Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mega Mackerel Merge 2016 - They're breaking! Mod Note #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Great stuff, the lads in the shop didn't steer me wrong so (Duffy's in Galway)!
    All set for high tide, I'll head down about an hour before high tide tonight and see what I get. I'll let you all know how I get on.

Very excited I have to say! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Going mackerel fishing for the first time this weekend :D
    Up the coast from Killybegs, so will be an experience!
    More used to lakes, and pike and perch, looking forward to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Clownyface

300+ Mackerel caught by 3 of us today at killkee between 11am to 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

Went out of Malahide yesterday 9 of us fishing off Ireland's eye caught about a dozen between us very bad

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭MWforumfisher

Was boat fishing not too far from the shore in Donegal yesterday, between the four of us there was around 10 mackerel and maybe 20+ pollack and coalfish. Not gonna give away the exact location but the place was full of fish ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Was boat fishing not too far from the shore in Donegal yesterday, between the four of us there was around 10 mackerel and maybe 20+ pollack and coalfish. Not gonna give away the exact location but the place was full of fish ;)

Don't be daft - that kind of attitude is ridiculous. Even though Donegal is on the other side of the country, my favourite spots there are St. Johns Point (not great for mackerel, but fabulous for Wrasse), the rocks around the corner from Kilcar pier (great for pollack), Teelin from the pier or around off the rocks, Malin Beg for Trigger Fish, off the rocks at Portnoo and so on. By spreading the good news, you make fishing more productive and more popular and it doesn't have any negative impact on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I had a few hours yesterday at St.Johns Point and drew a complete blank. Had a wander through Mooney Boats store in Killybegs today, drooling over the hardware..... :D

Found a Lifebouy and its rope jammed in rocks around the point, so cut it loose and stuck it on a post at the little beach, good deed for the weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nokiatom

plenty of mackerel caught off the shore in Youghal last night.

bpmurray wrote: »
    Don't be daft - that kind of attitude is ridiculous. Even though Donegal is on the other side of the country, my favourite spots there are St. Johns Point (not great for mackerel, but fabulous for Wrasse), the rocks around the corner from Kilcar pier (great for pollack), Teelin from the pier or around off the rocks, Malin Beg for Trigger Fish, off the rocks at Portnoo and so on. By spreading the good news, you make fishing more productive and more popular and it doesn't have any negative impact on you.

Thanks for telling me your favourite spots, and I'm sorry I can't give away that location I caught the fish that day. It was a spot that was found by another fisherman, and he brought me out on his boat to show us. I'd feel bad about giving away a gem he found, if I found it myself I'd have no problem giving it away. Hope you can understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ovidiu86ro

Still no sign of any mackarell on clogherhead ! Just few pollacks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Thanks for telling me your favourite spots, and I'm sorry I can't give away that location I caught the fish that day. It was a spot that was found by another fisherman, and he brought me out on his boat to show us. I'd feel bad about giving away a gem he found, if I found it myself I'd have no problem giving it away. Hope you can understand.

If I had a couple of big boats and did pair trawling across the spot, I'd understand the reticence. However there is zero chance that I, or anyone else on this forum, would have any impact whatsoever on fishing that spot. Some commercial charters are jealous of their spots, trying to have an edge over their competitors and I suppose that's understandable, but otherwise it makes no sense whatsoever.

Edit: If you're talking about boat marks, try a mile or so south of Teelin Bay a couple of miles off shore over dirty ground, between Muckross and Inishduff - fabulous fishing. Also, between Rathlin O'Beirne and Malin Beg is great - that's not far from where That Tuna was caught. And I was told these by someone who charters in the knowledge that only netting would have an impact on the fishing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

any reports of Mackeral about - I'll be in West Cork this weekend and hoping to get a few for the BBQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

Any mackerel showing in black head or along the clare coast ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

The old man caught a load off Bray during the Air Show. He was a couple of hundred meters off the shore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Anyone tried the boats in bullock harbour yet? Promised an Aussie lad off the rugby team I'd bring him out next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

The old man caught a load off Bray during the Air Show. He was a couple of hundred meters off the shore though.

Slightly out of casting range so!?

Any boat rentals around bray?

Any boat rentals by bray? The only one I really know is Bullock

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bmea

Any tips for Cork? Specific locations would be great cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭flended12

bmea wrote:

Courtmacsherry was jammed with them off broad and blind strand last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

bmea wrote: »

Myrtleville and Church Bay beyond crosshaven. Bull rock was also another great spot. It's around the corner from churchbay looking over at Roche's point. Anything would be liable to turn up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

ovidiu86ro wrote: »
    Still no sign of any mackarell on clogherhead ! Just few pollacks

Got 7 this evening off the rocks. 3 on one cast and 4 on the other, bad swell and wind affecting any long casting. As usual at Clogher head you get 3 and then none for the next 20 casts. Not bad for the seasons first mackeral venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

Lads I'm heading to Ardmore in the next few days, any idea where theres a good spot for mackeral? Am new to sea fishing and will have the small fella with me so I want to show him a good time fishing. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ovidiu86ro

Fiskar wrote: »
    Got 7 this evening off the rocks. 3 on one cast and 4 on the other, bad swell and wind affecting any long casting. As usual at Clogher head you get 3 and then none for the next 20 casts. Not bad for the seasons first mackeral venture.
    I will go next week and have a try . Hope to be at least like last year but doesn't look so great till now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Lads I'm heading to Ardmore in the next few days, any idea where theres a good spot for mackeral? Am new to sea fishing and will have the small fella with me so I want to show him a good time fishing. Cheers.

I don't know anything about Ardmore but Helvick is less than half hour drive away. That can be great for mackerel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

First day out this year. Went to harbour at Clogherhead. Good crowd about, most caught one or two, including meself! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

ovidiu86ro wrote: »
    I will go next week and have a try . Hope to be at least like last year but doesn't look so great till now

I will be there again in a week or so, last year was a disaster, year before had one good day. Conditions a huge factor as well as the seals. Rocks are pretty dangerous especially when wet and windy so am always watchful and keep a weary eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Galwayboy1888

Any sign of mackerel around galway yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

charter boats getting plenty in kilmore this week. had a go myself and had a few dozen . not too far off but not close enough to catch from the beach yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

270WIN wrote: »
    Any mackerel showing in black head or along the clare coast ?

I caught 16 on the B'Vaughan side of blackhead last Tuesday the 26th, only a few ppl there and they didnt catch anything that evening!

Advertisement