Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing rights

Options
  • 06-05-2016 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

This is probably a stupid question but does anyone know about fishing rights on your own land? I own a bit of land next to a river and I was told I can fish off of it without a permit or licence, is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Scraiclad wrote: »
    This is probably a stupid question but does anyone know about fishing rights on your own land? I own a bit of land next to a river and I was told I can fish off of it without a permit or licence, is this true?

Check the deeds of your land, it should say in the deeds if you own the rights to the river and see then. It's a grey enough area, even if you own it, it doesn't mean you have the power to stop anyone else fishing though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Scraiclad wrote: »

If your title deeds include fishing rights, then you own the fishing rights on that bit of river. If they don't either someone else does, or no one knows who does, and it is considered in limbo. If someone else owns the rights, then you don't actually have a right to fish there, but in practice most fishery owners allow landowners to fish to maintain a good working relationship, but this would need to be discussed first before fishing without a permit. If you're fishing for salmon or sea trout, you must have a licence regardless of fishing rights ownership.

If your land ever went through the Land Commission, then the fishing rights were likely stripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

There has to be an easier way of getting fishing rights on a register? Under the freedom of information would some public organisation have to provide them? Have an idea for something but trying to get fishing rights on rivers is very difficult

• Advertisement
Advertisement