Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nvidia Launch

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭DublinBust

That's why I could never go AMD. Good driver support is everything. No point having better tech if you can barely use it.

I'd like to see AMD get better with the driver support but I understand NVIDIA deals tend to hinder AMD's ability to get drivers out there sooner.

nVidia drivers killed a lot of cards last month.

That's why I could never go AMD. Good driver support is everything. No point having better tech if you can barely use it.

I'd like to see AMD get better with the driver support but I understand NVIDIA deals tend to hinder AMD's ability to get drivers out there sooner.

boards is doing a great job with the new forum rollout. Mods, clean-up, aisle 4!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

DublinBust wrote: »
    Killed drivers???? Don't think so bud, the drivers were ****ty on 2 occasions forcing people to roll back including myself but I don't think it killed any, don't believe the drama queens on reddit

cadete wrote: »
    Killed drivers???? Don't think so bud, the drivers were ****ty on 2 occasions forcing people to roll back including myself but I don't think it killed any, don't believe the drama queens on reddit

...sigh...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1597040/various-latest-nvidia-driver-is-apparently-killing-gpus

http://wccftech.com/nvidias-latest-game-ready-driver-allegedly-killing-gpus-plagued-issues/

Apparently and allegedly counts as lots of cards now??? ....sigh..... You should maybe read up the links you just posted

Apparently and allegedly counts as lots of cards now??? ....sigh..... You should maybe read up the links you just posted

A quick google actually shows this has happened on three separate occasions, 3 times apart; 2016; 2013; 2010. If people say it, I assume they're not lying and demand they send the cards to my house for testing... I just assume they'd have something else to do with their time than lie.

But if you don't want to believe it, go right ahead, I've got more important things to do than try to convince you. Shouldn't you be pouring over moon landing photos to try and prove they're fake or something?

• Advertisement

That lots of cards were killed? No that's not anywhere near the truth where does anywhere report lots of cards bricked? Your making a claim without any basis in reality lol think it's past your bedtime possibly lol

That lots of cards were killed? No that's not anywhere near the truth where does anywhere report lots of cards bricked? Your making a claim without any basis in reality lol think it's past your bedtime possibly lol

I provided you with two links, here's some more for your perusal;

https://www.google.ie/?ion=1&espv=2#q=nvidia%20drivers%20killing%20cards

You'll be denying climate change next, but 12:30 is indeed past most normal people's bed times. Bye!

I provided you with two links, here's some more for your perusal;

https://www.google.ie/?ion=1&espv=2#q=nvidia%20drivers%20killing%20cards

You'll be denying climate change next, but 12:30 is indeed past most normal people's bed times. Bye!
    Your links were a forum thread where nobody suggested they had a card killed and the other said the same, now rather than post a single report you are posting a Google search? Pure baseless comments without any foundation whatsoever

Your thread history tells me you've only been PC Gaming for a year? I've been at it nearly twenty so, y'know... draw your own conclusions on that.

I'm glad you're super proud of your 970 but generally platform loyalty is generally considered a bit silly. I've built many nVidia and AMD builds in the past, and have too many crappy driver stories to share.

nVidia drivers are generally fine, but when they do go awry, they generally screw the pooch royally.

I repeat AGAIN; there are articles about this all over. After some investigation, the latest dust-up it turned out to be an issue (largely, but not exclusively) with dual screen setups and beta drivers that were released, and possibly Windows 10 involvement. Considering how many run that kind of setup, it doesn't affect everyone, but it did affect a lot of people.

http://wccftech.com/nvidias-latest-game-ready-driver-allegedly-killing-gpus-plagued-issues/

Since you won't accept reddit because they're into 'drama' (nonsense, especially considering everyone pretty much only uses reddit now) here's some info from Neogaf, an extremely well respected games forum, backing up the multi-monitor cause, and five people affected on pg.1 alone, four on pg.2, a further three on pg.3... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1194687

and from page 3 of that thread, nVidia drivers killed laptop screens about a year ago too http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10-nvidia-whql-drivers-are-killing-alienware-and-clevo-lcd-panels.779449/

PC Gamer reported on it too; http://www.pcgamer.com/geforce-drivers-36447-cause-catastrophic-errors/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=pcgfb

There is plenty of precedence for this. Sorry. nVidia even tweeted about the most recent matter https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce/status/706943318874148864

The End.

30rockbackup.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

..... here's some info from Neogaf, an extremely well respected games forum...
    You lost all credibility when you posted this :pac:

Posting forum posts and articles that even mention 'speculation' in their bolded titles is not lending any weight to your argument that Nvidia's drivers were killing lots of cards.

I think you might have just been better saying there were issues with a recent driver update rather than making sweeping statements that there was a Nvidia card killer on the loose :)

I've been only PC gaming for a year but I know the lay of the land as it is today.

I actually hope AMD start to do better in the graphics card department. Particularly when it comes to drivers and getting out there and getting the deals that help them get quality updates ready for game launches.

Competition is always great for us.

Christ, what did I start? I just mentioned that I was going to wait and see what AMD offer before considering a spend. Been waiting a year to purchase so can wait until all players are available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Back to the actual new cards that are coming out - Does anyone know roughly how long it takes for the likes of EVGA to get their versions ready to buy after nVidia launch themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Back to the actual new cards that are coming out - Does anyone know roughly how long it takes for the likes of EVGA to get their versions ready to buy after nVidia launch themselves?

Any time I've looked up reviews comparing the different models the difference in benchmarks is usually 3 or 4 fps. Like, the base card got 45fps and the other models got 45-49, something like that. I'm not sure I understand why people bother.

Not sure of the warranty nVidia give you, but EVGA give a 3 year one as far as I know. Which is pretty good. I bought my last card from EVGA, impressed by the speed of delivery and the decent warranty. Makes it easier for me to sell on second hand.

Gigabyte supposedly launching a 1080 version on May 27 1070 following shortly after
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gigabyte-teases-their-custom-geforce-gtx-1080-xtreme-gaming.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Gigabyte supposedly launching a 1080 version on May 27 1070 following shortly after
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gigabyte-teases-their-custom-geforce-gtx-1080-xtreme-gaming.html

Gigabyte make some nice cards, but ill hold off until MSI bring out their one with spoilers and go faster stripes :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Any word on when AMD will be making an announcement? Gonna hold off for an MSI card too, seriously considering the 1070 at the moment, will be a pretty significant jump from my R9 270 by the looks of it!! Be nice to see what AMD are offering though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Zillah wrote: »
    Any time I've looked up reviews comparing the different models the difference in benchmarks is usually 3 or 4 fps. Like, the base card got 45fps and the other models got 45-49, something like that. I'm not sure I understand why people bother.
    Because usually you can get significantly improved fans on them; personally I pay extra not so much for performance but the improved (and quiet) fan compared to stock profile :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Some want the better overclocking headroom. Personally, I want the quietest cooler.

This time around though, the stock cooler version (Founders Edition, ugh) will have a higher MSRP (by $100) than the cheapest AIB boards (although I'm sure the likes of Kingpin, Hall of Fame etc will still command a huge premium).
    Not sure of the warranty nVidia give you, but EVGA give a 3 year one as far as I know. Which is pretty good. I bought my last card from EVGA, impressed by the speed of delivery and the decent warranty. Makes it easier for me to sell on second hand.

Yeah, EVGA are my go to brand these days. Pricier, but they have excellent customer service and incentive programs. Also, they now have a returns centre in the UK. And iirc, you don't impact on your warranty if you remove the cooler (for watercooling etc).
    Any word on when AMD will be making an announcement? Gonna hold off for an MSI card too, seriously considering the 1070 at the moment, will be a pretty significant jump from my R9 270 by the looks of it!! Be nice to see what AMD are offering though.

I've seen rumours of them showing something at Computex which is end of May/start of June, but it could have been idle speculation tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

The 1080 might be mightily impressive, but I'm dead-set on getting a Freesync monitor (cheaper) so will happily wait for AMD at the moment.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That seems oddly cart-before-horse thinking. Would you buy a suit to match a shirt too? :p

Nody wrote: »
    Because usually you can get significantly improved fans on them; personally I pay extra not so much for performance but the improved (and quiet) fan compared to stock profile :)

My current card is EVGA GTX770, just because that was the one on the shelf (USA trip). Perhaps I've been taking it for granted. I wonder if I'm in for a nasty surprise when a stock 1080 spins up.

Just sold my 980ti for €500. I think that's an ok deal to sell right now, It will devalue even more in a few weeks I think when the 1070 is out there? Definitely getting the 1080 now, Hurry up EVGA :pac:

Nice one. Good price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Thinking of selling my 390x to pony up for a 1080, any idea what sort of money I should look for? I've no idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Thinking I'd like to pick up a 1080 myself too.
    Problem is my rig will need a complete overhaul I think.
    Currently running an I5-3570k which could do with an upgrade. To upgrade that I need to upgrade the mobo and that of course means the RAM too.
    Current gfx is a 970 which I should be able to sell for a couple hundred.
    PSU should be fine although I would change it in the near future, purely for cable management. Current one is not modular so cables everywhere.
    Guess it's research time. :P

• Advertisement

970 meets VR recommended spec, not sure I'd be bothering to upgrade any time soon on a 970.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Personally I'm looking forward to picking up a second gen. graphic card for my PC at bottom dollars; as I only ran standard 1080p monitors anything beyond it would be overkill and it will extend my PCs life by a couple of years from my current 680 GTX.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Noxin wrote: »
    Thinking I'd like to pick up a 1080 myself too.
    Problem is my rig will need a complete overhaul I think.
    Currently running an I5-3570k which could do with an upgrade. To upgrade that I need to upgrade the mobo and that of course means the RAM too.
    Current gfx is a 970 which I should be able to sell for a couple hundred.
    PSU should be fine although I would change it in the near future, purely for cable management. Current one is not modular so cables everywhere.
    Guess it's research time. :P

A 3570 is fine. I wouldn't bother upgrading it. Upgrade the GPU if it's holding you back but your CPU is fine.

EVGA Us have an info page up for the founders edition of the 1080 now:

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6180-KR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭Varik

A 3570 is fine. I wouldn't bother upgrading it. Upgrade the GPU if it's holding you back but your CPU is fine.

Only reason I can think of is if you were on pcie 2.0, even then not sure I'd bother.

Personally still on a 2500k (5Ghz) so not pushed and looking at 1070 or similar/lower from either side.

EVGA Us have an info page up for the founders edition of the 1080 now:

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6180-KR

Available 27th? I'm confused, I read elsewhere that it would be months before the third party variants are available.

It's a Founders Edition. Not a variant though.

The "while supplies last" is interesting....

Dair76 wrote: »
    It's a Founders Edition. Not a variant though.

The "while supplies last" is interesting....

But it's an EVGA Founders Edition. Is this not a customised EVGA version of the card? I'm so confused. I googled what exactly the Founders Edition is and all I can find is that it likely has better cooling so you can overclock it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Apparently "Founders Edition" is just Nvidia's new name for 'reference cards'.
    It does not mean they are binned, factory overclocked, etc etc. Just means its the card as they designed it with their cooler.

Fairly odd considering people normally go for the 3rd party coolers as they are normally either cooler or quieter. Only time you might want reference is if you planned on taking off the cooler anyway or maybe you need the blower style for a small form factor case.

All in all, its confusing! I have no idea why they did it this way AND are now charging more for it?
    So this means you might get a "super clocked" EVGA version for cheaper? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Varik wrote: »

Only reason I can think of is if you were on pcie 2.0, even then not sure I'd bother.

Personally still on a 2500k (5Ghz) so not pushed and looking at 1070 or similar/lower from either side.

Nah it's sat on 3.0. (asrock Z77 E6)
    I know the gpu is fine. But who is ever happy with fine? :D:D
    I'll hold out for the moment and see how my rig holds up against BF1 when it's in beta. That'll be a big decision maker for me.

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    Apparently "Founders Edition" is just Nvidia's new name for 'reference cards'.
    It does not mean they are binned, factory overclocked, etc etc. Just means its the card as they designed it with their cooler.

Fairly odd considering people normally go for the 3rd party coolers as they are normally either cooler or quieter. Only time you might want reference is if you planned on taking off the cooler anyway or maybe you need the blower style for a small form factor case.

All in all, its confusing! I have no idea why they did it this way AND are now charging more for it?
    So this means you might get a "super clocked" EVGA version for cheaper? :confused:

Probably just another way to milk the consumer; Founders Edition premium = early adopter tax. Which is fine if it only lasts a few weeks and then we can choose custom boards.

Another theory is that the cooler they're using this time around is good enough to charge a premium for - we saw a reference FE card running at 67 degrees in their stage show. So some are speculating that Nvidia thought it better than the entry price point.

I really don't think we'll see "good" custom boards for $599. They'll still charge a premium for those. Instead, it'll be the likes of this one from Galax that are at the cheap end of the scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The prevailing logic over on PC B&U would be that it allows price creep to go a bit more un noticed. As in you thinkning "im getting this wonderful 3rd party card with an awesome cooler and its even cheaper than a reference cooler which it should be better than". So people walk away thinking they have a bargain. I cant really think of a better explanation myself cause it is very strange.

Im personally waiting for real world benchmarks and what AMD have to offer. At this point i wouldnt trust Nvidia's figures too much as the cards and benches there using are most likely hand picked best case scenarios.

Also going forward there is the potential DX12 performance 'issue' for nvidia. It seems at the hardware level Nvidia gpu will struggle with some features of DX12 and AMD will outperform them in these scenarios. How often these scenarios eill appear is not clear yet. Also the chance Nvidia with their middle ware will discourage devs from using the techniques which they currently fall behind on,which lets be honest Nvidia would probably have no issue doing.

Lots to consider atm so im not getting too excited about some cherry benches from nvidia yet.

But...if the Founders Card is just the reference card...then what is the non-founders 1080 from nVidia? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There isn't one. The Founders Edition is just reference cards now going forward.

I like the look of the reference cards - very solid looking. However, couldn't see myself paying the same price for one as you would for a Vapor-X/Nitro/G1/etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

God i'll never understand GPU's...

I'm looking at upgrading my GPU in the coming months, NVidia's announcement is just good timing. I'm running an i5-3570 on a Z77 Pro3 with a Powercolor Radeon HD 7850 v2. I know my board does support PCIe 3.0, so the new NVidia cards should just work.

My question is, should I hold out for the 3rd party cards, or get a 1070 (or 1080, depending on how much of my mortgage I want to ignore) from release by NVidia?

Or just wait and pick up a cheap 980ti or something a few weeks after launch?

• Advertisement

There isn't one.

fKN6Tgn.jpg

GTX 1080: $599
    GTX 1080 Founders: $699

Is that 599 card not referring to an actual card, is it just a placeholder for EVGA etc cards?

This whole situation is clear as mud.

lol

0kTv7y4.jpg

EVGA branded reference card. Sweet. Makes sense. Kill me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The MSRP refers to non-reference cards from partners.

It's all a bit mad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

lol
    EVGA branded reference card. Sweet. Makes sense. Kill me now.

Yup, thats a reference card "Founders edition" from EVGA, will be same when its from ASUS, MSI, Zotac and who ever else. I don't know if Nvidia actually directly sell many cards, atleast outside of the American market. So it was always referring to them.

So it will be the non-reference that will have the MSRP, but will obviously up to them what they want to charge for this custom cooler/factory overclock.
    Mad altogether

I honestly can't see the logic in it either but thats appartently what they have decided to do...

ASRock Z68 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX
    This apparently supports PCIe but will that and my i5 2500k get the most out of the cards

• Advertisement
Advertisement