Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going for interview, already have job

• 07-05-2016 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

I've got an interview for a summer position. It's in a company of an industry in which my degree is based.

However, I've already got a position in another company. Is it wrong to go the the interview, if I might turn it down for the job I have at the moment? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

No. You have every right to explore your options.

For most of my childhood. my father continuously applied and interviewed for jobs in his industry. In five years, changing jobs every six to nine months, he effectively gave himself four promotions and doubled his salary. In the process, he gained enough experience to build a CV full of troubleshooting and huge cost savings for his employers. It is not a path for everyone, but it is not unethical provided you don't lie or steal from your employers and you give each one the opportunity to counteroffer (if appropriate in the situation).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you will, then yes, you're just wasting everyone's time.

But if you only might, then no, you're still a candidate for this job, if they can convince you that it's better than what you have already.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

Go for the interview, the more experience you can get at them the better and less nervous you'll be, especially as you're still in college.
    Prepare as intensely as you would as though you're really hoping for the job, it's good practice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Go for it. You can never have too many options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

FionnK86 wrote: »
    I've got an interview for a summer position. It's in a company of an industry in which my degree is based.

However, I've already got a position in another company. Is it wrong to go the the interview, if I might turn it down for the job I have at the moment? :confused:

Is the other company in the industry that you've your degree? Even if it is, if you are offered better terms and conditions in the company you are interviewing for then no harm in taking the interview. Even if you start in the 1st company and then get offered a better package from the 2nd probation is a 2 way street they can let you go or you can walk, just tell them you got a better offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Thanks guys, I've only gone for 2 interviews in my life and have got the job both times, but both times I wanted the job. This time I might want it. Your advice has been great.

Advertisement