Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for old Geneology website

Options
  • 06-05-2016 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Guys,

I am wondering if you could help. Both my parents have passed away and I would like to begin diving into my family tree and as you can imagine information is now scarcely available.

I remember starting sometime last year and I was able to find a website where I could start right at the beginning and search for a record of my own birth and various other family members (some even born in the early 2000s)

To be honest, it didn't give much information I just used it mainly for locating years of deaths, births, marriages and mothers maiden names.

My father and mother were both born in the 1960's and I would really like to use this information to find my grandmother's maiden name and trace back from there. I know most records only go to 1950's

Are any of you aware of such site that gives this information?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,765 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This was the full GRO DB on irishgenealogy.ie and it was pulled for data protection reasons.

You can get birth certs for anyone from certificates.ie which will give you that data, €20 a go. Not sure if 1960s are available at the GRO research rooms but if they are it would be cheaper to pay the index fees and for genealogy cert copies which are cheaper; if you are in/near Dublin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You can get up to 1958 online for the indexes (or deaths to 1964 on irishgenealogy.ie). In the GRO reading room, you can get certs up to 1995.

Have a read of our sticky which will get you started.

Certificates.ie will just cost lots of extra money and the research copies have all the same information for €4 a go.

Genealogy Forum Mod

You can also fax orders to Roscommon if you aren't near Dublin and get the certs emailed to you.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Boscod

Last time I was in the GRO I got a 'Research Facility - Death Record' for a 2009 death. Books aren't available for recent years, so they to do a search (e2), and if you are happy with the result you purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DannyTheManny

Thanks for the information lads!

One thing also, If I was to get a record for a birth of grandfather, would the record have his father and mothers name on the cert like we have now days?

• Advertisement

If you read the sticky, it answers all those questions.

Birth certs will have both parents names, unless the child is illegitimate and the father did not consent or the mother did not acknowledge.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

OP is possibly thinking of familysearch.org

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'm pretty sure what he describes is the GRO website when it launched.
    Family Search never had records up to as recent as 2000 for Ireland

Genealogy Forum Mod

It's definitely irishgenealogy as L1011 said above.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement