-party coalition they don't have to keep their colleagues happy or face wrath. If they lose their cabinet seat as retribution, they can withdraw from government.

In effect we may actually see this "new politics" we were promised last time because Enda has to try and keep his nose clean.

IT podcast made the point that this could well be the last election for Ross and Finian McGrath, I suppose they got a chance to leave some type of legacy and thought it was better than staying in opposition yet again. As for the whip, they'll constantly be reminded of the deals they signed up to, but I'm sure they'll vote against on certain issues and something will get worked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Not much of a wipeout. Fine Gael's vote was down but they remain the largest party in the Dáil. There seems to be a lot on social media about how Kenny can't be Taoiseach as FG only got a quarter of the vote. We have proportional representation so we haven't had a party get more than half the first preference vote since 1977.

The leader of the largest party formed a government amidst a highly fractured Dáil.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Lockstep wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot on social media about how Kenny can't be Taoiseach as FG only got a quarter of the vote.

I despair when I see crap like that. I want to ask those people: on that basis, who should - hell, who can - be Taoiseach?

It's a really, really stupid argument.

I suppose we just keep voting until their preferred a leader gets 50%.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I suppose we just keep voting until their preferred a leader gets 50%.

...because, as we all know, no Irish voter has ever, ever bitched and moaned incessantly for years on end at being asked to vote again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement