Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing chairs

Options
  • 06-05-2016 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

As I am entirely clueless about all of this, can the more experienced of ye tell me is it worth buying a nursing chair or are they a waste of money?

I have a bad back as a result of a car crash years ago, so I know that I will need back and arm support when breast feeding (if I manage to feed!) or bottle feeding.

All advice gratefully received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Mine is a handy spot for leaving nappies and wipes for nighttime changes! Never used it for feeding as either fed baby on couch or in bed if at night. Maybe if it was in the sitting room I would have used it more! Having good pillows and cushions for support are well you need imo. No need for a breastfeeding cushion either!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I have a nursing chair in both of my kids rooms but moreso I think of them as rocking and relaxing chairs. They are still used but obviously not for nursing!!!

They were great for feeding and, later on, bedtime stories and pre-bedtime chats. I found them very relaxing and I think the boys did too (and still do to an extent).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Like Call me Al we still get a lot of use out of our nursing chair. Used it for feeding(breast and bottle), good for middle of the night cuddles and also great for stories as part of bedtime routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

I am expecting twins so I worry about the logistics of feeding them both in bed. Mind you, I worry about the logistics of feeding them both, full stop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I used the chair when my spd got bad and the couch wasn't comfortable when pregnant. Used it in sitting room for few months feeding as your back would be wrecked. And now 16 months later we read stories and cuddle before bed. For €140 I wouldn't be without it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I bought one in IKEA for my daughter and she is 20 months old now and we've gotten so much use out of it. It was used for feeding her, especially the dream feeds, I sit on it when giving her the last bottle of the day and her bedtime cuddles with books and stories.
    It cost very little and I bought another one the exact same for the baby I'm expecting in a few weeks. I think they're a really important buy, you don't have to spend a lot on them at all to have one that is comfortable for you and fits your space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

I would definitely recommend having a high backed chair with arm rests next to the baby's cot in their bedroom. My daughter was bottle fed from 3 weeks to 1 year and we used it every night from 4mo on (that's when she moved into her own room/the cot) to give her the bedtime bottle. Once bottles stopped at 12mo we still used it for cuddles and songs, I still use it to give her cuddles and sing songs if she's having trouble sleeping. It will save your back honestly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

I got a nursing chair as a gift with my first and I think everyone else sat in it more than me. A midwife recommended a breast feeding pillow called My Brest Friend which you can order from Medicare. It's a firm pillow that you strap onto you and it was a lifesaver for me. It takes the weight off your back and if baby falls asleep, you must let them lie on that rather than holding them. I preferred using the pillow sitting on the sofa than feeding on the nursing chair. Also it's portable so you bring it anywhere.

Edit: I just looked the pillows up and they have a twin version too. Sorry can't link :)

Advertisement