Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new desktop - alternatives to DELL?

Options
  • 07-05-2016 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭

I've had good service from a DELL desktop for the last few years.

There's nothing wrong with it, but it's just too slow now.

What are my alternatives to something like this.....

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/xps-8900-desktop/pd?oc=bdx8906&model_id=xps-8900-desktop

I get the VAT back, so it stands me about €1500.

I need to move around image files of up to 4Gb with ease, rather than spend my time watching the spinning wheel. (How good is the graphics card in the above DELL spec?)

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

D.

Ps. I used to love it when you could build your own DELL entirely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You need to tell us what work you do/software you use.

If you're Photoshopping GPU impact is pretty low, but if its accelerated video work GPU makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dinarius

ED E wrote: »
    You need to tell us what work you do/software you use.

If you're Photoshopping GPU impact is pretty low, but if its accelerated video work GPU makes a huge difference.

I'm a stills photographer who dips his toe in video occasionally. Stills files can be large, and some programs are faster than others. With my current setup, Photoshop is ok, but Capture One (in particular) and Phocus are slow.

That's pretty much it.

Thanks for the reply.

D.

Advertisement