Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!- How to Prune a Weeping Willow?

Options
  • 07-05-2016 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

We planted a willow in our front garden 6/7 yrs ago. I believe it's called a yellow bark willow or something like that. We had the same tree in our last house, but the earlier one was planted by the landscapers and was much more mature when we got it.

Anyhow we've had a couple of crazy yrs and the garden didn't get the time and attention it should. I'm back on the case now and need to tackle the willow, all I've done with it is trim the low hanging branches and it's looking very overgrown and out of shape. I've googled and youtubed but can't find instructions on how to prune and train this tree.

Can anyone advise? I have a pic but I can't seem to post it.

I was thinking of removing some of the lower branches and there's also one large branch, the top of the tree really that's growing up and off to one side, this particular branch nearly doubles the height of the tree.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Kmum wrote: »
    We planted a willow in our front garden 6/7 yrs ago. I believe it's called a yellow bark willow or something like that. We had the same tree in our last house, but the earlier one was planted by the landscapers and was much more mature when we got it.

Anyhow we've had a couple of crazy yrs and the garden didn't get the time and attention it should. I'm back on the case now and need to tackle the willow, all I've done with it is trim the low hanging branches and it's looking very overgrown and out of shape. I've googled and youtubed but can't find instructions on how to prune and train this tree.

Can anyone advise? I have a pic but I can't seem to post it.

I was thinking of removing some of the lower branches and there's also one large branch, the top of the tree really that's growing up and off to one side, this particular branch nearly doubles the height of the tree.

Hard to say without a pic but I would thin it out, reduce the height, whilst keeping it's shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kmum

Thanks for the response Discodog, would I be ok doing it at this time of year? Yes its hard to visualise without a pic, its growing like a single sided Y if that makes any sense! I could pm you a pic if that's ok with you? I think its my post count that's restricting me from posting it here.

Kmum wrote: »
    Thanks for the response Discodog, would I be ok doing it at this time of year? Yes its hard to visualise without a pic, its growing like a single sided Y if that makes any sense! I could pm you a pic if that's ok with you? I think its my post count that's restricting me from posting it here.

Feel free to PM it.

Thanks Discodog, that's gone to you now.

I would take off everything above this line & keep the top well pruned to encourage it to weep. It will also encourage it to fill out on top.

IMG_4281%202_zpshivj6sxl_20160507195457356.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks a million, looking forward to getting it done next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

IMG_4281%202_zpshivj6sxl_20160507195457356.jpg

I would be inclined to leave it alone as it is not a substantial tree and allow it to form its own crown shape over time. Weeping willows can get a bit wonkey looking while growing but reshape themselves over time, and are very prone to decay when pruned or pruned incorrectly.

Generally speaking, Mid winter is the best time to prune a tree followed by mid summer. Spring and autumm are not timeas to prune a tree as the tree is focusing its resources elsewhere and diverting the resources towards damage repair at these times is detrimental to the tree.

http://www.trees.org.uk/Help-Advice/Public/Are-there-any-times-of-year-when-tree-works-should

see "The importance of correct pruning cuts" here

http://www.trees.org.uk/Help-Advice/Public/A-brief-guide-to-tree-work-terminology-and-definit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I would have thought it obvious that any upward growing branches on a weeping tree be removed at an early stage?

Willows are very hardy so in addition to shaping the tree, I would also reduce the number of weeping branches especially old wood.

Heavy pruning on deciduous trees is generally best done during the dormant season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

If you cut it, the weeping will become screaming :)

I would have thought it obvious that any upward growing branches on a weeping tree be removed at an early stage?

Willows are very hardy so in addition to shaping the tree, I would also reduce the number of weeping branches especially old wood.

The tree that the OP posted is a young tree in tree terms. The below picture shows a maturer weeping willow. With patience, this is the roughly the height and size and shape the tree will be when it matures. The tree has to grow upwards and outwards over time and does not necessarily do so in a proportionate or balanced or even way.

In addition a tree is a self balancing system, balancing its roots to its shoots, so if you prune it it will try to re balance itself by shooting, so if possible it is best to leave the tree un-pruned.

Also to take into consideration, is that the tree is growing in a particular site where light and wind come into play. This will effect how and in which direction the tree will grow, so it may just regrow in the way that it already has, negating the initial pruning.

Formative pruning can be carried out on young trees, but formative pruning has an eye to the final shape of the tree and would be delicate.

I'm not sure why you would remove weeping branches on a weeping tree?

7210566_orig.jpg

• Advertisement

If you cut it, the weeping will become screaming :)

tumblr_mubee5G3CT1rhjaiio3_500.gif
    :D

Advertisement