Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just noticed that now myself. I'm going for the iChill 1080, core clock of almost 1800mhz which is pretty decent and it's a reasonable price for a solid card. Been staring at the basket for a few hours just thinking about it, asked the guys on the forums if they could maybe take a few % off for a good customer....would be that little nudge I need to buy (even if it was only 2%)...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I have a large order to place but can't ask them as they won't let me register a forum account! Keep rejecting me for some reason and won't tell me why.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

superg wrote: »
    A lot of AIB 1080's are still showing as TBD regarding what clocks they will ship with. Is this normal? They are due to be released very soon and the AIB's haven't decide what clocks they'll ship at the more expensive end of the scale. You can pre order cards from all of them without actually knowing what clocks it will be sold with!

Normal? No. Expected? Yes, and for every unrevealed clock speed there's an AIB frothing at the mouth and dreaming of all the ways they'd like to murder nVidia. I kinda called it - putting most or all of the high-bin in the Founders Edition has left the AIBs eff-all decent silicon to play with and very little clue about how good the silicon they are getting really is, to the point where they're practically OCing all the low- and mid-tier silicon in each card by hand. Most likely while dreaming of all the ways they want to mutilate the FE cards and several key nVidia employees while they're at it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I just got my g-sync 144hz 1440p monitor yesterday..... and I sold my PC today, literally one day later. I have a second machine handy with an i7-2600 and an r9 290 so it's still kinda fine-but-not-really, but at least now I can upgrade to a GTX1080 at no extra cost.

what monitor? and can you review?
    I've been debating getting ones for ages but all the QC issues are offputting.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Solitaire wrote: »
    Normal? No. Expected? Yes, and for every unrevealed clock speed there's an AIB frothing at the mouth and dreaming of all the ways they'd like to murder nVidia. I kinda called it - putting most or all of the high-bin in the Founders Edition has left the AIBs eff-all decent silicon to play with and very little clue about how good the silicon they are getting really is, to the point where they're practically OCing all the low- and mid-tier silicon in each card by hand. Most likely while dreaming of all the ways they want to mutilate the FE cards and several key nVidia employees while they're at it :pac:

The FE doesn't use binned chips though, in reality there were barely enough to sell on launch day lol
    I think the base clock is irrelevant now that GPUBoost 3.0 uses per voltage tweaking and it seems that AIBs are clocking out at 2.1GHz too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

FE cards use normal chips :rolleyes:

Nvidia is just selling direct to the customer but charging an extra 100 quid to not only gouge must have on day one buyers but also to keep the board partners happy.

I've always liked Nvidia's reference design, has a real premium feel and look to it. Wouldn't pay for it, but I loved my GTX690 and GTX780 reference versions and I do like the 1080 design, too. Compare that to AMD's miserable ref design....the launch R9 290 was one of the worst cards I ever bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

superg wrote: »
    I have a large order to place but can't ask them as they won't let me register a forum account! Keep rejecting me for some reason and won't tell me why.

Same thing happened to me. I thought maybe it was my joke answer to the Favourite Sport question in the Registration. WTF is that about anyway. Maybe they thought I was a Bot because I said 'Basket Weaving' :D

Calibos wrote:
    Same thing happened to me. I thought maybe it was my joke answer to the Favourite Sport question in the Registration. WTF is that about anyway. Maybe they thought I was a Bot because I said 'Basket Weaving'

It's weird. I used to have an account, same details as the shop account I have. Shop account still exists but the forum account was deleted by them at some point. I've tried to re register three times now with different email addresses but they aren't having it and they aren't arsed explaining why either. I'll take my business elsewhere.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Venom wrote: »

Nvidia is just selling direct to the customer but charging an extra 100 quid to not only gouge must have on day one buyers but also to keep the board partners happy.

Weren't they banging on about increased efficiency and OC headroom on the GPUs on those cards though? Or have they literally just started completely lying through their teeth now? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Venom wrote: »

Weren't they banging on about increased efficiency and OC headroom on the GPUs on those cards though? Or have they literally just started completely lying through their teeth now? :confused:
    They are lying through their teeth any reference design review I seen the card was throttling even on stock settings unless you put the fan speed up to 80% or higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

At least they're not holding them together with wood screws this time, so that's positive.

In the presentation they were talking about the quality of the shroud rather than the GPU, but Huang did use "the card's craftsmanship houses an even more masterfully crafted GPU"

So....not lying but, still price gouging and lying regarding temps at 2.1GHz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Any news on 1070 versions yet chaps?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Any news on 1070 versions yet chaps?

Some german sites have the founders editions at 430-450 euro for June 10th. So custom cards should be 350-400 euro mark.

Some german sites have the founders editions at 430-450 euro for June 10th. So custom cards should be 350-400 euro mark.

That's it then :D R9-290 is up for sale and 1070 will be mine! I hope they do a top end MSI red and back bad boy!

Oooooh! I see they are doing one. Clock speeds are wrong though!

OMG actually they're not wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That's it then :D R9-290 is up for sale and 1070 will be mine! I hope they do a top end MSI red and back bad boy!

Oooooh! I see they are doing one. Clock speeds are wrong though!

My 290 be going up shortly also.

Not really sure what brand to go for. A lot of people seem hot for Evga due to their RMA and customer support. I've had good experiences with MSI and the Gigabyte range seemed to be very popular.

Will there be "much" difference between the third party branded cards? Havn't been Nvidia in some time.

I got the general consensus from reading about 970's and 980's over the last few years to avoid (spellcheck) Inno, Palat and Zotac

The brand go for is highly considered, it's a multi stage process;

(i) Is it red and back like the motherboard,
    (ii) does it have flashy lights,
    (iii) shut up and take my money.

Joking aside I sorta ended up with a Z97M gaming from MSI hence why I'm going MSI. I buy from Amazon so customer service is a foregone conclusion although I end up paying a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I would also recommend buying from Amazon too due to their customer service which is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Ha still not sure which one to go with. Haven't have not had time to check. Think cooling and noise for me over super high overclocks. Perhaps a nice medium.

Still not sure on 1070/1080. The more gimmee more side wants the 1080. The other side is like meh 1070 is enough for your needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

TheDoc wrote: »
    My 290 be going up shortly also.

Not really sure what brand to go for. A lot of people seem hot for Evga due to their RMA and customer support. I've had good experiences with MSI and the Gigabyte range seemed to be very popular.

Will there be "much" difference between the third party branded cards? Havn't been Nvidia in some time.

I got the general consensus from reading about 970's and 980's over the last few years to avoid (spellcheck) Inno, Palat and Zotac

Palit and Zotac are so-so, I don't think they're bad in general.

Inno3D and KFA² are to be avoided though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You can't really go wrong with MSI, GigaByte, Asus and EVGA but maybe wait for some reviews and a conclusive round up.

BloodBath wrote: »
    You can't really go wrong with MSI, GigaByte, Asus and EVGA but maybe wait for some reviews and a conclusive round up.

I noticed the Guru3D 1070 Gaming X review is up on google but blocked, so I expect those reviews will be forthcoming very quickly. :)

Anyone know when Amazon will release the cards? Is it midnight BST or do they do it at the same time as the yanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I noticed the Guru3D 1070 Gaming X review is up on google but blocked, so I expect those reviews will be forthcoming very quickly. :)

Anyone know when Amazon will release the cards? Is it midnight BST or do they do it at the same time as the yanks?

Blocked are you sure? Pretty sure I read that.

Edit yep it's been blocked now.

Jist of it far as I can remember was it ran slightly hotter than founders one. At 38

But slightly quieter.

Had about 3-5 fps more in most games 10 in one or two over the founders 1070. At 1440p

Wasn't blown away myself but the founders 1070 such a good card anyway performance wise wasn't expecting huge leaps.

If I was to guess I'd say the gigabyte will probably be fastest model if past cards are anything to go by.

That said the msi is still a good shout. And gigabyte one usually slightly more noise with its three fans. Plus takes up more room obviously.

Blocked are you sure? Pretty sure I read that.

Edit yep it's been blocked now.

Tease!

Waddit say? :D

Inno3D model's are excellent, their ichill cards are always clocked extremely high with excellent cooling for a modest price. My last three cards have all been Inno3D ichill x3 or x4 models. The ichill x3 and x4 GTX1080s are clocked at 1760mhz and have fantastic cooling but cost less than a lot of the other models.

Personally I think I'm leaning towards a GTX1070 now as well rather than a 1080.

I've ordered the Asus strix 1080 for my new build. I'm splashing out cos I don't build often.

Judging by how AIB 1080s stack up in price to the Reference, we will probably be seeing the cheapest 1070 around €440 and the most expensive somewhere around €500.

So much for 'MSRP' thanks to nVidia's FE.

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    Judging by how AIB 1080s stack up in price to the Reference, we will probably be seeing the cheapest 1070 around €440 and the most expensive somewhere around €500.

:confused::eek::(

Edit: Well €864 for a the 1080 isn't gonna work! Might have to stay with the ol' 290 for a bit :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Eoinmc97 wrote: »

That card was 440 yesterday so don't take it for gospel.

Advertisement