Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nvidia Launch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

A 1080 looks like a no brainer, you're tripling the performance of pretty much any card outside the Titans, thank god my birthday is in August :D

Vicxas wrote: »
    A 1080 looks like a no brainer, you're tripling the performance of pretty much any card outside the Titans, thank god my birthday is in August :D

"Looks" being the important word.
    It and the 1070 need proper independent testing against each other and confirmed, in hand, price for both.

There is the, so far quiet, elephant in the room; in the form of AMD, to consider too.

"Looks" being the important word.
    It and the 1070 need proper independent testing against each other and confirmed, in hand, price for both.

There is the, so far quiet, elephant in the room; in the form of AMD, to consider too.

What do AMD have coming though, last I read they were claiming that their R9 Fury was going to be their flagship for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

:confused:

What benchmarks are you looking at?

:confused:

What benchmarks are you looking at?

Fine, Doubling.

Happy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Fine, Doubling.

Happy?

It's not doubling performance if you are matching the equivalent previous gen card. You are not suddenly getting 120fps at 1440p in the witcher 3 on a 1080 if you were previously getting 60fps on a 980.

Benchmarks right now are showing about a 30% increase from previous cards, which is still huge. But not triple or even double and we still cannot trust those numbers until the cards are released to the masses.

Also going by reviews so far the 980ti and titan x are only 5-15% lower fps than a 1080, again we need to wait to see how true this is.

I'll be going from 6870 to whatever is available.
    I'll be happy anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I'm going to wait until polaris at the very least and see how they stack up and if they signs are good I might even wait until Vega next year, 14nm with hbm2 should have unreal performance.

The gtx 1080 is a monster of a card but tbh I was expecting a bit more, as greedy as that sounds. 70% performance increase over the gtx 980 is great but when you take into account the 9% increased wattage and the 43% die shrink (largest percentage reduction in gpu history unless I'm mistaken) it's not as colossal as is being made out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Yeah waiting to see what amd have coming is the smart choice, surely they realize they have to get something out quick right? The 1080/1070 will run all over any of the current gen cards, would love to see them pull the rug out from under nvidia with a killer card, prefer their business practices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Still no word on mobile options. :( I want a new laptop in time for BF1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

God damn it my Vive shipped this morning. I am suddenly tempted to get a 970 second-hand and see what the offerings are like for an upgrade later in the year.

Or just slumming it on the 770 for a while. SteamVR says I can run the Vive at low fidelity. I don't know what to do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

If i were you - Id wait. If you are going for the 1080, its only 8 days till its released, my experience of buying from EVGA is that you would have it the following week.

I had just recently decided that the 1070 would be a more sensible options. It's still a monster but no where near the same price tag. Gosh gosh what a conundrum.

Either way - Id wait for the 1080 or 1070, It's only around the corner. I've nothing right now - sold my 980ti last week. Will have a 1080 in about 14 days time I reckon.

Consensus on Reddit seems to be that the 770 will actually do perfectly well for a large percentage of experiences and should tide me over until I can upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

Yeah waiting to see what amd have coming is the smart choice, surely they realize they have to get something out quick right? The 1080/1070 will run all over any of the current gen cards, would love to see them pull the rug out from under nvidia with a killer card, prefer their business practices

The Vega card will be what competes with the 1080. The AMD cards releasing in two weeks are for the mid-market, which makes up the lions share of the graphics card market.

Their higher end "mid-range" card might be something like 30% slower than a 1080 but vastly cheaper, but who knows? Its not long to find out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I don't even regard AMD as competition until they get their drivers in order.

No point in having amazing powerful cards and then waiting for weeks to get higher than 30fps on a newly released game.

I really want AMD to do amazing but they need to do something about their driver support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

No point in having amazing powerful cards and then waiting for weeks to get higher than 30fps on a newly released game.

I really want AMD to do amazing but they need to do something about their driver support.

Nvidia have there moments too,there have been a few game ready drivers that havent been as game ready as i would have liked. GTA V being a good example for me,driver crashed a lot with a 970 till about two driver revisions later Same thing in Arma 3 when the card came out too. Solid now but took awhile to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

im on a 390x now and was on a 7970 before, they've gotten better tbh, ive no problems at the moment, but then i suppose its rare i play games on release, i dont know, as a company they seem a lot more open to other technologies as opposed to say Nvidia's gameworks,
    im really hoping for them, to pull something amazing out of their asses with the new high end cards otherwise im going back to team green ($$$$$$)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Up for pre order on Overlockers, cheapest is £619.99 so around €800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

im on a 390x now and was on a 7970 before, they've gotten better tbh, ive no problems at the moment, but then i suppose its rare i play games on release, i dont know, as a company they seem a lot more open to other technologies as opposed to say Nvidia's gameworks,
    im really hoping for them, to pull something amazing out of their asses with the new high end cards otherwise im going back to team green ($$$$$$)

They might be more open to other tech but there is no benefit to being an AMD owner unlike Nvidia owners who get faster driver releases, tech for extra graphic options like Gameworks and being able to stream games to Shield devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

xtal191 wrote: »
    Up for pre order on Overlockers, cheapest is £619.99 so around €800

Ouch.

Hope the 1070 isint going to be hitting stupid money prices.

Regardless of what the article has, some people will automatically default to Nvidia regardless. Some people were even pre-ordering after the first Nvidia released "benchmarks".

It hurts the industry but at the same time, I think its a minor affect on things overall. The higher-end market is different from the mid-range, where nefarious practices are less affective in selling equipment (due to people looking at numbers and metrics and not brands).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myDYnofz_JE - possible discrepancies between paper launch and bias reviews and the reality of the 1080 founders edition.

1080 is a mean card if temps are kept low enough to keep the "turbo" going. Better to wait and see what aftermarket cards are like.

Kai123 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myDYnofz_JE - possible discrepancies between paper launch and bias reviews and the reality of the 1080 founders edition.

1080 is a mean card if temps are kept low enough to keep the "turbo" going. Better to wait and see what aftermarket cards are like.

Interesting video. tl;dr; if you have a good partner 980ti card, don't upgrade to the reference 1080,wait until the partner custom cards are out to compare their benchmarks. Bit of a balls for me, going to have to wait another week or two beyond the 27th May, any idea roughly how long it takes evga release their custom cards?

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Interesting video. tl;dr; if you have a good partner 980ti card, don't upgrade to the reference 1080,wait until the partner custom cards are out to compare their benchmarks. Bit of a balls for me, going to have to wait another week or two beyond the 27th May, any idea roughly how long it takes evga release their custom cards?

If you are on a 980ti I can't fathom why you'd upgrade. You're hardly struggling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Zillah wrote: »
    If you are on a 980ti I can't fathom why you'd upgrade. You're hardly struggling?

He is using a 34UC97 [3440x1440] though :p
    But I would be thinking the same, surely the performance increase from 980ti to 1080 is not worth the cost, even if you managed to get a good second hand price for the 980ti. Best to wait for AMD's offerings or the 1080ti etc, or even SLI'ing the 980ti given there will probably be quite a few being sold soon.

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »

He is using a 34UC97 [3440x1440] though :p
    But I would be thinking the same, surely the performance increase from 980ti to 1080 is not worth the cost, even if you managed to get a good second hand price for the 980ti. Best to wait for AMD's offerings or the 1080ti etc, or even SLI'ing the 980ti given there will probably be quite a few being sold soon.
    Exactly - 3440 x 1440 is demanding, not as demanding as 4k, but it still is a beast to run. Playing Rainbow 6, Project Cars and even BF4 I have to turn things down a little to get 60fps - and I was thinking of upgrading to an x34 Predator with gsync to try and get higher fps. Will see how the 1080 fairs. The 980ti is perfect - I just want to have the best I can have - I'll get the 1080ti next year also :) Think I have fecked up a small bit though - I should wait for the EVGA's own version of the 1080 - that's another few weeks away though.

• Advertisement

I've never seen the appeal of 4k, to be honest. I'd much rather 1080 with everything on max with a silky framerate over higher resolution at the cost of everything else.

I think 1440p is the sweet spot at the moment. The 1080 should easily run games at max settings in 1440p. I liked the look of the ultrawide monitors when they first came out and went for the LG. It is brilliant - definitely recommend them! Hopefully the 1080 will be well able for ultrawide 1440p :)

OSI wrote: »
    57237343.jpg

Because there are only so many organs in the human body that can be sold to fund such a monster machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Because there are only so many organs in the human body that can be sold to fund such a monster machine.
    Just get another body..

ScumLord wrote: »
    Just get another body..

If I could do this why would I need games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Supposed firestrike scores from a 1070! 14k on firestrike not bad at all!
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/geforce-gtx-1070-3dmark-firestrike-benchmarks-surface.html

Just checked my own firestrike scores

firestrike 14912 and extreme was 7972, from that article 14721 and extreme 4131

quite a difference between extreme but identical firestrike! I thought although nvidia suggested the 1070 would be similar to a 980ti I honestly thought it wouldn't be at all!
    Interested to see real world benches now but looks like my card just lost a lot of its resale value!

• Advertisement

EVGA have the Founders Edition coming in a whopping 805.99 delivered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

This is the cheapest 1080 I can find so far
    http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8192MB-EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1080-SC_1062838.html

With a cheaper cooler other partners may be able to get it down to €700

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Probably worth holding out a few weeks. That's a good price on launch day though, every where seems to be £620
    Can't view Amazon prices on my phone for some reason.

I'm torn, I've no gfx card at the moment - My Vive has just been shipped. I know common sense says wait a week or two until the custom ones are out - The Founders one seems to have some throttling issues according to JayzTwoCents on youtube.

So, 1070 lads, yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

So, 1070 lads, yeah?
    Been holding off on a full rebuild for it for a couple of months now so yes, definitely. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

tuxy wrote: »
    This is the cheapest 1080 I can find so far
    http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8192MB-EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1080-SC_1062838.html

With a cheaper cooler other partners may be able to get it down to €700

Thats only got 1 8 pin power socket....limits overclocking and therefore a waste of time from stuff Ive read online. May as well be patient and see what appears. www.wccftech.com has loads of info early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Thats only got 1 8 pin power socket....limits overclocking and therefore a waste of time from stuff Ive read online. May as well be patient and see what appears. www.wccftech.com has loads of info early.

Overclockers have a load of non FE cards on the site for preorder. Surprisingly most of the dual 8pin custom coolers coming in below the FE pricing!

No dates on OCUk but casekings.de have an eVGA acx3.0 non Fe with a June 17th availability.

Calibos wrote: »
    Overclockers have a load of non FE cards on the site for preorder. Surprisingly most of the dual 8pin custom coolers coming in below the FE pricing!

No dates on OCUk but casekings.de have an eVGA acx3.0 non Fe with a June 17th availability.
    Yeah, mindfactory have a similar date I think, I'm going to hold on till then.

http://eu.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+10+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+1080

Full list of what EVGA are offering 1080 wise

679 euro is the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

http://eu.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+10+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+1080

Is that link broken or has their website crashed.

Website down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Is that link broken or has their website crashed.
    Working fine for me.

Dumb question, but: if my motherboard can take a GTX770 I assume I have the right connections for a 1080/1070? I've never been huge into building. Power supply is already overkill, I know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Dumb question, but: if my motherboard can take a GTX770 I assume I have the right connections for a 1080/1070? I've never been huge into building. Power supply is already overkill, I know that.

Yep, your motherboard might still be on pci-e 2.0 but there is still plenty of life left in that. You will be fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement