Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mega Mackerel Merge 2016 - They're breaking! Mod Note #1

Options
  • 06-05-2016 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Anyone know if there is anything being caught around the clare coast yet? Might try early next week but won't bother Targeting macks if it's too early yet?

MOD NOTE: All mackerel related posts here (chat, locations, etc.) As per the charter do not start another thread while this one is stickied

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Warlock45 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is anything being caught around the clare coast yet? Might try early next week but won't bother Targeting macks if it's too early yet?

Its usally around august afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

you sometimes will get small amounts off fenit pier in kerry as early as April so there might be some about float fishing I find is the best when they are in small numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Could this be the start of the 2016 Mackerel thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Warlock45

Its usally around august afaik

Caught a lot all over clare between start and mid June last year

Also was wondering with this 'heatwave' next week would it bring the plankton in and therefore the mackerel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Warlock45 wrote: »
    Also was wondering with this 'heatwave' next week would it bring the plankton in and therefore the mackerel?

Still early days yet mate. And I normally find any mackerel I catch this time of year taste rotten. They need to be around a while and get good sprat in them to taste good

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nokiatom

Still early days yet mate. And I normally find any mackerel I catch this time of year taste rotten. They need to be around a while and get good sprat in them to taste good

they are spent after spawning a month or two ago. it takes a few months before they build themselves up again. and rotten they do taste. !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Could this be the start of the 2016 Mackerel thread?

Could be you know. Needs more mackerel ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Dismal weather recently notwithstanding, today brought out the anglers on the end of the West Pier in Dun Laoghaire. Delighted to see a few mackerel coming in on the silver flies!

There are also some dolphins at play in Scotsman's Bay nearby - obviously the weather and presence of, or the hunt for fish has brought them in.

Here's to a good summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Dun Laoghaire pier saw a few landed today (and recently).

• Advertisement

Going to try a few spots in west clare this coming weekend weather permitting, will report back if I catch or not and if I do what they taste like at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

Hi,

Any reports of Mackerel in Sligo?

Thinking about hitting Easkey Pier this weekend.

Cheers

JP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Saw some lads get plenty last night in south Kerry on the incoming tide

Fished west clare Sunday evening but the tide was out and caught nothing, although there was signs that fish had been caught earlier in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Randomise

Just wondering anyone know if mackerel are in yet? Thinking ofor heading out to the pier this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

I'd be leaving it for another month to 6 weeks. It hasn't fished well at all last few years. Better off heading south a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Do people even catch Makerel off Clogher anymore? I'am originally from Clogher and gave up trying maybe 6/7 years ago now. Moved away since and all i've been hearing is bad results.
    Seems you need a boat these days. Barren lands!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

I haven't tried it in years either skipz. But I know a few who always go down and they only ever get an odd one.
    Even people on boats don't get good catches. The shoals are giving up coming near it for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

The mackerel the past couple of years has been bad all around Louth, so it's not anything really with Clogherhead. Three years ago the fishing was great, and it has its good days. However, the earliest I have ever caught mackerel there was mid-June (and the latest in mid-Nov), so I'd guess it might be too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

uvox wrote: »
    Dun Laoghaire pier saw a few landed today (and recently).

Were they a decent size? Hopefully if we get a good couple of weeks of sunshine it should improve things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Randomise

skipz wrote: »
    Do people even catch Makerel off Clogher anymore? I'am originally from Clogher and gave up trying maybe 6/7 years ago now. Moved away since and all i've been hearing is bad results.
    Seems you need a boat these days. Barren lands!

I was out last year in clogher on the pier had abit of luck and a few around me did too. But it was hit and miss some days. But hoping to head back out next few weeks

Small numbers in west clare, got two yesterday in a one hour session, two of the biggest mackerel I've caught to date,tasted fine

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mihafm

Lots of mackerel being caught two weeks ago from the far side of Donegal. Last weekend i caught only three. Some pollock , ling and ballan wrasse landed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Any reports of macks in Galway yet? Salthill to be specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Any reports of macks in Galway yet? Salthill to be specific.

A workmate of mine was out around Spiddal last weekend and caught a few nice sized macks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Blondie919 wrote: »
    A workmate of mine was out around Spiddal last weekend and caught a few nice sized macks.

Where's a good spot in Spiddal to cast a line - behind the pier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Where's a good spot in Spiddal to cast a line - behind the pier?

I don't know as haven't fished there myself but my mate went out in a boat. I suppose you could take a walk down to Salthill when it's high tide. If they are in you should see people fishing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I was down the old head wrasse fishing this morning and there was a lad fishing feathers. Gladly saw him blank as he ignored me when i said a cheery "morning" as i walked past him lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

I was mackerel fishing and caught a lot of tiny ones but while I was at it I caught a 5.5lb pollock. Is that a good size for a pollock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Olwas2014 wrote: »
    I was mackerel fishing and caught a lot of tiny ones but while I was at it I caught a 5.5lb pollock. Is that a good size for a pollock

Pollack can grow pretty big but thats a decent fish, it wouldnt be classed as "big" but id happily catch fish like that any day of the week. Theres a great fight off them, especially when they get over 4/5lbs.

Advertisement