Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Studies Day Practical Exam

Options
  • 06-05-2016 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys, doing my day practical next week. <snip>

Mod note: NO posting of the actual paper, posting information about the paper etc. It's a state exam.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

People can't post pictures it's a leaving cert exam

Tips
    Take time to read drawing properly first.
    Lay out the timbers in position and label everything. Label your drawing to match
    Mark everything out
    Check does everything line up once marked out.
    Begin cutting
    If you make a mistake when cutting half a joint continue to cut the other properly.
    Don't force pieces together as you will break them.
    Assembly at the end isn't the most important part

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Niceguy22

Cheers. You're a construction teacher? Time wise, can one get it done at a steady pace or is there a need to carry it out with speed do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Yes i'm a Construction teacher. My class have yet to do the exam so I have no specific information on this years exam, and I have not spoken to any teacher or student from other schools.

In terms of pace you need to put yourself under pressure without rushing it. I certainly wouldn't be taking it handy.

Just make sure all the marking out is done fully, and everything lines up that is the key to the time issue I believe. Doing it right from the start saves you time fixing things or trying ot fix things afterwards. Don't worry if someone starts cutting before you are finished marking out, there is nothing to day they are doing it right. Just work at your own pace.
    Usually the good lads in the class get done with 15 mins to spare or so, the majority get it done just in time, there is usually only one or two that don't get it finished.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

NO posting of the actual paper, posting information about the paper etc. Same goes for requesting such information. It's a state exam.

Mod

Advertisement