Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to best to live near Dublin?

Options
  • 06-05-2016 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi,

In a similar thread to http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055501866 a friend of mine is looking to live near but not in Dublin City Centre. I don't know what are good or bad locations so I thought I would look for advice here...

Some things to note:
    - preferably it should be on a train line that is about 40 minutes or less from Connolly or Heuston
    - rent should be no more than €1,000 a month - for a 3 bed house with a modest garden (think 2 adults and 2 children)

I have suggested places like Maynooth, Kilcock, Greystones but rents in places like this may be outside of budget.

7 years ago the other thread worked out really well for me so I thought it was worth a shot again.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

3 bed anywhere near Dublin for under a grand is fantasy. Maynooth has one place that fits the bill and looks like it's a student house only available for the summer. There's also this caravan which showed up in the funny places to rent thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The closest I can find is the likes of Portarlington or Dundalk. Both are about 1 1/2 hours to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

3 bed anywhere near Dublin for under a grand is fantasy. .

Even somewhere 40 mins from Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Not a single 3 bed to rent on MyHome in Co. Dublin for under the budget. Well, there's one but it says not for kids and only suitable for a single person (which seems odd for a 3 bed!)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

fergalfrog wrote: »
    Even somewhere 40 mins from Dublin?

40 minutes to Connolly is still Dublin :pac:

40 minutes to Heuston will be in very high demand and it'll be nice and rural feeling but, wait for it, 40 minutes to Heuston :P

Sorry to be flippant I'm just trying to keep it light.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.
    I would like however to steer the conversation away from being just about rent. This is obviously a huge factor but not necessarily the most important here.

So think of it more as if you could live anywhere that was in 30 to 60 minute radius of Dublin City Centre where would this be?

For example Drogheda is within this range but I have no idea what it is like.

Others include Kildare, Newbridge, Greystones, Bray, Maynooth, Enfield, Athy.
    Would Laytown be a better place to live than Portarlington?
    Would Monasterevin be better than Kilcock?

So assuming rents were similar in all of these places (very hypothetical I know) where would you prefer to live?

Thanks again,
    Fergal

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

Trains:
    OK - so allowing for an 8 minute walk to/from Connolly or Tara St (depending upon which direction you're coming from), the following would all allow a 40 minute commute:

DART/Northern Line: Anywhere from Rush/Howth inwards
    DART/Southeastern Line: Anywhere from Dalkey inwards
    Western Line: Anywhere from Coolmine inwards

LUAS:
    Red Line: Anywhere from Belgard inwards
    Green Line: Anywhere from Sandyford inwards (allowing 15 minute walk from SSG)

Dublin Bus (Excluding Xpresso services):
    Allowing for maybe 10 minutes walking, anywhere within a ring bounded by:
    Raheny, Coolock, Santry, Ballymun, Finglas, Ashtown, Chapelizod, Palmerstown (25a/25b & Xpresso only), Ballyfermot, Crumlin, Terenure, Clonskeagh, UCD and Booterstown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thanks for the replies.
    I would like however to steer the conversation away from being just about rent. This is obviously a huge factor but not necessarily the most important here.

So think of it more as if you could live anywhere that was in 30 to 60 minute radius of Dublin City Centre where would this be?

For example Drogheda is within this range but I have no idea what it is like.

Others include Kildare, Newbridge, Greystones, Bray, Maynooth, Enfield, Athy.
    Would Laytown be a better place to live than Portarlington?
    Would Monasterevin be better than Kilcock?

So assuming rents were similar in all of these places (very hypothetical I know) where would you prefer to live?

Thanks again,
    Fergal

You won't get Maynooth for your budget and your wants. Enfield maybe. Kilcock is above your budget on all rentals showing up there now.

I've lived in Maynooth. Pros: busy, active town with plenty of facilities and is the start of the commuter train line so you usually get a seat. Well serviced by two bus routes. Cons: traffic is horrific. Student town with college. Some estates you would not live in (eg old greenfield).

Kilcock; closer to your budget. It's where I hope to buy. Pros: close to Maynooth for big facilities and has small ones, two supermarkets, small town country feel, good community. Decent schools. Cons: on the intercity rail so train is expensive. No Dublin bus. Small town feel

@magicmoves - great work, I think this can be expanded out further though on intercity lines but this is very helpful.

@mirrorwall14 - this is exactly what I after in terms of your pros and cons and reviews of these towns. I am looking to select 3 candidate towns and then get my friend to stay a few nights in at least one. The best of the three will be where he lives for the next 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

I lived out in drogheda for 10 years commuting to dublin daily it was a great town to buy my first house in and have very fond memories of my time there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Some things to note:
    - preferably it should be on a train line that is about 40 minutes or less from Connolly or Heuston
    - rent should be no more than €1,000 a month - for a 3 bed house with a modest garden (think 2 adults and 2 children)
    Keep in mind that what you'll save on rent, you'll spend in transportation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Give Balbriggan a look too,

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Give Balbriggan a look too,

Cheapest is 1250
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-rent/balbriggan/moylaragh-avenue-balbriggan-dublin-1643351/
    or
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-rent/balbriggan/barrens-hall-grove-balbriggan-dublin-1642634/

1000 doesnt even get you a studio in the Dublin suburbs anymore, never mind a house in the greater Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

You'll have to reassess your budget. It's not realistic.

Try somewhere like Ongar or Dunboyne. There is a train line out that way...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Wicklow Town

Thanks - yes the budget will need to be reassessed so I would like to leave that out of it for now.

So think if you could live anywhere that was in 30 to 60 minute radius of Dublin City Centre and rents were equal everywhere, where would you live?

Thanks to all the replies so far. We have at least two or three places to look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Some of the 'cheaper' places unfortunately don't have a huge amount to rent as investors don't generally buy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Thanks - yes the budget will need to be reassessed so I would like to leave that out of it for now.

So think if you could live anywhere that was in 30 to 60 minute radius of Dublin City Centre and rents were equal everywhere, where would you live?

Thanks to all the replies so far. We have at least two or three places to look at.

Skerries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

If rents were all the same I'd pick Ranelagh. 20 minute walk into town, less than 10 on the Luas, lots of cafes and restaurants, lots of shops, Dundrum is 10 minutes on the Luas, etc etc. Leafy, well kept, village feel to it but in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Clontarf, Malahide, Howth, Skerries, Donabate on the North Side or Dalkey and Greystones on the South Side.

Problem is, most every other family in Dublin want to live in those areas too so they're very expensive to rent in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Maynooth is an awesome place to live,near town Clontarf is gorgeous.

Advertisement