Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

need advice about a dog please

• 06-05-2016 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

I need some advice from anyone who had a dog, please. this question is better served by Irish people as the law will differs elsewhere.

My polish neighbours had a small terrier. Every time the dog see's me, she viciously barks at me. Every single time.

Just now that damn dog just bit its owner's two kids and enough to make their kids 7 and 4 bleed. Their parents don't seem to matter about it or care.

I asked people on boards before about the incessant barking of that dog and I was ripped to peaces for apparently not being a dog lover. I like dogs but this little bastard is dangerous and their parent doesn't seem to care.

what should I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

the dog bit the kids?
    through the skin?
    how did you see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

tonyheaney wrote: »
    .... I like dogs but this little bastard...

I wont lie Tony, that bit made me laugh. :D

Its a serious matter of course, whether you're a dog lover or not.

In short I dont know what you should do, but what you can do is ring the local garda barracks and explain that you think there are children at risk.

You could also try the local council and the dog warden. You are likely to get a bit more traction if take the angle of kids being at risk and evidence of viciousness.

Muppet Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Tigger wrote: »
    the dog bit the kids?
    through the skin?
    how did you see

I was standing in my garden telling to my kids NOT to go near the fence and next think i know their little boy was bit and crying then his sister showed me blood on her arm due to the do biting her previously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

And what was the little boy doing that forced the dog's hand?
    He didn't just bite because he felt like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

ShaShaBear wrote: »

How do you know that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

h2005 wrote: »
    How do you know that?

There are warning signs before a dog bites , growling, trying to move again , lack of eye contact..showing signs of fear / pain etc a bite is the last thing a dog does.

95% dogs are pushed into biting.. By other people's / kids actions .

There is usually always reason for a dog bite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Feed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

cocker5 wrote: »
    There are warning signs before a dog bites , growling, trying to move again , lack of eye contact..showing signs of fear / pain etc a bite is the last thing a dog does.

I've owned dogs all my life I'd like to know how this person knows the kid provoked the dog. Making up a percentage doesn't make something a fact.

That dog has been in their home since a puppy, It grew up with the entire family children and all and the cat and the kitten it ate. Yep not kidding te mother told me there want not much left. That should have been a sign.

Dog was aggressively barking at me and growling while i was playing with my won kids in MY back garden. 40 minutes and not one second of stopping barking.

The boy put his hand on dogs head and went shhhh
    dog sank his teeth into boy, sister pulled boy away from dog she got bit on forearm.

1. why does the bark at me and my wife? a full 40 mins without stopping??? we rarely see the dog.

2. why, when the kid placed his hand on the dog's head did the dog bit child it grow up with? and his sister? dog is approx 1 to 2 years old.

• Advertisement

Feed it!

Dog seems well fed, i tried to become friends with the dog, show it i was not a threat and offer it some ham it just ran away from me and hid

h2005 wrote: »
    I've owned dogs all my life I'd like to know how this person knows the kid provoked the dog. Making up a percentage doesn't make something a fact.

i have had 20 dogs over my life time, so i know them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Dog was aggressively barking at me and growling while i was playing with my won kids in MY back garden. 40 minutes and not one second of stopping barking.

dog sank his teeth into boy, sister pulled boy away from dog she got bit on forearm.

It's not the dog you should be worried about, but the parents.

Yes, the dog is out of control and somewhat over-excitable ...but that can and should be managed.
    But when the people in charge don't care and leave it to their kids to take control, that's when accidents happen.

BTW ..dogs don't differentiate between their and your back garden ...as long as they can see it it's "theirs" to bark at :D

That dog has been in their home since a puppy, It grew up with the entire family children and all and the cat and the kitten it ate. Yep not kidding te mother told me there want not much left. That should have been a sign.

But you said you were in your garden .. Telling ur kids not to go near the fence.. So how could u even see what happened? You've no idea you weren't actually there. Can you see through the fence?

The dog is out of control - yes but the parents (the owners) are at fault here.

At the end of the day it's up to the owners to do something about it.

With regard to the barking you can report them to the dog warden and make a complaint.

You cannot complain about the biting as you weren't there and unless you've X-ray vision you've no idea what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

Well, in this case I have to say it was the boys fault or better so say the parents. The dog is probably not neutered and was very agitated as he wanted to protect his territory. As he was barking and growling for this long time already, he went in a specific state of mind. Who ever would have touched him would have been bitten. In this state of mind it more a reflex than being vicious. The problem is that the owners even let him enter this state, this should not happen especially not for such a long time. I guess the dog is the dominant one at home and is never corrected. The problem is not the dog, it's people who get dogs , have no clue how to train them or they needs, then something like this happens and the dog is being put to sleep.
    I have neighbours like this as well. They keep a one year old Labrador inside the house all day and night without walks and they are wondering why he is going crazy, one day he will turn vicious as well.
    You can do and report it or try maybe to suggest a good dog trainer for them, on the other hand I talked a thousand times with my neighbours and they just don't give a ****.
    I know it might sound weird for you but it wasn't the dogs fault, that's they way they are. If I would let my lazy quiet a little bit overweight old Labrador collie cross enter this specific state of mind and I would touch her she would snap at me as well , even if I don't think she ever would be bothered enough to go there. My Terrier cross on the other hand is easier to wind up but I know my dogs, all signs of stress and they know that I am the boss so I never ever let them get there, they 'll be corrected directly.

But you said you were in your garden .. Telling ur kids not to go near the fence.. So how could u even see what happened? You've no idea you weren't actually there. Can you see through the fence?

With regard to the barking you can report them to the dog warden and make a complaint.

You cannot complain about the biting as you weren't there and unless you've X-ray vision you've no idea what happened.

We have a common mesh criss-cross fence see pic: 2015_08_09_15_14_29_Copy.jpg

This is a polish family who are into death metal and play loud music till 3 am and smoke the weight of a small family of humpback wales in cigarettes lol

At the end of my day if they don't deal with ill will to be honest.

I must first write them a letter and wait until they decide to reply, to which the may need a translator

My wife just reminded me of an incident in Feb this year I had pretty much forgotten it with everything that's being going on. We came home and found the dog sitting on our porch, the dog wasn't "than" aggressive as it is now. The houses we live in are semi-detached mirrors of each other so perhaps the dog got out and was confused as to what house was hers.

I went to her all nice like clicking and going "here girl, its ok girl" and she Bit me. wasn't to bad pulled my hand back before I got it bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

My wife just reminded me of an incident in Feb this year I had pretty much forgotten it with everything that's being going on. We came home and found the dog sitting on our porch, the dog wasn't "than" aggressive as it is now. The houses we live in are semi-detached mirrors of each other so perhaps the dog got out and was confused as to what house was hers.

I went to her all nice like clicking and going "here girl, its ok girl" and she Bit me. wasn't to bad pulled my hand back before I got it bad.

Couldnt have been bad at all. I dont know many people who forget they were recently bitten by a dog...
    Im not sure what you are trying to get people to tell you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

"This is a polish family who are into death metal and play loud music till 3 am and smoke the weight of a small family of humpback wales in cigarettes lol "

"I must first write them a letter and wait until they decide to reply, to which the may need a translator"

What has listening to death metal to do with that or being polish? Or smoking ?
    And even if they would need a translator, I highly doubt that though as most polish people have good English, does that matter to you?
    This sounds more as you don't like them and want to get back at them.

As well as this "forgotten" dog bite. If you could forget it so easily I could not have been bad at all. If it happened why didn't you notice the warning signs, all dogs show them. No dog just bites for the fun .

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MrMaki

I must first write them a letter and wait until they decide to reply, to which the may need a translator
    Don't worry OP - if you write in proper English, they should understand you.
    I'm Polish and I got almost everything, well except for what is in bold :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Call the dog warden about the dog.

Call social services if you genuinely think the neighbours kids are in danger

Put up a better fence.

Lastly the snarky remarks about Polish people aren't doing you any favours...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Tonyheaney, your last thread derailed in part because of your veiled, and sometimes not-so-veiled, remarks about the nationality of the dog's owner, which has nothing to do with the concerns you're posting about.
    Do not bring anyone's nationality into this unless it has some reasonable bearing on how to proceed.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Couldnt have been bad at all. I dont know many people who forget they were recently bitten by a dog...
    Im not sure what you are trying to get people to tell you?

couple of deaths will do it oh and a busy life tends to make you forget stuff mate, suffice to say it went to the back of the mind and forgotten as life is busy

DBB wrote: »
    Tonyheaney, your last thread derailed in part because of your veiled, and sometimes not-so-veiled, remarks about the nationality of the dog's owner, which has nothing to do with the concerns you're posting about.
    Do not bring anyone's nationality into this unless it has some reasonable bearing on how to proceed.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Not necessarily Mod, different cultures have different ways of treating animals. What you might find as gross negligence could be fair treatment for another, Take dogs for example beloved intelligent pets to you and I yet several miles away from my wife's hometown they are a delicacy with hot broth and soft rice bread. So while i would have p[ut that dog in its place as i am Irish the polish may in fact hacve a different standard of "Put in place"

My point is valid and i have my answer you may delete if you see fit.

MrMaki wrote: »
    Don't worry OP - if you write in proper English, they should understand you.
    I'm Polish and I got almost everything, well except for what is in bold :D

wonder what response I'd get if I said them bloody Irish ones next door lol :D:D:D

Off topic i suffer dyslexia and while its in a mild form it is present so sorry for misspellings

Siipina wrote: »
    "This is a polish family who are into death metal and play loud music till 3 am and smoke the weight of a small family of humpback wales in cigarettes lol "

"I must first write them a letter and wait until they decide to reply, to which the may need a translator"

What has listening to death metal to do with that or being polish? Or smoking ?
    And even if they would need a translator, I highly doubt that though as most polish people have good English, does that matter to you?
    This sounds more as you don't like them and want to get back at them.

As well as this "forgotten" dog bite. If you could forget it so easily I could not have been bad at all. If it happened why didn't you notice the warning signs, all dogs show them. No dog just bites for the fun .

while the children were out in he back getting bit their parents were out front smoking, who lets a 6-year-old mind a 4-year-old for hours?? Irish, polish or Chinese? my aunt and uncle died recently so that was a hard time for me and the dog was puish back to the back of my mind

but back on track and before this thread is deleted.

child 1 and 2 bit by dog,
    dog aggressively barks at us in our garden until we are out of site,

regardless of race or religion or hat size where do i find a dog warden? I have an image of the dog warden from tom and Jerry i didn't think the do that in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Dog seems well fed, i tried to become friends with the dog, show it i was not a threat and offer it some ham it just ran away from me and hid

That's not exactly what I meant!!!

• Advertisement

There's more going on here the poster seems to have major issue with the owners and their nationality... All very dramatic .. There's way more to the story I suspect not just the dog issue.

There's more going on here the poster seems to have major issue with the owners and their nationality... All very dramatic .. There's way more to the story I suspect not just the dog issue.

nope my brother in law is polish i am married to a Chinese and i became a god father to 5 different children to two multinational families recently so ... No

As I said op, were the nationality of your neighbour salient, fair enough. But it's not.
    I asked you not to reply to my post, as a reminder of site-wide rules. Unfortunately you chose to ignore this and I have had to issue a warning.

To all, this thread must now get back on track. One mention of anyone's nationality, or any other off-topic posting, and this thread will be closed.

Do not reply to this post on-thread... If anyone wishes to discuss this or other mod warning, please do so by pm.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Not necessarily Mod, different cultures have different ways of treating animals. What you might find as gross negligence could be fair treatment for another, Take dogs for example beloved intelligent pets to you and I yet several miles away from my wife's hometown they are a delicacy with hot broth and soft rice bread. So while i would have p[ut that dog in its place as i am Irish the polish may in fact hacve a different standard of "Put in place"

My point is valid and i have my answer you may delete if you see fit.

Closed at op's request

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement