Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nvidia Launch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Can someone explain to me what on earth the point of going with the founders edition is? As far as I can see you are paying more for less. That single 8-pin connecter is going to hurt OC-ing down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Yep, your motherboard might still be on pci-e 2.0 but there is still plenty of life left in that. You will be fine.

I have this. It says this:
    1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)

Edit: Googling would suggest based on the age of the motherboard alone that I must have 3.0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Can someone explain to me what on earth the point of going with the founders edition is?

You get the gtx 1080 3 weeks before everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

tuxy wrote: »
    You get the gtx 1080 3 weeks before everyone else.

Pretty much! I'm waiting for the custom ones anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If they had released all at once there may have been a shortage. Now the people that can't wait will pay but most people will wait. I'm not sure as many people will pay for the founders edition as they had banked on but no big loss they are still getting their new line of gpu out before the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Zillah wrote: »
    I have this. It says this:

Edit: Googling would suggest based on the age of the motherboard alone that I must have 3.0.

It says on that page
    3 x PCI Express x1 slots
    (All PCI Express x1 slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Just pre-ordered the Asus ROG Strix RGB Aura thingamajigwhatchamacallit.

2x HMDI and 2x DP and a DVI (Only GTX1080 with 2x HDMI afaik. Want it for monitor and Oculus Rift)

For the Strix to be the least tacky custom cooler it just shows what monstrosities most of the rest are.

8+6 power pins

RGB's will go well with my case theme.

Apparently the shroud is modular so I think I'll be able to remove and paint various details.

2 PWM fan headers on the card for powering and controlling case fans based on GPU rather than mobo/cpu temps. I'll have 2 intake
    fans beside the card. It'll be nice for the GPU to control them itself.

Can't wait. Neither can my Rift. It'll be stewing in its box till I get a GPU :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Calibos wrote: »

2x HMDI and 2x DP and a DVI (Only GTX1080 with 2x HDMI afaik. Want it for monitor and Oculus Rift)

For the Strix to be the least tacky custom cooler it just shows what monstrosities most of the rest are.

8+6 power pins

Apparently the shroud is modular so I think I'll be able to remove and paint various details.

2 PWM fan headers on the card for powering and controlling case fans based on GPU rather than mobo/cpu temps. I'll have 2 intake

Can't wait. Neither can my Rift. It'll be stewing in its box till I get a GPU :D
    Jaysus, thats some spend, over €800 :eek:

Calibos wrote: »

8+6 power pins

Nice, where did you pre order?

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »
    It says on that page

That's just the x1 slots.

I googled it and it turns out GPU-Z has it right there - I'm on 3.0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Nice, where did you pre order?

Overclockers. They're €799 in Europe. I chose to spend the extra few quid with an English speaking company with renowned CS after my brothers painful GPU RMA experiences with HVS in germany a few years ago with the language barrier.

Some of the evga cards are up for preorder on their site now. No mention of a release date.

Some of the evga cards are up for preorder on their site now. No mention of a release date.

Interesting that even the one-down-from-the-top FTW is still cheaper than the FE. The Founders Edition is a lovely looking card but I still don't get why Nvidia are charging more for it.

Edit: Also I have a feeling in my gut whatever AMD announces (possible) in the next few days is going to trash the 1080 at DX12 and Vulcan.

Interesting that even the one-down-from-the-top FTW is still cheaper than the FE. The Founders Edition is a lovely looking card but I still don't get why Nvidia are charging more for it.

Edit: Also I have a feeling in my gut whatever AMD announces (possible) in the next few days is going to trash the 1080 at DX12 and Vulcan.

Yeah, it makes no sense at all to buy the founders edition.

Unfortunately I like using my nvidia shield android tv.. So I'm sucked into the nvidia ecosystem :/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

These "founders editions" are nothing more than foaming at the mouth more money than sense numpty tax :)

• Advertisement

Do EVGA charge immediately on pre-orders or do they wait until the item is shipping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

They charge upon shipping. I ordered a 1080 SC for 745 including shipping today. It hasn't shipped yet. Might take a few days.

I've bought direct from the EVGA website for years. They have great customer support....which is really rare for a European tech company tbh.

They also run a step-up program. If you buy a card or mobo or whatever and then a few months down the line a new one comes out and you feel burned, you send them the old one back and pay the difference for the new one.

Kirby wrote: »
    They charge upon shipping. I ordered a 1080 SC for 745 including shipping today. It hasn't shipped yet. Might take a few days.

I've bought direct from the EVGA website for years. They have great customer support....which is really rare for a European tech company tbh.

They also run a step-up program. If you buy a card or mobo or whatever and then a few months down the line a new one comes out and you feel burned, you send them the old one back and pay the difference for the new one.
    Preordered the ftw one, it'll be more than a few days before they start shipping I'd say...?

Some in the evga forums have had theirs shipped already. It might take a while for some but I'm not expecting longer than a week.

Some in the evga forums have had theirs shipped already. It might take a while for some but I'm not expecting longer than a week.

Fantastic stuff! Evga on the ball again.

• Advertisement

Just found this from an evga mod on their forum:

"EVGATech_ChrisB
    Hi Everyone,

I can confirm that you can purchase the GTX 1080 Founders edition from EVGA.com while supplies last at .

The GTX 1080 SC and FTW cards should be available for shipment about Mid-June.

Thank you everyone for your patience. "

Just found this from an evga mod on their forum:

"EVGATech_ChrisB
    Hi Everyone,

I can confirm that you can purchase the GTX 1080 Founders edition from EVGA.com while supplies last at .

The GTX 1080 SC and FTW cards should be available for shipment about Mid-June.

Thank you everyone for your patience. "

That sounds right. The FTW doesn't even have a confirmed shipping clock speed yet.

It does actually. It leaked today. Oddly, it's only 13 MHz higher than the SC. Not very impressive tbh.

It does actually. It leaked today. Oddly, it's only 13 MHz higher than the SC. Not very impressive tbh.

But with the FTW you're paying for the higher overclocking potential not the out-of-the-box clock right?

Absolutely. In theory. But overclocking is not guaranteed.....the only thing guaranteed is the base clock on the card.

And there are those who are suspicious of the fact that the base clock of the FTW is only 13 MHz higher than the SC, for EVGA anyway. It leads to theories that many FTW wont be good overclockers because if they were, surely the stock would be higher? And that the base is all certain binned FTW will be able to achieve and yet they will still charge a premium for it.....because users will assume it can go higher.

I'm not sure I subscribe to that theory but I will admit I was shocked at how much lower the EVGA FTW is than some of the other brands. It makes sense from a business stand point though for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Seems odd that they'd go to the bother of reworking the power system with two 8-pin connectors just for a 13Mhz clock boost though, no?

But they charge more for it. And by lowering the standard needed for a "FTW" card, they can sell a ton more.

Is it genuine though??

Seems a bit nuts for only 13 mhz

Pretty sure I'm just going to get the cheapest version possible, because the more I hear the more I'm convinced that the variations between 1080 models will be trivial.

Pretty sure I'm just going to get the cheapest version possible, because the more I hear the more I'm convinced that the variations between 1080 models will be trivial.
    I am kind of thinking which ever one keeps it cool and cheap of course :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Shiminay wrote: »
    These "founders editions" are nothing more than foaming at the mouth more money than sense numpty tax :)
    I wonder if that's why OCUK are adverting this with the 1080s: :D
    v0gkkSK
    http://imgur.com/v0gkkSK

You can check yourself, this item only shows up when you filter for 1080s and it costs £10.80:
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia/geforce-gtx-1080

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Skerries wrote: »

Hothardware have their review up too. Slightly different results on the 980Ti front due to this...
    Please note, that the GeForce GTX 980 Ti used here is the ASUS STRIX, which is factory overclocked. We used this card because we feel it better represents the type of 980 Ti enthusiasts are likely to own today, in lieu of lower-clocked reference cards.

FYI

Two of the evga cards have moved from "Pre Order" to "Add to cart"

http://eu.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+10+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+1080

As someone who had decided the 1070 is better value I don't appreciate you dangling temptation in my face like this!

As someone who had decided the 1070 is better value I don't appreciate you dangling temptation in my face like this!

Apologies :) You may aswell get the cheapest 1080 from evga, Not bad at 680 :P

"Add to Cart" has changed to "Pre-order" now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

My over-priced founders edition is sitting under the front seat of my car :D

Branoic wrote: »

You need to be careful about where you park.
    Let us know where you are so we can do a security check!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

My over-priced founders edition is was sitting under the front seat of my car :D

Thaaaaaaanks :D

Not much ventilation there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Nobody cares about the 1070 for us plebs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Not much ventilation there

He's right you know, very warm out at the moment! Could melt in the box...

He's right you know, very warm out at the moment! Could melt in the box...
    I bet he didn't even leave it some water, cruel bastard :p

So I've got Windows 10, and prior to the 1080 I had a 780ti. My old card was running fine, never had any driver issues after the Windows 10 upgrade last year etc.

I installed my new GTX 1080 last night and ran into an error when updating the driver, "This NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows."

I uninstalled everything related to NVIDIA on the system, rebooted, downloaded a fresh copy of GForce Experience and redownloaded the driver, but I've still got the same issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

So I've got Windows 10, and prior to the 1080 I had a 780ti. My old card was running fine, never had any driver issues after the Windows 10 upgrade last year etc.

I installed my new GTX 1080 last night and ran into an error when updating the driver, "This NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows."

I uninstalled everything related to NVIDIA on the system, rebooted, downloaded a fresh copy of GForce Experience and redownloaded the driver, but I've still got the same issue.
    ...crap, and that's the exact same upgrade route I'll be taking [waiting on my EVGA ACX version]
    Perhaps try one of those driver cleaners and reinstall the latest?
    I did have an odd issue a few updates back with nvidia drivers and needed to do that.

used this one by the way -> link

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Is that with version 368.25? I don't know if that's being offered via Geforce Experience currently.

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »

...crap, and that's the exact same upgrade route I'll be taking [waiting on my EVGA ACX version]
    Perhaps try one of those driver cleaners and reinstall the latest?
    I did have an odd issue a few updates back with nvidia drivers and needed to do that.

used this one by the way -> link

Yeah that seems to be the first step recommended on Reddit / support forums. I'll get and run DDU at lunch time today when I'm back home.

Windows 10 is an absolute bastard when it comes to drivers. I spent an hour trying to stop it from overwriting my Geforce driver with one from mid 2015.

Windows 10 is an absolute bastard when it comes to drivers. I spent an hour trying to stop it from overwriting my Geforce driver with one from mid 2015.

I think my issue might be related to the fact that I've had automatic Windows updates disabled, so Windows 10 itself hasn't updated since I got it. There's apparently a November 2015 Windows update which is needed for the graphics driver. I left my PC applying that Windows update at lunch so hopefully I should have a working 1080 shortly after I get home from work this evening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement