Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to say want and need in Irish

• 06-05-2016 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Can any of you tell me whether there is a specific difference between saying 'I want' and 'I need' in Irish? I'm learning at the moment, and am a bit confused by this (primarily because I'm finding it difficult to get my head around the prepositions generally).

So, my understanding is that they seem to be the same, but there are a few different ways of saying it.
    1) tá + the thing wanted/needed + ó
    2) Teastaíonn + the thing wanted/needed + ó
    3) Caithfidh ...

Is that right? And am I right in thinking that Irish sees no distinction between need and want?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Want, need and require are all the same i nGaeilge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Thanks Caoimhgh1n!

Just for clarification, those three methods are correct for expressing want and need (and require)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Caithfidh is must but yeah want and need is the same in Irish. I believe teastaíonn can be used to emphasize need though but obviously with the understanding it also means want.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You can also use fonn for want but not really need but it's a little aspirational in its sense.

Eg. Tá fonn orm X a dhéanamh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

de dhíth ar is another way. Ued in the context of wanting or lacking something (same difference)

Tá gluaisteán de dhíth orm I want/need car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

...agus i dTír Chonaill

Caidé 'tá (de) dhíobháil ort....What do you want.

Advertisement