Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what phone next after note 4?

• 06-05-2016 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I'd love some advice please, as my head is getting melted trying to figure out what to upgrade to.

I have a note4, and am at upgrade time. I could wait to upgrade to the note 6, but this would mean a slight waste of waiting an extra 6 months, and not knowing the cost, could also be a waste of time!

I'm on red essentials with vodafone, so most expensive upgrades. I'm looking for a reasonable screen size, but 5" is fine as happy to slightly decrease size. Needs a good camera as phone always with me, and preferably a quick processor as I hate having to wait!
    The huawei p9 is €200, but seems like it doesn't get great upgrades and resale value probably not great?
    S7 is ideal, but costs a whopping €350! although will resale well I hope!
    HTC 10 isn't available on vodafone :-(
    Xperia 5 premium costs same as the S7, so i'd get the s7 instead

Any other suggestions? do I just bite the bullet and pay a premium for S7 or go with the Huawei p9 and forget about reselling?

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'd pay the premium and get the S7 as it has everything you want in a phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Note 6 in a few months time should be worth the wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I went to an S6 Edge+ myself from my Note 4... extra GB RAM, same screen size (which you get very used to), but the physical chassis isn't as wide so it's easier to hold. Downsides (apparently) are no SD card (doesn't bother me as I have most stuff in the cloud) and the battery life is no better (although some say it's worse)

I also have an S7 Edge and rate the older model above it TBH - mostly because of the reduced screen size and the very little difference between them otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

Thanks for the replies. So no one is suggesting the Huawei? Is there something i'm missing as appears great camera, same ram, battery life ok, and on marshmallow.

s6edge wtih 64gb is €400, so still in the 'am I mad to pay this for a phone' money (32gb feels too little for me and how I use the phone). Also, the s7 edge is just €50 more, so would get that - but again, finding it really hard to think its worth spending that much on a phone. And yes, I can justify by saying its just a €1 a day for something I use everyday, but would a phone half the price be more 'value'. I'm thinking that the note 6 will be mad money too, judging by the s7 prices.

i could go down to the s5 eithier. Hubbie has one, and looks fine. He's very happy with it, and it only costs €50? but it'll be another 18 months till another possible upgrade!

_kaiser_ - the s7 is suppose to be a better camera than the s6? for your standard snap-shots, am I going to notice much of a difference between them and say even the s5? I have a decent camera for 'proper' photos. And I had heard it might be hard to reduce size of handset, although the inability to sit down with the note in my back-pocket is finally starting to annoy me a little. (btw, really appreciate your views from going from the note 4)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

This was what I was afraid of in the back of my head. And after using samsung for last few years, i'm sensing i'd regret it. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

I went from a Note 4 to a OnePlus 2. It's a grand phone but I'll be going back to the Note when the 6 is released.

I offset the cost of handsets but just selling the phone I am currently using. For example, I sold my Note 3 for €300 and paid €200 for my Note 4 which I then some on for €350 to cover the cost of the OP2. You'll still get €300 for a Note 4 easily.

I can sell my note 4 easily to cex for €250, avoiding any hassle with meeting buyers, etc, so am offsetting the price - thereby justifying in my head its only an extra €100 for the s7 - but its still €350, where-as if I get the s5 for example, I get €200 back into my pocket.

What was good with paying the premium for the note 4 though, was that it actually ended up not costing anything as i'm getting back what I paid for it on contract. But the note 4 was €230, which at the time I still thought was a lot of money for a phone - €350 still feels insane for a phone in my head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

alowe wrote: »
    I can sell my note 4 easily to cex for €250, avoiding any hassle with meeting buyers, etc, so am offsetting the price - thereby justifying in my head its only an extra €100 for the s7 - but its still €350, where-as if I get the s5 for example, I get €200 back into my pocket.

What was good with paying the premium for the note 4 though, was that it actually ended up not costing anything as i'm getting back what I paid for it on contract. But the note 4 was €230, which at the time I still thought was a lot of money for a phone - €350 still feels insane for a phone in my head.

The s5 isn't going to last you another 2 years, not if you want to keep your sanity. My oh has had one since launch and it's on its last legs now, very slow and shocking battery performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The s5 isn't going to last you another 2 years, not if you want to keep your sanity. My oh has had one since launch and it's on its last legs now, very slow and shocking battery performance.

A new battery and a reset would probably sort that. We have a load of S5s in work that are still working grand :)

Advertisement