Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Well, architecutrally Pascal is very simmilar to Maxwell, although it is making a little move to be more like GCN,with more compute capability and more shaders.
    A-Sync is, according to the white paper of Pascal, is handled like it was in Maxwell.
    The clocks are quite nice to see, however, the 2.1GHz clock is overclocked and binned, so I wonder how easy it will be to reach it on normal models. The higher clocks are from the node jumo though, so Polaris should see the same high clocks (well, high for AMD).
    The single 8-pin is quite awesome for SFF PCs, especially considering the biggest SFF PSU is 450W.

The 1070 IMO is the better player here. Whilst it won't match the Titan X (a difference of 0.9Teraflops or so between them) I say it will come very close, perhaps beating it maybe when Overclocked.

The 1080 is too expensive IMO, but the 1070 around €360 is good value.

So, Pascal looks good on paper. Polaris will have to work hard to compete, but I wonder now how Maxwell will stand up over the next few years. Will games push this hardware hard enough in the coming years? Will we see a repeat of Maxwell and GCN1.1 with the R9 300series outperforming the Maxwell line-up (bar the top in some games)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Looks interesting.

Have a 980ti, so do not see a need to upgrade for a while yet.

I'd be interested in the heat generated, but they look class.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    The single 8-pin is quite awesome for SFF PCs, especially considering the biggest SFF PSU is 450W.

Actually... it's a bit higher than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Will wait for benches to come out but a 1080/1080ti is probably going to go on my list once wc blocks are out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Yeah, I've a feeling they were comparing OC'd 1080/1070's to unclocked Titan X and that the 2x/1x performance numbers were for the VR optimisations. Now while I'm building my first gaming PC for VR, even that doesn't help persuade me because if those optimisations are something that need to be implemented at engine level and don't work straight off the bat on anything then sure it'll be a gpu generation or two before we'd see those performance jump metrics being valid anyway.

Basically I need to wait for the reviews and benchmarks to make my decision. I want 980ti level performance at a minimum. I know the recommended VR spec is a GTX970 but I want to be able to run the AAA titles with inserted VR support like pCars and Elite Dangerous at max details or close to it. If it turns out the 1070 is 980ti performance in the real world then thats what I'll get and upgrade to large die 1080ti Q2 2017. If it turns out the Titan X performance/Twice Titan X performance figures from the event are misleading and real world the 1070 is sub 980ti performance and the 1080 is actually more like the rumoured performance jump of 25%, well then I'll be forced to get the 1080 to give me that bit of headroom to max out those aforementioned AAA games with VR support. Still upgrading to 1080ti next year though.

If news is good from the reviews I'll be saving €300 basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Any comparisons out that compare the 1080 and the 980ti

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Headshot wrote: »
    Any comparisons out that compare the 1080 and the 980ti

Reviews are embargoed until the 17th. We'll prolly see a lot of leaked benches before that tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Luke from LTT pointed out very importantly that the presentation showed nothing to do with DX! Supposedly off the record its actually 20-30% gains there which is still going to be 90% of gaming this gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭DublinBust

If AMD sort their bloody drivers out, I'll stick with my 380X until next years cards and proper HBM. It might struggle if I move to 21:9 though.

• Advertisement

Understanding that we have no benchmarks yet, how are people leaning? 70 or 80?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭finlaycm

As a 1080p screen, it would have to be a 1070 over a 1080, purely on cost, as I also don't have 2 month's rent to spend on a 1440p screen and a 1080.

I have a 780ti so not really looking to upgrade but if the 1070 beats a 980ti it might be a game changer. As you said, will need to wait on the benchmarks.

I can understand the whole enthusiast thing, but the 970 is the card brought great FPS without costing the same as a holiday. If the 1070 follows in its wake I might jump for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

I was set on the 1080 (assuming reviews are favourable), but I'd like to get a new monitor at the end of the year.... So I'm actually thinking of putting a lower end card in my new build next month (from either AMD or Nvidia), and holding off until Samsung release their new 21:9 144Hz screen. When that hits, and assuming it's not a piece of crap, I'll be going for whatever the best card is at that time, be it 1080, 1080 Ti or an AMD offering (although I don't think Polaris 10 is intended to be 1080 competition?).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Well it seems the "Founders edition" is just the Nvidia version of the 1070 and 1080 that will be available on launch day. The cheaper priced version seems to be what MSI, Evga etc will be selling.

Very odd to pay less for custom cooled versions :eek:

Venom wrote: »
    Well it seems the "Founders edition" is just the Nvidia version of the 1070 and 1080 that will be available on launch day. The cheaper priced version seems to be what MSI, Evga etc will be selling.

Very odd to pay less for custom cooled versions :eek:

Cheap custom coolers, I reckon. The better solutions (Strix, Twin Frozr etc) won't be that cheap imo.

Copied from another thread:

NVIDIA have set an interesting precedent with this though. With the founder card being $100 more than MSRP, we could get into a situation where MSRP is now "Minimum Recommended Retail Price". It could happen that partners release their stock (non-ref) cards for MSRP+$50, which would still be less than founder. So you get people going "Well, I could pay $50 less and get an awesome cooler, let's do that!" and on the surface it would seem to still be good value.

tl;dr - worried about price creep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

No doubts European customers get" f u "prices.

Anyways happy to wait for a real benchmark or two. Tiz all the same to moi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dair76 wrote: »
    Cheap custom coolers, I reckon. The better solutions (Strix, Twin Frozr etc) won't be that cheap imo.

Those aftermarket companies don't do cheap. MSI, Gigabyte, Asus and EVGA versions of any card, tend to cost 50-100 quid more than the reference models so even taking the more extreme versions of a card into account, the board partners version should be the same price if not slightly cheaper than the founders edition imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am definitely leaning 1070, but that's until I see Amds offering.
    First things first - will watch TTLs 5.7h review of of it, then will decide if it's good. The whole apple way of talking about performance ( 2X faster then your toaster, 23X times faster then your girlfriends sex toy) should be taken with a **** truck of salt.

Other then that, it's a decent upgrade from 6 series, but as always, those who are on 9 series now, most likely can skip this generation.

What I really want to see this gen - realistic second hand gpu prices. At the moment it's pure retardation levels. What is more retarded people are paying those prices for second hand gpus with no warranty. Mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

According to Overclock3d

Benchmarking Data for Nvidia's GTX 1080 have been submitted online to the Ashes of the Singularity benchmark leaderboard, with single GPU performance that can best even AMD's R9 Fury X GPU.

In the games built in benchmark, the R9 Fury X is able to achieve a score of 4300 points with an average framerate of 44.4 FPS, with the Nvidia GTX 1080 achieving a higher score of 4900 and an average framerate of 49.6.

In Ashes of the Singularity, the Nvidia GTX 1080 has framerates that are around 10-12% higher than AMD's R9 Fury X. These scores were provided by the same gamer on the same system, so this comparison should be fairly accurate.

full article here
    http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/gtx_1080_ashes_of_the_singularity_benchmarks/1

For once I'm glad I get paid around the 22nd :D

Venom wrote: »
    Those aftermarket companies don't do cheap. MSI, Gigabyte, Asus and EVGA versions of any card, tend to cost 50-100 quid more than the reference models so even taking the more extreme versions of a card into account, the board partners version should be the same price if not slightly cheaper than the founders edition imho.

In the past, there have always been a range of prices from each AIB partner. With the expensive ones you're often paying for a custom BIOS or PCB, factory overclock etc. But there have always been vanilla boards with cheaper coolers as well.

And now that the reference model is going to stay around for the life of the card, board partners can now compete at the lower MSRP as well.

Just spotted this in Anandtech's article on the Pascal launch, and haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.
    Anandtech wrote:
    A final new GPU-level feature on GP104 and the new GTX 1000 series cards is GPU Boost 3.0. Information about this is limited, but NVIDIA is saying that it supports more advanced overclocking functionality than has been present over the last couple of years with GPU Boost 2.0.

Wonder what that'll mean for OCing.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Just spotted this in Anandtech's article on the Pascal launch, and haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

Wonder what that'll mean for OCing.

Didn't they say it's going to be an overclockers dream. Pushing numbers that only a maxwell in nitrogen could achieve.

The 1080ti is gonna have to be a 4k wet dream.

Didn't they say it's going to be an overclockers dream. Pushing numbers that only a maxwell in nitrogen could achieve.

To be fair, everyone in the silicon business always ****ing says that.

It's hitting high clocks now (Maxwell on LN2 or whatever) but that's at least partly (probably mostly) due to the process node shrink. It remains to be seen how much headroom the cards will have.

It'll be especially interesting to see how the OCing goes with the 1070. I want to see how much the reduced memory bandwidth affects things. We know Pascal is stupid-fast in comparison to Maxwell, but just how much is half the memory bandwidth on the 1070 going to hamstring the card?

Serephucus wrote: »
    To be fair, everyone in the silicon business always ****ing says that.
    Haha that was what I was aiming for. I don't believe nothing till I see a benchmark that is nothing to do with nvidia jacking themselves off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

On the 970 there was no voltage control unless you had a modded bios,maybe they have re introduced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Well, Pascal IS Maxwell in a way. The specifications lend themselves to just being higher clocked (as per the node jump) and lower TDP (as per the node jump).
    So, I'm more interested in seeing the 1070 vs the 980 at equal clock speeds to see just how much a jump it is.

• Advertisement

Advertisement