Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord upping rent. Can I ask for the place to be painted?

Options
  • 07-05-2016 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭

Landlord has just text me to tell me he needs to up the rent by 100pm. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things although it'll have to be scraped together each month so I'm not complaiming too much.

We've been here six yeara. The house needs to be repainted. Can I ask him to do this? Even pay for the paint and we can paint it? I've 4 kids so trying to get someone in to do it with them running around would be hard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

AFAIK he has to give 90 days notice ( the 90 days cant include the date that it was issued on) and I think has to be in writing. A text may be sufficient. But Im pretty sure it has to be a letter

You can ask him. Honestly I cant imagine he agreeing to repaint it. That is his rent increase immediately gone and it will probably cost closer to €2k to paint a house. I serious doubt he will let you paint it, as there is the high risk of that house getting damaged eg if you arent familiar with painting, you might not take the precautions to prevent spills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

You have to get notice and a letter regarding a rent increase - but yes, he can do that. He cant raise it again for two years.

Regarding the paint - you can ask, no harm in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

As said, he has to give 90 days notice and your rent can only be increased every two years (so if it was increased last year, he can't increase it again yet).

You can ask about the paint but I don't think he's obliged to do it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No I know he can raise the rent, I'm not arguing that point at all, I will tell him about the 90 days thing though. I'll ask him about the paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dr_Kolossus

personally I would wait until the rent increase kicks in. Then ask about the paint.

Increase is going to happen anyway. Get it out of the way, then ask about the paint.

If you ask now, he may say ok, but rent is up 150 pm. If you wait until the 100 kicks he cant increase again for 2years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

January wrote: »
    Even pay for the paint and we can paint it?
    Ensure you use a roller if doing so yourself, as it'll use so little paint compared to using a brush, and also do a more even finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why does it need to be repainted? Inside or out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Why does it need to be repainted? Inside or out?

After 6 years do you not think it's reasonable for a fresh coat of paint. Wear and tear and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

After 6 years do you not think it's reasonable for a fresh coat of paint. Wear and tear and all that.

Does it need it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

davo10 wrote: »
    Does it need it?

After 6 years, more than likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Does it need it?

According to the OP, yes it does

Inside, the house is not painted outside, apart from the window ledges and the tops of the wall. To be fair I don't think the place was even freshly painted when we moved in so it could even be more than 6 years without a paint.

I'm going to ring him tomorrow, I want to tell him about the 90 days notice thing, the boiler is also due a service (was installed Feb of last year, before that he never got it serviced once). I don't think I'll ask about paint until the increase kicks in as another poster suggested.

Does it need it?

Yes it needs it, white paint all over the house dulls over 6 years, the gloss around the door frames definitely needs to be re-done too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There should be absolutely no problem getting it painted. Maintenance work is tax deductible for your landlord. I do some kind of upkeep job every year on rented property to keep my tax bill down.

Request the painting, don't suggest paying for any part of it or doing it yourself.. (Have you not got enough to be doing like! ;) )and remind about the boiler servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

very smart advice above, pay the rent increase, then ask him for the paint.

he cant increase again for 2 years.

remember you have 4 kids, dont rock the boat with his fella, its not worth the hassle at the moment.

pwurple wrote: »
    There should be absolutely no problem getting it painted. Maintenance work is tax deductible for your landlord. I do some kind of upkeep job every year on rented property to keep my tax bill down.

Request the painting, don't suggest paying for any part of it or doing it yourself.. (Have you not got enough to be doing like! ;) )and remind about the boiler servicing.

I totally disagree. The landlord is upping the rent as he needs the money and you think he will spend over €2k without a problem? It defeats the benefit of a rent increase.

There is far efficient ways of reducing your tax bill

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not necessarily. It depends on how it's been treated.

I'm in my current gaf for 8 years, and don't see any need to repaint. The OP's situation is different because s/he has lots of kids - but if the kids are young enough to be doing wall wear and tear, then they may not have been part of the equation when the OP moved in six years ago, so possibly responsibility cuts both ways.

Also, I asked about inside vs outside for a reason. Outside paint jobs are about preserving the fabric of the building, and are needed on some materials at specific intervals. But inside are usually purely cosmetic. The OP may want a repaint to make it look brighter. But need implies that the place is somehow unfit for purpose without it. I'm struggling to imagine that.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭ShiddyArze

newacc2015 wrote:
    I totally disagree. The landlord is upping the rent as he needs the money and you think he will spend over €2k without a problem? It defeats the benefit of a rent increase.

Who said he needs the money? Possibly just keeping up with the market rates.

ShiddyArze wrote: »
    Who said he needs the money? Possibly just keeping up with the market rates.

OP said the LL says he needs the money. If they are in the house without a rent increase for 6 years. The Landlords tax burden is substantial higher since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

I've painted them last 2 places I rented as the paint was old and rank looking and the landlords were fine as long as it wasn't mad colors but only 1 out of the 2 would pay for the paint. Even with the added cost I still did it because I hate magnolia walls.

Oh to be an Irish landlord, not only do you get tenants to pay for the nose for flats the size of a closet but you never have to bother with painting them either. Nice work if you can get it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

newacc2015 wrote: »
    OP said the LL says he needs the money. If they are in the house without a rent increase for 6 years. The Landlords tax burden is substantial higher since then.

Op actually said he needs to up the rent. Not that he needs the money. I'm going to guess that the op is paraphrasing when using "needs".

I don't think it's unreasonable to want the house repainted if it's in disrepair. It doesn't have to cost €2k - especially if she is willing to do it herself.

Advertisement