Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

That card was 440 yesterday so don't take it for gospel.

:):D

Buggernuts! The Gaming X is too tall for the Air 240 Grrr...

Red and black card with max height of 120ish anyone? :pac:

Gigabyte windforce G1 - pretty please do a 1070 version!!!

(Or maybe don't then I can order the 1080 :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Inno3D model's are excellent, their ichill cards are always clocked extremely high with excellent cooling for a modest price. My last three cards have all been Inno3D ichill x3 or x4 models. The ichill x3 and x4 GTX1080s are clocked at 1760mhz and have fantastic cooling but cost less than a lot of the other models.

Personally I think I'm leaning towards a GTX1070 now as well rather than a 1080.

Inno models look nice actually. Can't help shake I saw that name crop up loads as a 970 to avoid though....

Their relatively modest pricing as you say is an attraction. At this rate I'll have to wait for next paycheque before buying, so will have 14 days of cards being in the open and getting reviews etc. so will consider them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I know from watching the 1080s for a few days that pricing for the AIBs went up and down quite a lot before it settled. The one I got started at over
    £700, went to £619.99 and finally settled at £659.99 on the UK sites. Price never moved on mindfactory which is where I ordered from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I saw that, made me re-evaluate the 1070 vs 1080. That's actually way cheaper than retailers are selling that model for and is about the same as places are charging for the crappy KFA2 and MSI plastic reference cooler models.

I saw that, made me re-evaluate the 1070 vs 1080. That's actually way cheaper than retailers are selling that model for and is about the same as places are charging for the crappy KFA2 and MSI plastic reference cooler models.

765 is the cheapest I'm getting on Amazon - where are you guys buying?

Edit: interesting Scan have it as EoL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Some interesting prices there. I was really having a debate about 2 x RX480s Vs a 1070 as an upgrade to my R290. However, this is making the decision a bit harder.
    Just noted the clock speed on the EVGA. Its the lower of the 1080s, still thought not a bad price

Right unsubbing here as I'm gonna wait and this thread is making me sad that I have to be a sensible boy :pac:

Congrats on the purchases guys and good luck with the 1070s! Very jealous! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Some interesting prices there. I was really having a debate about 2 x RX480s Vs a 1070 as an upgrade to my R290. However, this is making the decision a bit harder.
    Just noted the clock speed on the EVGA. Its the lower of the 1080s, still thought not a bad price

Never go crossfire/SLI over a single card if you can afford it. It's not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

1080 strix benchmarked and review, it's fast really fast!
    http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/asus_gtx_1080_strix_review/6

Okay I'm still lurking...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Still hard to say if AIB cards will be better. Jay seems to have been stung on the silicon lottery, and TTL didn't even both overclocking his sample, and just left the damn thing to GPUB3.0 for some reason.

Still, not looking good. Possibly the only reason to get one of these over the cheapy plastic ones will be aesthetics, and noise.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Still hard to say if AIB cards will be better. Jay seems to have been stung on the silicon lottery, and TTL didn't even both overclocking his sample, and just left the damn thing to GPUB3.0 for some reason.

Still, not looking good. Possibly the only reason to get one of these over the cheapy plastic ones will be aesthetics, and noise.

As someone who has always asked about overclocking, but then when thought about it, never had the need to do it, I guess I'm probably in an easier position to buy.

I'm noticing now with the hot weather, my Sapphire TriX 290 is an absolute VOLCANO for heat, and I've become much more conscious to the noise also.

Definitly a bit factor for me with a 1070 is going to be generated heat, and noise.

Thought I had the list narrowed then Terror has to come along and tell me the Inno are fine(when I was under the impression they were garbage) and I REALLY like their design :D

Heh, I was thinking cheapest card I could find that wouldn't use a blower fan, but then I saw EVGA's RGB card...

I'm not one for all this RGB madness that's been going on lately, but damn, that card looks good.

aBmLKW6l.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm sure they have cheap models as well, but I was talking more about the ichill x3 and x4 models which are fantastic. Always super-highly clocked, with fantastic cooling. And not much more than very basic models from other vendors. They also have dual fan models but I don't know how good or bad those are.
    I'm noticing now with the hot weather, my Sapphire TriX 290 is an absolute VOLCANO for heat, and I've become much more conscious to the noise also.

I also have that exact 290 in a backup PC and the heat was so bad I had to move it to a new case last week with more fans. The fans were roaring like a hairdryer about 2 minutes into Doom.

I LOL'd. :D

I'm sure they have cheap models as well, but I was talking more about the ichill x3 and x4 models which are fantastic. Always super-highly clocked, with fantastic cooling. And not much more than very basic models from other vendors. They also have dual fan models but I don't know how good or bad those are.

I also have that exact 290 in a backup PC and the heat was so bad I had to move it to a new case last week with more fans. The fans were roaring like a hairdryer about 2 minutes into Doom.

Yeah when playing Division noticing it big time. Having to have the windows open in the room and basically sweating bullets while playing. Misses thinks im palying some SERIOUSLY intense games, just as I read boards or something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

TheDoc wrote: »
    Yeah when playing Division noticing it big time. Having to have the windows open in the room and basically sweating bullets while playing. Misses thinks im palying some SERIOUSLY intense games, just as I read boards or something :D

Your saving a fortune on heating though ... (despite the fact that its summer time atm)

I also find my 390 which is a rebrand a retweak of the same card is also getting very hot the last while with the increase in temp.

• Advertisement

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Your saving a fortune on heating though ... (despite the fact that its summer time atm)

I also find my 390 which is a rebrand a retweak of the same card is also getting very hot the last while with the increase in temp.

I'm not kidding when I was I was actually planning on the computer being part of the heating in my Den!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'm not kidding when I was I was actually planning on the computer being part of the heating in my Den!

And it doubles up as a sauna in the summer, what more could you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Hahaha I've a 390x and a i7 930 all over clocked to feck, serious heating potential :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Any pricing yet - suspense is killing me!

My current thinking:

1070 / 1080 - €400 / €700 = I'm getting a 1070
    1070 / 1080 - €500 / €700 = I'm getting a 1080

If the 1070 is €450, I think I'll just not expend the effort making a decision and wait for the 1080 Ti. :P

Serephucus wrote: »
    My current thinking:

1070 / 1080 - €400 / €700 = I'm getting a 1070
    1070 / 1080 - €500 / €700 = I'm getting a 1080

If the 1070 is €450, I think I'll just not expend the effort making a decision and wait for the 1080 Ti. :P

My current thinking is 1070/1080 > €1 I'm in trouble with the wife.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Nvidias RRP is 379 euro so anything under 400 is a purchase for me.

My current thinking is 1070/1080 > €1 I'm in trouble with the wife.

"What, this old thing? They were doing a clearout in work of old parts and got it for free"

• Advertisement

Is it? Pretty sure that's only Dollars. Could be wrong though.

Even so, that's in theory. Unfortunately what I was worried about happening has happened: Most manufactures took NVIDIA's pricing and went "Well as long as we're less than that, who cares?!" so almost none of them are pricing things at RRP.

Advertisement