Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nvidia Launch

• 07-05-2016 2:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

They're doing a live stream of their presentation here:
    https://www.twitch.tv/nvidia

So far they've described some cool new stuff, including:
    - Ansel, which allows you to capture full 360 images from inside a game engine and then share these to be viewed in VR.
    - Positional sound for VR that is processed in real time based on physics simulations.
    - Haptic feedback for VR controllers based on the physics of the object you're interacting with.

Still on-going, and it looks like the big announcement of the Pascal cards is going to be at the end.

EDIT: Literally just started talking about the GTX 1080 as I posted this.

EDIT: Holy shit, he just said that the GTX 1080 is faster than 980 SLI, and even faster than the Titan X. Claims not even just by a little bit, either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

as nice as the 1080 sounds I might as well ignore it. Something like that won't be cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you know they will release an NVidia killer at the the 970/980 range for cheaper though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Won't be cheap, but not mind-blowingly expensive either:
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/05/nvidia-pascal-gtx-1080-details-watch-livestream/
    Ultimately, it'll come down to price. Nvidia isn't known for thrifty pricing, and all signs point to the GTX 1080 and 1070 being priced similarly to their predecessors at £429 ($549) and £259 ($329) respectively.

There is going to be a whole family of Pascal cards, the 1080 is just the flagship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

27th May for 1080! Im going to buy one, I might even buy two.

I've been using the same 2 GTX580 in SLI since 2011 and I have 3 1440p Dells, I have been holding out for something which can run 7680x1440 for years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Looking very, very good I have to admit.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/06/nvidias-new-gtx-1080-gpu-is-even-faster-than-the-titan-x/

67C pffft.

Very good point about Mars though!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭DublinBust

With all the driver woes I'm having with my 380X, might have to jump back to the green team when the third party 1070's come out... not happy about it but too many AAA games crash far too frequently on AMD's drivers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

1070 will be mine, seems good value

27th May for 1080! Im going to buy one

I really think I might, too. I wonder if they can be preordered?

Not a fan of those 'blower' configurations at all, though I do like the shroud design this time. Will be going for a Gigabyte Windforce version myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

That price is a lot better than I expected. Want to make a VR build eventually so good to see it.

• Advertisement

I have to say this is way beyond expectations. I think AMD are going to be hard pressed to beat this in a meaningful way. I think we'll see excellent low power solutions from them probably with better performance per watt but better than the 1080 - assuming it lives up to the hype - not this year for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

So anyone interested in my 980ti ;)

Nedved85 wrote: »
    So anyone interested in my 980ti ;)

20 quid and three hubcaps for a '92 Ford Fiesta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Adverts is gonna have a field day :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I just really hope it will hit second hand card market properly hard. Its stoll mind blowing to see people selling 970 on adverts just a tiny bit lower then you cam get brand new one.

The 1070 looks like perfect solution for me. I won't be going high end anymore, I got it out of my system when I bought 680 when it was just launched.
    On the other hand 680 was always great for me and even to this day more then enough at 1080p. Looks like I finally will go for upgrade this gen after seeing amd offering.

I just wonder if I cam stoll get away with my good old trusty 2500k. It has only pcie 2.0 though. I know I won't get full power of 1070, but it still should be miles netter then 680 and could finally upgrade for 21:9 wide-screen monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

20 quid and three hubcaps for a '92 Ford Fiesta.

Thought I'd get more than that :(

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Any mention of Pascal laptop GPUs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

Will be going for a 4k screen and a 1080 if the real life benchmarks live up to the high expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'm toward the end of saving up for a high end build, and I'll either pick one of these bad boys up or shell out for two 980TIs at the reduced prices that they will hopefully be going for after these roll out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

superg wrote: »
    Will be going for a 4k screen and a 1080 if the real life benchmarks live up to the high expectations.

3440*1440 UWS for me, but like yourself, all depends on actual reviews. Lots of salt to be had with Nvidia's claims last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is there any game right now would put a 1070 under any kind of pressure? If it's better than a Titan x, why would you even consider the 1080?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

4K I suppose.

Is there any game right now would put a 1070 under any kind of pressure? If it's better than a Titan x, why would you even consider the 1080?

VR future proofing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

Until we see real world performance nobody knows what they are truly capable of but from my own point of view, I'm building a new rig this year and I want it to run 4k with eye candy on if its possible. If a 1070 does the job that'll do me. Remains to be seen though.

Because it's nVidia claiming it's better than a Titan X ;) We'll need to wait for real benches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Intel releasing new chips sets also?

Might hold off until all next gen sets are out. And build a new rig from start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Ive got 2600K i7 and P8P67Pro Rev 3B mobo, which I think only has PCIe2.0. Would there be an immediate need to upgrade the mobo and cpu to really see the benefit? That would mean new RAM probably, I have 16GB already but no doubt it wont be good enough or something annoying. Maybe will just have to buy new everything, which is a bit wasteful considering I would end up with 3 gaming PCs, I never sell the bits, so just keep them and move them from gaming room to living room, now they can be relegated another stage and one can go in the bedroom. Seems a huge waste for just watching movies though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

People worrying about PCI-E lanes, don't worry. PCI-E 2.0 can run SLI 980ti (at 8x-8x which is 1/4 the bandwidth of 16x pci-e 3.0) without a bottleneck then you will be fine this time around too.

I really hope Nvidia did not just screw AMD. I have much love for AMD but it looks like I am getting a 1080 this summer so far.

Going to wait for AMD before taking the plunge. Really don't want to support Nvidia and their antics, destroying PC gaming reputation after their driver shenanigans

• Advertisement

Going to wait for AMD before taking the plunge. Really don't want to support Nvidia and their antics, destroying PC gaming reputation after their driver shenanigans

What's this about?

Zillah wrote: »
    What's this about?

Batman was not at all helped by Nvidia no?
    I could be talking out of my arse here but haven't Nvidia exclusivity deals caused huge AMD issues at launch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

VR. It's one thing being able to run VR, I think it's going to be another thing altogether when we try running AAA titles through VR maxed out graphically. There may also be some overhead to this 3d audio? Plus there's probably going to be a 2nd generation of really high definition headsets coming soon enough which may well bring these new cards to their knees pretty quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

ScumLord wrote: »
    Plus there's probably going to be a 2nd generation of really high definition headsets coming soon enough which may well bring these new cards to their knees pretty quickly.
    Has there been whispers about when this could happen, most likely 2 years away is it not at least?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

That's why I recently went with a 380X after insisting on nVidia for nigh-on ten years. It's been a bumpy ride with drivers though. No card killing ones so far thankfully but lots of crashes etc. in AAA games...

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »

What's this about?

nVidia have been extremely anti-competitive for years, locking away tech and nerfing performance with AMD cards on titles that they could sneak their middleware into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Batman was not at all helped by Nvidia no?
    I could be talking out of my arse here but haven't Nvidia exclusivity deals caused huge AMD issues at launch?

Batman on PC was just a raging pile of sh*t period. Nvidia GameWorks has not affected me in any way as an AMD user and said games run perfectly for me because I don't turn on options my hardware can't support.

Venom wrote: »
    Batman on PC was just a raging pile of sh*t period. Nvidia GameWorks has not affected me in any way as an AMD user and said games run perfectly for me because I don't turn on options my hardware can't support.

It was but it was made a lot worse because of them, from many reports.
    You also have just stated that you're limited to what you can do, based on proprietary software

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

1080 seems really cheap for what it does, I bet recent Titan X owners must be in a really dark place right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Vicxas wrote: »
    1080 seems really cheap for what it does, I bet recent Titan X owners must be in a really dark place right now.

2 things!
    -Its newer? technology is always improving so anyone who buys "the latest and greatest" can't possibly expect it to be as such for ever. If by recent you mean < 6 months obviously, otherwise, well, this card didn't come out of the blue.
    -This is nvidia's word so far, wait till we get plenty of unbias benchmarks/reviews before really calling it out.

I am currently sporting a 780ti, wondering if this will be a good upgrade. I use a 1440p and while the 780ti does a nice job, on some games it does struggle and I can only imagine that will get worse.

As for drivers/dirty tactics between AMD and nvidia, they are as bad as each other in that regard. I personally would have no brand loyalty and would just simply go for whatever is the best currently available when looking.

• Advertisement

I just realised that there is no way in hell Apple will be supporting the 1080 any time soon - if ever - so I guess that's the end of my hackintosh.

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    As for drivers/dirty tactics between AMD and nvidia, they are as bad as each other in that regard. I personally would have no brand loyalty and would just simply go for whatever is the best currently available when looking.

Not true. AMD offer pretty much nothing but open software and tech.

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/open-source/

Freesync is an open tech that Nvidia have refused to add support for and not to mention Vulkan and Mantle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Not true. AMD offer pretty much nothing but open software and tech.

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/open-source/

Freesync is an open tech that Nvidia have refused to add support for and not to mention Vulkan and Mantle.
    oh I know....
    and nividia have had that "gameworks" bull

but, and I can't speak for the past 2 generations, but AMD had SHOCKING driver support was always as pain to use. I was sick of them because of it.
    My point is both of them are annoying in this regard. So never have a bias to one or the other and instead go for whatever one is getting the best reviews.

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    Vicxas wrote: »

2 things!
    -Its newer? technology is always improving so anyone who buys "the latest and greatest" can't possibly expect it to be as such for ever. If by recent you mean < 6 months obviously, otherwise, well, this card didn't come out of the blue.
    -This is nvidia's word so far, wait till we get plenty of unbias benchmarks/reviews before really calling it out.

I am currently sporting a 780ti, wondering if this will be a good upgrade. I use a 1440p and while the 780ti does a nice job, on some games it does struggle and I can only imagine that will get worse.

Incorrect, AMD doesn't partake in dirty tactics from my experience. Yes, their drivers are still not great (as someone who's just jumped to the red team).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

That's why I could never go AMD. Good driver support is everything. No point having better tech if you can barely use it.

I'd like to see AMD get better with the driver support but I understand NVIDIA deals tend to hinder AMD's ability to get drivers out there sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

AMD's driver support has gotten a lot better in recent months, since they created a dedicated branch of the company (Radeon Technologies Group) to look after their drivers. The new Crimson driver is pretty good to be honest, much better than Catalyst, I've noticed a pretty good improvement in performance over the last few months. Best example (albeit extreme) being in Elite Dangerous, on Catalyst I was getting as low as 20 fps in supercruise, but since the update it's been solid at 60 fps, but that was a specific issue they had targeted to fix! But across the board I've seen a decent improvement, especially on newer games like Elite, Witcher 3 and so on.

AMD driver support has been up to par for a few years now and have been really good for the past year with their new crimson drivers.

If it was a toss up between a 1080 and whatever AMD's new flagship will be then I would go AMD 100%. But I don't know if that will be the case or if AMD will even have a launch date close to the 1080's (Very much doubtful at this stage). I just built a new z170 machine and am looking forward to putting the latest gpu in there and getting rid of the 7970 xfire setup I have been using for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

AMD drivers are grand once you dont update them every month :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Personal experience tells me that games with the nVidia logo at the start tend to behave better than games with the AMD logo at the start, especially when I was running AMD cards in Crossfire. Since getting a 970, I have had non of the issues that my AMD cards gave me. I'd be hard pressed to ever consider going back to AMD software, it's fking pants in comparison to nVidia's. AND I DO NOT WANT THAT FKING RAPTR THING INSTALLED EVERY FKING TIME AMD! :P :D

That's why I could never go AMD. Good driver support is everything. No point having better tech if you can barely use it.

I'd like to see AMD get better with the driver support but I understand NVIDIA deals tend to hinder AMD's ability to get drivers out there sooner.

nVidia drivers killed a lot of cards last month.

• Advertisement
Advertisement