Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mega Mackerel Merge 2016 - They're breaking! Mod Note #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Fiskar wrote: »
    I will be there again in a week or so, last year was a disaster, year before had one good day. Conditions a huge factor as well as the seals. Rocks are pretty dangerous especially when wet and windy so am always watchful and keep a weary eye.

The seals have no impact on mackerel coming into the area. There's a population of about a dozen there, and they're not that great at catching speedy mackerel anyway. However, they are a pain when they steal them off the line.

Those rocks aren't exposed to much of a swell either - it's not like the west coast where a big wave could sneak up & wash you off.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Just spent two days on the kayak at Ballinskelligs, Kerry and the macks were very scarce. Now to be fair I wasn't targeting them specifically but I was using feathers on one rod and catching mostly Pollock. When I did get a couple of macks, I'd unhook them, drop back down within a minute and nothing! No big shoals, just sporadic fish in ones and two's. They weren't even showing up on the fish finder. This time two years ago I was hauling them in non stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nokiatom

plenty of mackerel breaking in Youghal
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDWlkjPWfRw

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

nokiatom wrote: »
    plenty of mackerel breaking in Youghal
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDWlkjPWfRw

Well now we know where all the mackerel went

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jolatacqce

They were still being caught on Wed.3/8,on the evening flood tide,in Youghal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Any boat rentals by bray? The only one I really know is Bullock

I've no idea tbh, he was on his own boat.

Yeah the only ones I know of are in Bullock, god knows what prices they are charging these days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mjp

Bullock is €20 an hour for boat when rang last week. €8 per rod then but you can bring your own gear. Went from there twice last year but can't remember if was €10 or €20 an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Just wondering.
    Any updates from Youghal.
    Was planning on going there this weekend.

Just a quick question
    Do mackerel feed in the dark.
    Say high tide would be during the night.
    Or is day light better for catching
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Just wondering.
    Thanks

I believe they hunt on sight, i.e. they need relatively clear water and light. However, I have caught them after nightfall when they've been in a feeding frenzy, circling around in a harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nokiatom

Just wondering.

Just a quick question
    Thanks

Mackerel being caught again this evening but not as plentiful as in the last few days. If you notice in the above video the mackerel were in at low water which would not be the norm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just wondering.

Just a quick question
    Thanks

If fishing after dark get yourself a surface lure . They are great craic. You will see the mackerel chase it before you hook one

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Was out in Clougherhead last night in the kayak, nothing in close to the shore but ventured out about a 1km or so and the place was alive with them! Big ones too!

Normally this late they would be in very close to shore!

small break in one of the docks in Youghal this morning,6/8@9.00,no one fishing there.

jolatacqce wrote: »
    small break in one of the docks in Youghal this morning,6/8@9.00,no one fishing there.

Please jolatacqce can you keep us updated regards Youghal.
    Planning to go there in the next few days
    Thanks

As requested,checked along the quays in Youghal this morning.About a doz.rods fishing in one spot,watched for 10-15 mins.Saw just 2 mackerel being caught.A few rods at back of Quays bar,no action there.This was around 09.00 am.

As requested,checked along the quays in Youghal this morning.About a doz.rods fishing in one spot,watched for 10-15 mins.Saw just 2 mackerel being caught.A few rods at back of Quays bar,no action there.This was around 09.00 am.

Thanks.
    Great to have some one on the ground there

No prob.,watch out as the wk.progresses,winds going w-nw,this will bring them in to the harbour,I,ll keep ye posted.

No prob.,watch out as the wk.progresses,winds going w-nw,this will bring them in to the harbour,I,ll keep ye posted.

Great
    Keep the updates coming

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bmea

Can you catch at low tide? Or do they only come in at high tide. Wont be around at high tide over the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

bmea wrote: »
    Can you catch at low tide? Or do they only come in at high tide. Wont be around at high tide over the next few days

I always find 2 hours before and 2 after high tide is best for mackrel.

• Advertisement

Very quite this morning,saw just one mackerel being caught,a couple of hours after high water.Picked up a few flounders myself fishing from the boat.Had to haul up and leave about an hour after high water as the weed got very heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Loads caught at Black Head yesterday evening, I got 42 in just over an hour, and lots of other people catching good amounts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Nothing in Galway last night. Spoke to two divers as well and they said they saw no mackerel during two hours of diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hiujn

Anything around salthill?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Didn't catch any myself today in and around Hawlbowline in cork, but got talking to dude and he said he caught a dozen or so in Monkstown last night. Loads of sprat around though

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Mackerel were being caught off the quays in Youghal on Sat. 13/8 around high water time.

Mackerel were being caught off the quays in Youghal on Sat. 13/8 around high water time.

Better start making tracks there so.
    Where is the best spot there, never fished in Youghal before
    Thanks

What is the best times for mackerel.
    A high tide in the morning or a high tide in the evening.
    Do it make any difference really

• Registered Users Posts: 14 cheddie

8:30 am to 4:30pm today....8 hours between dalkey and dun laoghaire ..4 lads on the boat and between 65-70 makerel caught in total. Very hit and miss no sign of any big shoals all fish were 1 or 2 at a time no full hook ups... Maybe still a bit early??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Anything down carne direction?

Advertisement