Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nvidia Launch

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Pulled a trigger on a Gsync monitor I had my eye on, that went up on overclockers today in their bGrades. So pot committed to a 1070

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Branoic wrote: »
    I think my issue might be related to the fact that I've had automatic Windows updates disabled, so Windows 10 itself hasn't updated since I got it. There's apparently a November 2015 Windows update which is needed for the graphics driver. I left my PC applying that Windows update at lunch so hopefully I should have a working 1080 shortly after I get home from work this evening.

Windows update worked :D all is well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

So has anyone received any Board Partner 1080's (Not the founders version) yet? Waiting impatiently on EVGA :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Nedved85 wrote: »
    So has anyone received any Board Partner 1080's (Not the founders version) yet? Waiting impatiently on EVGA :)

It's so annoying that they're launching a month or two after all the enthusiast VR headsets arrived, rather than before.

I'm not so bothered about that really, it's the length of time between "we're launching the 1080" to actually getting it. Granted, I could have gone for a founders edition and would have one by now, but I prefer to have an EVGA card, another 1 - 2 weeks I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

K3_ODyx_X.png

Hopefully not too much longer.....

1070's will be rolling out for order in the coming minutes, few sites let (I imagine purposefully) the product pages slip.

Pricing not very enticing or impressive. Granted they appear to be FE models, the pricing doesn't look great.

I'll probably revert to my original plan of wait till end of the month to buy, where pricing should settle after the initial Supply/Demand Gouge, and hopefully AMD will make a slight kink on pricing of Nvidia stuff.

Definitly some major retailer gouging going on

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mark1006

TheDoc wrote: »
    1070's will be rolling out for order in the coming minutes, few sites let (I imagine purposefully) the product pages slip.

Pricing not very enticing or impressive. Granted they appear to be FE models, the pricing doesn't look great.

I'll probably revert to my original plan of wait till end of the month to buy, where pricing should settle after the initial Supply/Demand Gouge, and hopefully AMD will make a slight kink on pricing of Nvidia stuff.

Definitly some major retailer gouging going on

Do you think this kind of price gouging will take place with the launch of the RX480? Given their emphasis on affordability and mass market appeal that seems a bit...detrimental?

Mark1006 wrote: »
    Do you think this kind of price gouging will take place with the launch of the RX480? Given their emphasis on affordability and mass market appeal that seems a bit...detrimental?

So I went digging about what is a very clear red flag with 1070 pricing, and found some stuff on Reddit and Twitter that explains the situation around the pricing.

Retailers have been taking a hammering from consumers, especially loyal consumers (OCUK forums especially critical) about the 1070 pricing and the massive disparity from Nvidias announced RRP.

What Nvidia didn't reveal alongside the RRP, was that their production capacity is nowhere near optimal or running at capacity. Nvidia essentially rushed first wave cards to market to get ahead of AMD and get the reviews in early. And the reviews are solid, AMD wont come close with their upcoming releases, and it will be Vega before they are close, and thats likely next year , when a 1080TI will likely surface.

But that is enthusiast levels, the 1070 looked the real sweet spot, still a good bit ahead of the AMD offering in performance, but price tempers that back.

Some retailers and manafacturers have publicly commented that Distributors have raised their first wave pricing, as there is production issues getting the cards out in volume.

This accounts for why we see both the FE version coming along, aswell as what is pure gouging. The demand is not there to meet supply. A number of retailers in the states have told their Distributors they have no interested in taking stock until the production levels are proper from Nvidia and pricing is accurate.

The indication for when this will happen, appears to be mid-late July.

You'll see a lot of AIB cards are only available to pre-order. With most set for a end of June release, but looks like that might slip to July. I'm looking at the Inno x3/x4Chill as the 1070 of choice, and seeing they are at an end of June release, but might slip to July.

I don't think we will see AMD issues with pricing, as they will launch with production at capacity. Retail prices will likely be similar to RRP, although remembering Sterling is **** at the moment for us buying with Euro.

But Nvidia to me feel like theyve shot themselves in the foot. While rushing to market and getting the deserved plaudits for two great cards, they've cause a fair bit of backlack among consumers who I wouldn't be surprised if many now will hang off for AMD.

As the supply takes longer and longer to arrive it leaves people like me for example, who wasn't going to adopt day one, sitting here and then seeing all the benchmarks and pricing and giving me something to think about. I'm pretty much pot committed to the 1070 after buying a Gsync monitor, but I'd say there will be decent enough numbers who might go with a AMD offering this round and save on $$$

We are at the point where 1080p gaming is being capped out really, and 1440p is where the next reach is. Personally don't believe VR is the bench, as simply put, **** all % of the consumer base are actively using, playing or have built a VR system.

I'm getting a 1070 for 1080p gaming which is TOTAL overkill,but can really see for others like me sticking with 1080p, no real interest in 1440p, the stock delays from Nvidia might shift a significant portion of people back into AMD camps. As the 490 looks pretty good at the 1080p range.

I'm one.
    I use my PC as media PC hooked straight to my TV and it's a 1080p plasma 60" and not upgrading any time soon
    I was going to be all over the 1070 but AMD is heavily tempting now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Mark1006 wrote: »

Rumours are that AMD are launching properly i.e. retailer already have stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Right, so I'd decided to go for the EVGA 1070 SC but I came to the realisation that I've no interest in OCing nor do I give a crap what the card looks like; so I'm just gonna go for the FE version today; am I nuts?

Shred wrote: »
    Right, so I'd decided to go for the EVGA 1070 SC but I came to the realisation that I've no interest in OCing nor do I give a crap what the card looks like; so I'm just gonna go for the FE version today; am I nuts?

Not much else out there at the minute I guess, the after market version will run cooler however (May be quieter too - I'm not sure on that one though).

Yeah that's true, but if I'm not Occing then that's not really an issue. As it's not particularly noisy when it's idle it won't bother me either.

If this all sounds like I'm trying to convince myself it's because I am. I just want to make sure I'm not being too hasty...even though I am!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The cards will overclock themselves with GPU Boost 3.0 so yes a decent cooler will matter,if only to limit the thermal throttling a bit

I take your point, however I went ahead and ordered the card earlier along with a Vive, can't wait to get them!

The cards essentially OC themselves so the FE will be slower.

Well I'm not looking to go 1440p at ultra settings or anything, originally I was going to order a 970 just for VR but held out once the benchmarks for the new GTXs were revealed instead.

Well I'm not looking to go 1440p at ultra settings or anything, originally I was going to order a 970 just for VR but held out once the benchmarks for the new GTXs were revealed instead.

VR is the most graphically demanding application out there at the moment. I'm still held back by an OC'd 1080.

• Advertisement

VR is the most demanding graphical application out there at the moment. I'm still held back by an OC'd 1080.

On which games?

Nedved85 wrote: »
    On which games?

Elite:Dangerous I can only do 1.5 super sampling, I'd prefer 2. Project cars, DCS world isn't too bad. Pretty much anything Vorpx based. Star Citizen.

Optimisation will come but so will more complex graphics.

VR is the most graphically demanding application out there at the moment.

That's correct, but my point is I was already willing to settle for a 970 and regardless of buying an FE card I'm still getting a much better card than I was about to buy. Will it be the best 1070 out there? Absolutely not, but it will be a better than a 970 which would have cost me almost the same to buy when I was about to pull the trigger a month ago.

Elite:Dangerous I can only do 1.5 super sampling, I'd prefer 2. Project cars, DCS world isn't too bad. Pretty much anything Vorpx based. Star Citizen.

Optimisation will come but so will more complex graphics.

My 1080 should be here tomorrow - Will see what the difference is between that and a 780 (Which is basically the minimum - ie = a gtx 970) for Project Cars :)

That's correct, but my point is I was already willing to settle for a 970 and regardless of buying an FE card I'm still getting a much better card than I was about to buy. Will it be the best 1070 out there? Absolutely not, but it will be a better than a 970 which would have cost me almost the same to buy when I was about to pull the trigger a month ago.

Why not go for a good second hand 970/980 for half the cost. The FE's with depreciate like a luxobarge.

Advertisement