Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Upgrading my C class

Options
  • 06-05-2016 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've a 2 year old c class C180 diesel with the AMG kit. I usually upgrade every 2 years and its getting close to the 162 reg now. I've test driven an A4,a 3 series and the new small Jag. I'm fairly impressed with the beemer and the jag but I thought the Audi was a bit to similar to the old one.

I'm wanting to get away from Merc this time so I'm wondering which of the usual crowd of small "exec" cars would be a nice alternative. Something a little more fun to drive while still being a motorway cruiser.

My usual commute is about 100kms. ~16 of which are on twisty roads and the remainder on the M9/M7/M50. My budget would be about €50k (with the trade in)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

Lexus IS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What about the BMW 420d Gran Coupe?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭onzlo

The Lexus IS is a lovely looking car, but I don't think the real world mpg of a hybrid could match a diesel for the mileage I do.

I never even thought of the 4 series! I may go on the hunt for one to test drive

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Volvo S60? The R Design is a fairly nice looking car imo.

420d is a nice shout also, I'm just wondering though are they much of a different drive compared to the 320d?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

A4 3.0Tdi quattro is a shade over 50k before delivery or paint in SE spec. 218ps should make it a lot more fun to drive than a C180d.

Few little bits missing, but leather, Nav and xenons standard. Much more of a sleeper than a C-Class AUG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

bazz26 wrote: »
    What about the BMW 420d Gran Coupe?

430d Gran Coupe?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Could also throw caution to the wind and go for a Ghibli diesel.

Not for 50k. Cheapest new 430d GC is 60k before you add any decent extras to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Would you go for a high spec Passat/Superb? Or Golf GTD?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Volvo S60 is a good shout.

Wonder when the Alfa Giulia is going to hit these shores... That looks like it's going to be a cracker.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies!

I've had a look at the 4 series grab coupe. Its a fine looking machine. I'll probably have a look at one next week in the metal.

Isn't the ghibli more of a 5 series size car?

For the Passat/superb/ golf gtd, they're a fine car but I don't think they're for me.

I'll have to look for a Volvo. Is the auto box any good in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

BMW 330E?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

jsd1004 wrote: »
    BMW 330E?

I think diesels days are numbered, oil burners will be outlawed in a lot of cities soon.

jsd1004 wrote: »
    I think diesels days are numbered, oil burners will be outlawed in a lot of cities soon.

Shouldn't be a huge problem given that diesels aren't intended for city driving anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

onzlo wrote: »
    The Lexus IS is a lovely looking car, but I don't think the real world mpg of a hybrid could match a diesel for the mileage I do.

I never even thought of the 4 series! I may go on the hunt for one to test drive

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/bmw/3-series-f30-2012/320d-automatic
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/bmw/4-series-f36-gran-coupe-2014/420d-automatic
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/lexus/is-2013/300h

Mileage is virtually identical. But petrol is still pricier...

The IS300h's performance is a bit underwhelming to be honest. 223bhp from a 2.5 litre lump + electric motor, 0 to 60 in 8.3 seconds and top speed of 124mph. I know figures aren't everything but I'd expect a bit better from that setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

what about a high spec Mercedes GLA? Either 220d or 250 petrol. Fine looking car and plenty of BHP over the 180d C class.

Or recapture your youth and go for a GTI golf. Seriously go and test drive one its a lot of fun and very easy to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

bazz26 wrote: »
    The IS300h's performance is a bit underwhelming to be honest. 223bhp from a 2.5 litre lump + electric motor, 0 to 60 in 8.3 seconds and top speed of 124mph. I know figures aren't everything but I'd expect a bit better from that setup.

The IS is more about comfort than anything. The reputation for reliability is what really sells them. They're not short on power, but they just feel sedate. Claimed mpg is bollox though. Not a fan of the just announced facelift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I was in the Jag XE r sport the other day for a test drive,
    Lovely car and it would be my Pick of the bunch
    Looks lovely and something different than the usual A4 and BMW.
    It will be the next car that I buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

XsApollo wrote: »
    I was in the Jag XE r sport the other day for a test drive,
    Lovely car and it would be my Pick of the bunch
    Looks lovely and something different than the usual A4 and BMW.
    It will be the next car that I buy.

It's different but I was disappointed with the XE, thought it was poorly finished and just looked out of proportion. Don't think much of the new XF either, evidence of the bean counters there as well. Loved the previous model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

It's different but I was disappointed with the XE, thought it was poorly finished and just looked out of proportion. Don't think much of the new XF either, evidence of the bean counters there as well. Loved the previous model.

Yea the fit and finish is not on a par with the 3 Germans but i don't think it was bad, being a lover and owner of Saabs that was never a sticking point for me :-P

I loved the interior and with the right wheels in sport trim i think it looks the business.

Hi Guys. Sorry I haven't been replying, was away all weekend.

I'm not too keen on the IS or the Merc GLA tbh. I'm going too look at a 4 series tomorrow. Hopefully they are as nice in the metal. I may have another look at the Jag tomorrow. I'm fairly keen on the 4 series though

Right. So after quite a bit of deliberation. I went with a 320d M-Sport in Estoril Blue with red leather interior. It was a smashing car to drive and I got quite a good deal on the trade in. Thanks for all the suggestions lad and ladies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭carsfan2

That's known as the "superman" colour combination in bmw forums.
    Will look stunning.
    Well wear.

Advertisement