Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nvidia Launch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

So the slightly superior non-reference cards are cheaper than the reference card? Lord save me.

It is only the reference card that will be available this month? I am expected to pay $100 extra just to not have to wait?

EDIT: This explains it pretty well
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/05/09/nvidia_founders_edition_cards_yea_or_nay#.VzNX-uTcizJ
    This is going to seen by many as an "Early adopters tax" or "NVIDIA tax" by many. Unless you want to pay $100 over MSRP, the likes of your purchasing a GTX 1080 or GTX 1070 at or close to its launch date seems to be impossible.

I think I might just be sucking up the extra price to have it in time for my Vive.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

This "Founders Edition" sounds like "furry toothed fanbois bragging rights edition" and with an idiot tax on top of it to boot. Wait a couple of months for the non-reference cards to be out and supplies steady and prices normalised. No one is going to die because they had to wait for a pimped out video card :)

I might die if I have a Vive sitting in front of me that I can't use because my GPU can't handle it. I suppose I could get a 980ti or something like that in the flooded second-hand market but that seems even more short-sighted than springing for the first batch of 1080s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Zillah wrote: »
    I might die if I have a Vive sitting in front of me that I can't use because my GPU can't handle it. I suppose I could get a 980ti or something like that in the flooded second-hand market but that seems even more short-sighted than springing for the first batch of 1080s.
    What graphics card are you using at the mo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I made the unfortunate mistake of thinking my motherboard had integrated graphics and me just after selling the 980ti. Anyone in Cork wanna loan me a temporary graphics card :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Nedved85 wrote: »
    I made the unfortunate mistake of thinking my motherboard had integrated graphics and me just after selling the 980ti. Anyone in Cork wanna loan me a temporary graphics card :pac:

You big dope :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

ASRock Z68 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX
    This apparently supports PCIe but will that and my i5 2500k get the most out of the cards

It's very unlikely to bottleneck GPU intensive games. CPU intensive games will always be bottle necked by the CPU, very few, if any games are designed to take advantage of bleeding edge processors.

I'd personally hang on to the 2500K for another generation, let the kinks get worked out with DDR4 etc.

I'm running a 2500k too, it's never been the source of any slowdown. It's paired with 8GB of DDR3 and a 970 and everything tends to stay around 60fps with very little tinkering.

If you want a quick performance boost, go for an SSD over anything else.

What graphics card are you using at the mo?

GTX770. I don't know how much will actually run, but I sincerely doubt anything will run well.

As for CPU: I saw a post on Reddit where a guy had both a Vive and a Rift running perfectly on one machine, with two separate GPUs and sharing the CPU. I think processor power isn't much a factor for gaming these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

There are, of course, CPU bound games and games influenced by CPU performance. The former category is pretty small and although the latter category is getting larger it's of little concern to 2500K owners at the moment.

Jesus the law revision is sinking in now lol.

• Advertisement

GTX770. I don't know how much will actually run, but I sincerely doubt anything will run well.
    I can only say that the Vive works very well with the GTX 970.

I wonder has anyone tried the 780Ti with the Vive.

Shiminay wrote: »
    I'm running a 2500k too, it's never been the source of any slowdown. It's paired with 8GB of DDR3 and a 970 and everything tends to stay around 60fps with very little tinkering.

If you want a quick performance boost, go for an SSD over anything else.

I have an 256GB SSD and 3TB HDD.
    Also 8GB DDR3.

It's the 6870 showing its age. Served me well

oh wow, yea, replace that quick, that's rubbish :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Now the problem is if I get a 1070 I can't afford a rift/vive but if I don't have one they will probably run poorly. I don't really need a new GPU yet so if I'm not getting VR I don't need the card!

You *always* need the new card :P

But yea, honestly if you're not in any rush to upgrade, it's always worth giving the third parties a couple of months to see what they can tweak and get out of the reference designs.

Now the problem is if I get a 1070 I can't afford a rift/vive but if I don't have one they will probably run poorly. I don't really need a new GPU yet so if I'm not getting VR I don't need the card!
    What graphics card are you using currently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

You *always* need the new card :P

But yea, honestly if you're not in any rush to upgrade, it's always worth giving the third parties a couple of months to see what they can tweak and get out of the reference designs.

Probably best to wait. Get one with a nice cooler. Plus oculus needs to release touch so I can properly compare the two of those.
    What graphics card are you using currently?

R9 280, Think its an asus so might be overclocked a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Outclasses the Titan X by a wide margin at half the price. Not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I wonder if they will slash soon prices of 970 and 980. Usually they always do.

Given the potential of the 1070 it would have to be some price cut

Yea, the performance gulf might not match the price gulf even with big reductions - I'm sure there's a minimum viable price for a 9XX series card that might still be too high for some, so I wonder if it'll mean lost sales? :D

I'd say the biggest price reductions will be seen in the 980, 980TI and especially the Titan X.

I am not expecting too much reduction with the 970's.

We still haven't seen EU retailer prices yet for the 1070 and 1080.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I'd say the biggest price reductions will be seen in the 980, 980TI and especially the Titan X.

I am not expecting too much reduction with the 970's.

We still haven't seen EU retailer prices yet for the 1070 and 1080.
    Looks like it was a good call to sell my 980ti @ 500 :) No PC gaming for a while though, but hey it's sunny out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Looks like it was a good call to sell my 980ti @ 500 :) No PC gaming for a while though, but hey it's sunny out there!

I know it's terrible.

Don't praise the sun, in fact **** you sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The problem is the cost of production for the 9xx hasn't changed. Whatever Nvidia did to make the new cards at that price just won't translate to the other productions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

ScumLord wrote: »
    The problem is the cost of production for the 9xx hasn't changed. Whatever Nvidia did to make the new cards at that price just won't translate to the other productions.

It's current stock and the deliveries in the near future that the retailers and wholesalers/middlemen will have to drop in price, if they don't it's dead stock that won't sell.

Production of the older cards if going to fall off sharply coming up to the release of the new cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Varik wrote: »
    It's current stock and the deliveries in the near future that the retailers and wholesalers/middlemen will have to drop in price, if they don't it's dead stock that won't sell.
    I wonder though would a really big retailer have some sort of deal worked out to minimise those costs. Sort of a long the lines of the way the news agent sends back any unsold newspapers. They would only have to go through an upset like that once to want to work out some sort of deal. I just know that Nvidia couldn't be manufacturing 9xx cards at a loss until the new range come out. Maybe they've already stopped most production of the 9xx range? I don't see huge discounts. They may well sell at cost to get rid of the stock and I suppose the majority of PC users probably don't even know the new cards are coming so are oblivious to the fact their buying outdated equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Varik wrote: »

Production of the older cards if going to fall off sharply coming up to the release of the new cards.

Exactly. There will be a window where retailers I'll be cleaning up stock of all old gen to make room for new. Specially when no one will buy old gen, when price performance ratio will be way better on new cards.
    It happens all the time, right before new cards they sell out all old gen. Its like a window for it. Then when new gen is out old cards just rocket in price.
    It's just a but surprising not to see this happen already with this gen. Maybe they waiting for 1070 launch.

• Advertisement

This lad is selling 980ti's on ebay. Current bids are around 40% the price for the same model on Amazon. I imagine they're going to climb a lot higher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

ShaneU wrote: »

EUR 789 is just...so much. But I really don't want to have to wait for the 1070. Dammit nvidia, you are being very annoying.

EUR 789 is just...so much. But I really don't want to have to wait for the 1070. Dammit nvidia, you are being very annoying.

That's for the founder's edition. After market cards should appear a few weeks later at cheaper prices

ShaneU wrote: »
    That's for the founder's edition. After market cards should appear a few weeks later at cheaper prices

Do we know it'll only be a few weeks?

Do we know it'll only be a few weeks?

No but that's usually the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

1070 is outrageous.

Titan X performance for 350 ?!?!?!

TheDoc wrote: »
    1070 is outrageous.

Titan X performance for 350 ?!?!?!

I think its going to be a lot more than €350 given the 1080 euro price compared to the dollar price.

I think its going to be a lot more than €350 given the 1080 euro price compared to the dollar price.

I'm assuming that the dollar price is before tax

• Advertisement

Even at €450, it's a total steal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

Even at €450, it's a total steal :)

1080 will be around €765, calling it here! If I'm wrong I'll eat a cheesecake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Kai123 wrote: »
    Even at 450, it's a total steal :)

1080 will be around 765, calling it here! If I'm wrong I'll eat a cheesecake.
    Cheesecakes are nice, pick something like snails or frogs legs.

Kai123 wrote: »
    1080 will be around €765, calling it here! If I'm wrong I'll eat a cheesecake.

Gurd3D article says 789.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

Gurd3D article says 789.

As bad as it would be to be priced so, I'd be happy to even get within a 30 euro margin of error!

It sounds right and is still a good price considering the performance. I'd need a new monitor to justify the card though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

how the hell are USA getting it for $600-$700 and were looking at paying €700-€800 :D God we get shafted on prices here

how the hell are USA getting it for $600-$700 and were looking at paying €700-€800 :D God we get shafted on prices here

The U.S. price doesn't include tax

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

US prices don't include sales tax whereas euro prices include VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ah gotcha, seems awful backwards to announce a product at a price that it wont be sold at :confused: so around 800 euro......yikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Found an interesting review from PC World advising against day 1 purchasing a 1080 and not only because the 1070 will be out in June. It speculated that prices will drop when the third party cards start releasing and that it would be better to time a purchase later in the year. It did reference that Polaris is a total unknown right now as well.

This kind of has me torn, my 'ooh new shiney shiney' side is crying out to buy one of these and an X34 Predator now, while my head is now saying to maybe hold off until the ti version emerges or the third party cards appear. But I wants it!

Advertisement