Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy

Options
  • 07-05-2016 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work in the private sector for a company, things have gone very quite reticently and i had a bad feeling that i am going to be made redundant

i have a family to support and i do not know how i will survive if i am made redundant, can they just make me redundant like that can i appeal? do they have to follow fair procedures and should this be the last option

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They can make your position redundant if the position no longer exists, eg if they've lost customers and don't need you do the work any more.

You cannot appeal.

They have to follow the law: give you your contractual notice, and pay as per your contract. (They state will pay if they can't, but it takes a long time to come through). That also means they cannot apply illegal discriminatory policies to selecting who to make redundant (eg oldest, youngest, female, pregnant or likely to get that way).

Not necessarily the last option at all: it's up to the owners / boards of directors how they want to structure their business, and there is no rquirement for them to maximise employment levels. in some companies reducing headcount is the first option.

Are you job hunting already? You should be.

Advertisement