Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red light cameras should be deployed at major junctions in city

Options
  • 07-05-2016 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭

as per title this should be brought to this city,
    government tight of funds? they would clean up if this was brought to Galway.

Journey to work and back during the week i see at least 30+ cars a day breaking red lights at major junctions, some of which think its acceptable to park in the middle of the junction which cause a chain reaction on the other routes and make the traffic situation worse.

as its being deployed in Dublin this should get rolled out.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Totally agree this is a real issue , especially at the Newcastle end of QCB I see this every day every time . dangerous with pedestrian lights and hundreds crossing. Also at hospital lights regularly. Penalties the only way of changing driver behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I see your red light gamblers and raise you stupid illicit parking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

snubbleste wrote: »
    I see your red light gamblers and raise you stupid illicit parking

that is something for the gardai/warden that on the street to do that.
    Red light cameras will be a cash cow until behavior changes and does not require a person to be at the junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And introduce registration for bicycles too - would add to the red-light-rewards pot substantially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

And introduce registration for bicycles too - would add to the red-light-rewards pot substantially.

No, not substantiality as there are multiples of people driving and breaking red lights verus cyclists doing the same.

The pros and cons of bike registration has being done a few times in the cycling and transport forums, have a search if your interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

jjpep wrote: »
    there are multiples of people driving and breaking red lights verus cyclists doing the same.
    Do you have any figures to back that statement up?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Keep this on red light cameras for motorists only. We already have "general gripe with traffic" threads
    Thanks

And yes, it would be a good idea. I see people driving through red lights all the time.
    Easy cashcow for the council

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

You'd make minimum of a billion euro a year if you could fine people who break right lights coming off Lough Atalia/College Road heading for Dublin Road. So many times I see somebody blocking the Wellpack traffic in the yellow box. This absolutely has to come to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Laviski wrote: »
    as its being deployed in Dublin this should get rolled out.

Do you know if only in Dublin or have they been installed in other Regional Cities/Towns to date?

So far it seems to be in Dublin only

A red light camera was installed at Blackhall Place along the Luas Red Line in June and to Oct 2015 it had detected 155 breaking a red light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Its a good idea. I see it a lot in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

This, and permanent speed cameras at crucial (not "fish in a barrell") points such as outside schools.

Would also welcome a proper review of speed limits adapted to the actual condition of the road rather than the classification (why is bothar na dreabh a 50 zone, for example? Or the tuam road outside the builders suppliers?); although i see that they replaced some of the more stupid speed limits on country roads with those white/black signs; it's a start.

Things civilised countries have implemented for a long long time...why is it so hard for this country to catch up with the rest of the world on the simplest things?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

They could start at roscam lights. It's an open fast junction and I've seen at least one accident where a guy taking the red at speed couldn't take the right up to douighiska and ended up in the wall.

biko wrote: »
    So far it seems to be in Dublin only

A red light camera was installed at Blackhall Place along the Luas Red Line in June and to Oct 2015 it had detected 155 breaking a red light.

Is this the only one in the whole country? or the only one you have heard about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

If they had it at the junction at the bottom of the Ballybane Rd, and charged €20 a pop, they'd make €100-€200 every sequence during morning traffic alone.

If they had it at the junction at the bottom of the Ballybane Rd, and charged €20 a pop, they'd make €100-€200 every sequence during morning traffic alone.
    Why just €20 ? It would be min €80 and 2 penalty points if a Garda pulled one over on it.
    http://garda.ie/Documents/User/Full%20List%20of%20Penalty%20Point%20Offences..pdf

Sure its €40 for a FPN if one breaks a red light on a bicycle.
    http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=15488&Lang=1

biko wrote: »

ah Ok thought you might have real knowledge on it. Policy doc's etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

They need to install these yokes at some traffic lights

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Why just €20 ? It would be min €80 and 2 penalty points if a Garda pulled one over on it.
    http://garda.ie/Documents/User/Full%20List%20of%20Penalty%20Point%20Offences..pdf

Sure its €40 for a FPN if one breaks a red light on a bicycle.
    http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=15488&Lang=1

Absolutely. The point I was making was more to do with the regularity at which it happens at that junction. The high volume of offenders alone would make it a goldmine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Put them at the lights by the courthouse and they will be able to bring in basic income in the city. People are always coming around the corner as you cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Put them at the lights by the courthouse and they will be able to bring in basic income in the city. People are always coming around the corner as you cross.

I've been caught there myself normally becausea bus has difficulty making the corner but once you have passed the stop line you are supposed to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

What exactly are red light cameras? What do they do? How do they work?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

I've been caught there myself normally becausea bus has difficulty making the corner but once you have passed the stop line you are supposed to keep going.

This is a really tricky junction. Often cars turning (left from Francis Street, or right from Waterside) onto the road towards the Salmon Weir/Newtownsmith (not sure what this road is called, is it still the Headford Rd?), they meet the lights along this road, which will be red (for the Headford Rd traffic), and they interpret that they have to stop, thus backing up traffic behind them. It is a regular x-junction, but to facilitate a pedestrian crossing further back towards the bridge, isn't treated as such.

So often the problem here is not so much people breaking a red light, but obeying a red light which doesn't apply to them.

Also, coming from the Salmon Weir, going straight to the headford road, you can clear the lights, pass the stop line, and travel 30-odd meters, before you reach the box junction, so drivers can find themselves in limbo, not knowing if they should keep going through the box junction (my pet peeve as it blocks the traffic from Waterside from moving at all), and hope they will clear it onto the Headford Road, or wait for the next round of lights, having already cleared their lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I've noticed that it's quite common for people to ignore the lights when coming out of Dunnes Westside.
    Also, speed cameras on Quincentenary Bridge would be a lottery win for revenue.

eezipc wrote: »
    I've noticed that it's quite common for people to ignore the lights when coming out of Dunnes Westside.
    Also, speed cameras on Quincentenary Bridge would be a lottery win for revenue.

Dunnes westside different rules apply ! Not just red light breaking but Loads park up blocking one lane thru car park and the amount of times cars cut out without bothering to look in car park and at exit is incredible and dangerous but they don't give a damn .
    Red light cameras and points are essential in my view its so common now all over town and is dangerous driving behaviour people need to be forced to cop on

There is definitely need for a camera at Liosban estate entrance.
    I see people breaking red lights there just about every day.
    The same for lights at Glenanail Drive, those people don't give a **** and will just enter traffic at will it seems.

Who has the power to decide if these should go in? Councillors based on a vote on a motion brought by one or more of them? or does the council executive determine . Well worth them looking at

• Advertisement

Yes, someone should do something*

*not me though

Advertisement