Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mega Mackerel Merge 2016 - They're breaking! Mod Note #1

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

Cobh isn't a bad spot. There's plenty of space along the quays from the town centre down to the train station. It doesn't get as crowded as the likes of Ballycotton etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Anything happening around Dalkey, I was thinking of give Coliemore a bash for a few hours tomorrow afternoon, is it worth my while?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Still some Macks around, but when do they disappear from offshore again. Sea temperatures dropping now so assume they'll be damn all about in the next couple of weeks or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Still some Macks around, but when do they disappear from offshore again. Sea temperatures dropping now so assume they'll be damn all about in the next couple of weeks or so?

It depends on where you are - my latest from Clogherhead was Nov 15.

bpmurray wrote: »
    It depends on where you are - my latest from Clogherhead was Nov 15.

Good to know, thanks! BTW, I'm based in Mayo, so Clew bay/Killala bay would be my spots. Hopefully we have a few more weeks so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Haven't heard of many/any been caught in the Galway prom area this year. I'm not living over this side of the country long enough to know if off years happen from time to time but it's the first time in the 10 or so years I've been over here that I don't remember seeing good runs of fish.

Anyone know if this is a normal cyclical type thing or if the factory trawlers off Iceland have finally done it for the mackerel?

....or did I just miss them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭dmc17

Caribs wrote: »
    Haven't heard of many/any been caught in the Galway prom area this year. I'm not living over this side of the country long enough to know if off years happen from time to time but it's the first time in the 10 or so years I've been over here that I don't remember seeing good runs of fish.

Anyone know if this is a normal cyclical type thing or if the factory trawlers off Iceland have finally done it for the mackerel?

....or did I just miss them?

Been catching a few off Clare coast over the summer. Nothing spectacular, but enough all the same. Caught ~20 last Saturday too which was 1st October, so was happy enough with that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDWlkjPWfRwperhaps they came in early this year! No shortage of Macks in this video from Youghal in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDWlkjPWfRwperhaps they came in early this year! No shortage of Macks in this video from Youghal in July.

July wasn't early. (we had that video in post #94).

I got some on the east coast last Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nokiatom

July wasn't early. (we had that video in post #94).

I got some on the east coast last Monday.
    Not many mackerel seen since then in Youghal. September and early October are usually the better months to catch them off the quays but this season has been windy and the bait is not moving in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jolatacqce

Hi all,a friend of mine caught 20 mackerel off the quay in Youghal on Fri.last 28/Oct.Also as I was mooring my boat in Nealons Quay,known locally as Buttimers dock,yesterday evening,just before high water,there was a big break of mackerel in the dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

I caught a mackeral on bait and saw a few small breaks down in monkstown last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

squidly wrote: »
    I caught a mackeral on bait and saw a few small breaks down in monkstown last week.

When I lived in Cork I fished the wall, cobh and ringaskiddy a lot. Always had a small trout rod with us and floated a sliver of mackerel. Got mackerel all year round doing that. Used to be great to have fresh bait for whiting and great craic too!

Saw mackerel breaking around the pier in monkstown one frosty December night too!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mikecraddock

I caught mackerel yesterday, in Cork harbour! Mad to think they still around in mid November!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just saw on Facebook that mackerel being caught in Ardmore!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

SeaFields wrote: »
    Just saw on Facebook that mackerel being caught in Ardmore!

Global warming! - One step closer to the mackerel thread being busy all year round :D

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nokiatom

That's not unusual. In December I caught about 20. Last year I got half a box in January

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Yep, I was out for a stroll over the Christmas on the West Pier in Dun Laoghaire and there were lads catching small mackerel and herring on feathers off the end of the lighthouse. Weirdly, some of the feathers had small strips of bait on them too, seemed to work on the day..... :rolleyes:

Advertisement